southsider2k5

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Beatles

Nirvana

Run DMC

Agreed. The above definitely had a huge impression on their genre. I'll add a few more and probably get flamed in the process.....

Heavy Metal: Metallica (Kill 'em All-And Justice for All)

Pop Music: Michael Jackson

Guitar Virtuosity: Jimi Hendrix

in no particular order

Michael Jackson 80s -see every boy/girl band ever

The Pixies 90s -see nirvana and rock and roll since '90

Hendrix 70s -no need to explain

REM/radiohead 90s-00s -have you heard music lately EDITED

ok, the beatles 60s -yeah...whatever

The Ramones pretty much influenced every British punk band in 1977, either by love or hate. Seemed like every band that didn't credit the Ramones as an influence wanted to one-up them.

Alice Cooper was an influencial performer in the area of shock value and stage presence.

Wasn't that Steve Dahl's band??

Very influential.  They influenced the s*** out of that second game against Detroit on that an ill-fated August day 1979.

That was pre-band. That was when you could join the insane coho lips and get a membership card and black Loop t-shirts were very cool.

I always felt Dahl took too much of the blame for disco demolition. The organization approved the event and he followed the script exactly as planned. Of course it was probably the best thing possible for his career.

I thought I checked once before but I believe it was one of the top 3 crowds that season and the largest for a double header in 10 years.

What was Brandmeier's band?

After reading the Paul McCartney thread I am curious to hear what more people think. 

My list in no particular order

Glenn Miller

Frank Sinatra

The Beatles

Nirvana

Run DMC

in total transcendant changed the culture and music and everything influence: only the Beatles

in the next tier: Elvis

in the next tier: Nirvana

I am not so sure about Frank Sinatra and Glenn Miller. While at the very top of what they did, I am not sure that anything was changed (influenced) by them. Big band and pop vocalists were around at every point relevant for both of them. I would put Eminem in this category of people who were/are the zenith of their art form but were the perfection of it, not the influence that created or sustained it.

RunDMC is an interesting choice. I am not sure about that, but I don't have a replacement for them either so I leave it. As to which one band moved rap into the mainstream, there are other possibilities and RumDMC also qualifies as influences within rap.

A lot of other names out there are interesting but then that is like Eddie Cochran or Buddy Holly, major talents and influences but not creme de la creme of influence. I like your short list.

Obviously, IMO The Beatles were the biggest musical influence...and I agree that what The Who brought to music was unmistakable, if thats a word. I'm gonna add a couple here that are influential to me, of not the world:

OutKast---Yeah, I know, doesnt seem right, but what those 2 do lyrically, and the mix of jazz, rock, metal, etc. is amazing if you just sit back and listen,

Fiona Apple--- To me, she is the first real younger generation female who can just sit on a Piano and play music from the heart. She was the first IMO to do so in quite a while.

Foo Fighters--- IMO, what Dave Grohl has done Post-Nirvana has far outweighed what he did with them. His ability to cover each instrument with his group, his vocals and lyrics, and the fact that everything they do gets better and better.

OK, so not the most groundbreaking artists, but those that influence my musical background the most right now.

Obviously, IMO The Beatles were the biggest musical influence...and I agree that what The Who brought to music was unmistakable, if thats a word. I'm gonna add a couple here that are influential to me, of not the world:

OutKast---Yeah, I know, doesnt seem right, but what those 2 do lyrically, and the mix of jazz, rock, metal, etc. is amazing if you just sit back and listen,

Fiona Apple--- To me, she is the first real younger generation female who can just sit on a Piano and play music from the heart. She was the first IMO to do so in quite a while.

Foo Fighters--- IMO, what Dave Grohl has done Post-Nirvana has far outweighed what he did with them. His ability to cover each instrument with his group, his vocals and lyrics, and the fact that everything they do gets better and better.

OK, so not the most groundbreaking artists, but those that influence my musical background the most right now.

If I were to pick out the female artist, I would say all roads lead back to Janis Joplin. There would be no Fiona Apple without Janis.

If I were to pick out the female artist, I would say all roads lead back to Janis Joplin. There would be no Fiona Apple without Janis.

laugh all you want, but Oasis opened a huge door for european artists back in '94-'95

laugh all you want, but Oasis opened a huge door for european artists back in '94-'95

And remember what the lead singer caused an uproar by saying? Oasis was going to be the next Beatles :bang

And remember what the lead singer caused an uproar by saying? Oasis was going to be the next Beatles :bang

on a smaller scale, they were....so :bang you....

That may be one of the most ignorant quotes ever to come from the mouth of a human being... :fyou Oasis

That may be one of the most ignorant quotes ever to come from the mouth of a human being... :fyou Oasis

which part?? cos if you disagree with me, you obviously haven't heard bands like blur, the verve, radiohead, travis, f***ING COLDPLAY....

thanks for one-upping MY ignorant statement