This Could Be the Last Time

Texsox

I haven't looked at the standings in weeks. I haven't memorized the schedule for the next couple weeks. I haven't thought about playoff chances.

We made two passes through Chicago this summer and didn't catch a game (I assume tickets were available lol). Cancelled my MLB package and Athletic. Didn't check to see if they were playing in any cities our road trip took us near. Drove from Texas to Maine and never listened to a game. I'm planning on cancelling my sat radio as well. 

It's happened a couple times before. Late 80s when my kids were born. Again around the turn of the century when I moved to Texas. But I always knew I'd be back. This time, maybe not.

I thought during retirement I'd spend a couple weeks following the team on a road trip and catch spring training every year. Now I'm thinking I'll be a bandwagon jumper if they ever rebound in my lifetime. 

I'm thinking Omaha will be my new favorite baseball party each year. 

• Like 5

You should re-title this "finding a reason to watch" and make it a season long discussion, as at this point I think most of us are about where you. For me, I don't really see any reason to watch other than that it's baseball and it's the sound track of summer, especially post ASG and there's really nothing to fill the sports calendar until Labor Day. I will tune into some random games here and there, even if the team never gets more than 10 under .500.

i am not giving up on the White Sox. But I have expanded my scope to include a seasonal subscription to MLB Extra Innings. Following only the up and down White Sox would swirl me into a deep depression. I am finding the Reds, Orioles, Pirates, and Tigers to be more enjoyable to watch as a supplement to the unpredictable White Sox. Of course, I do wish for the White Sox to be successful.

I've definitely been watching less and pursuing other hobbies. I still tend to follow the games on MLB's app or website as they go on. I tend to search for something positive, so it's nice to think about Luis Robert's good play and the whole Jake Burger phenomenon. But the team doesn't stir much emotion anymore, I hoped they would but the personnel moves over the past 12-18 months or so have left less and less to be hoped for. There's a lot of apathy now. I'm not really mad at anyone, I don't think Jerry is the worst owner ever or a tightass or whatever. I think people are trying their best and they aren't good enough. The Sox are not widely watched or cared about and it's probably better that way because the team would be more fully exposed as an embarrassment under a brighter spotlight.

But I'll always be hanging on waiting for them to pull me closer. And of course I still track everybody's stats and so on looking for something. One thing that hasn't changed is I feel no pull towards another baseball team. Some are likable, some aren't, but none are the Sox to me. I sometimes wonder how I would react if Jerry sold the team and it moved out of Chicago to become the Nashville Guitars or whatever. I think I'd just be done with this lifelong passion, I'm just too loyal to this team. It's Sox or nothing, but for now that does mean there's more nothing than usual.

• Love 1

Between adult responsibilities and Jerry Reinsdorf, my fandom has waivered over time. Currently in following but boycott Jerry until the Reinsdorfs are out. Will likely attend 20 + games a year once / if they are before I die.

• Dual Sox/Cubs fan ages 6-9 (1975-1978)
  • Excusive Sox fan after NW side Cub fans gave me s%*# age 10 (1979-1990). Had weekend season tickets, went to 1983 playoffs, worked at the ballpark in 1986.
  • Attended first night game at Comiskey II on scalped tickets, boycotted beyond free tickets through 2002.
  • Broke boycott, attended a significant number of games (2003-2006).
  • Busy with work, followed team but not closely (2007-2018), attended games when I could.
  • Retired in July 2019, attended many games in second half. Excited with rebuild and to attend first ever Spring Training March 2020. Postponed season tickets until 2021 due to planned long trip to Hawaii, Australia, New Zealand in September / October 2020), but planned on going to many 2020 games through August.
  • Government lockdowns and Jerry cancelled most of 2020, owner lockout out in 2022, Jerry's treatment of minor league players,  Boycotting until Jerry and family are gone, still following most games.

Going to first Sox game since spring training 2020 on Saturday (comped tickets, won't spend a penny inside). Mikolas vs. Touki the likely starters LMAO. First regular season game since the Doubleheader on Saturday September 28th, 2019.

17 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

You should re-title this "finding a reason to watch" and make it a season long discussion, as at this point I think most of us are about where you. For me, I don't really see any reason to watch other than that it's baseball and it's the sound track of summer, especially post ASG and there's really nothing to fill the sports calendar until Labor Day. I will tune into some random games here and there, even if the team never gets more than 10 under .500.

That's a great idea. I'm going to start a thread but chance it slightly.