Most influencial artists and bands

southsider2k5

I'll solve al the Brit Pop arguments for you right now (yeah, right).

xtc has been the most influential and innovative brit band since the late 70s, and they continue to reinvent their musical forms in apositive direction. It's hard to believe the same rough-edged (though obviously gifted) band on Go2 and White Music gould have been where the were on Black Sea just a few years later, let alone ever putting down anything like Skylarking. Oranges and Lemons and Nonsuch maybe sound a little to similar, but when you're at the top of your game there is little impetus to change. With the Virgin Records legal battles and the departure of virtuoso multi-instrumentalist Dave Gregory during the 3 year hiatus, I figured the band was done. Apple Venus 1 ws a little lacking in contrasts for me, and I missed Dave's light touch on orchestral arrangements. But AV2-Wasp Star... Wow. Andy and Collin, lean and mean and still writing the only British pop with a cerebral element to it.

And those Dukes of Stratosphere were pretty rocking too...

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're gonna talk about influential britpop - I'd look at Modern Life is Rubbish and Parklife as fodder for the rest of the mid 90s brit pop pretenders. Both excellent albums worthy of a relisten, and Blur is one of the best UK bands of the decade - far better than Oasis, which did release the Best Beatles album since "Let It Be" with "Definitely Maybe"

By the way, take a listen at the pirated Smiley Smile albums and tell me that a lot of melodic pop isn't influenced by that heavily.

Oh yeah, and the story about James Brown... there was something that happened in the African American community of Boston in 1964 or 1965 and there was a great fear of riots that night... apparently rumors and all... so James Brown arranged for his show to be broadcast on WGBH, the PBS station... they broadcast it once and immediately repeated it... and everyone stayed in to watch the show. How cool is that? I saw it on VH1 a while ago so it must be true! :rolleyes:

I'll solve al the Brit Pop arguments for you right now (yeah, right).

xtc has been the most influential and innovative brit band since the late 70s, and they continue to reinvent their musical forms in apositive direction. It's hard to believe the same rough-edged (though obviously gifted) band on Go2 and White Music gould have been where the were on Black Sea just a few years later, let alone ever putting down anything like Skylarking.  Oranges and Lemons and Nonsuch maybe sound a little to similar, but when you're at the top of your game there is little impetus to change.  With the Virgin Records legal battles and the departure of virtuoso multi-instrumentalist Dave Gregory during the 3 year hiatus, I figured the band was done.  Apple Venus 1 ws a little lacking in contrasts for me, and I missed Dave's light touch on orchestral arrangements.  But AV2-Wasp Star... Wow.  Andy and Collin, lean and mean and still writing the only British pop with a cerebral element to it.

And those Dukes of Stratosphere were pretty rocking too...

XTC is definitely in there dude, but not the be all end all.

Faith No More  :snr

Bjork  :snr

Captain Beefheart and his Magic Band :snr

Velvet Underground :snr

David Bowie :snr

Einsturzende Neubauten :snr

Pigface (from Chicago!)  :snr

The Clash  :snr

The Pixies :snr

Spinal Tap  :lolhitting

While I love the Clash, they were influenced by the Sex Pistols so you'd have to include them as well.

As far as the Beatles they influenced bands like nsync and backstreet boys :puke more than anyone else.

Um, I saw Dylan's name mentioned but not nearly enough, so again BOB DYLAN!

Bob Marley anyone?

Janis Joplin definitely.

Don't think I saw The Doors mentioned. :huh:

Velvet Underground makes my list.

The Ramones

and how about the Rolling Stones :snr

As far as the Beatles they influenced bands like nsync and backstreet boys :puke more than anyone else.

Um, I saw Dylan's name mentioned but not nearly enough, so again BOB DYLAN!

Bob Marley anyone?

Janis Joplin definitely.

Don't think I saw The Doors mentioned. :huh:

Velvet Underground makes my list.

The Ramones

and how about the Rolling Stones :snr

That first line you typed there bones r, that was a joke right?

Go listen to almost any rock band out there right now, and see if they dont list The Beatles as one of their main influences. BANDS, people that play music and write it, not people that sing lyrics written by others.