2024 Starting Rotation Discussion

caulfield12

However unlikely it is, I'd say there's a non-zero chance a new GM could sign Giolito in the 2024 offseason if Katz is still around. I only think this after reading Vinnie Duber's piece on Gio:

https://allchgo.com/2023/07/10/with-first-half-in-the-books-time-to-find-out-if-lucas-giolito-white-sox-wishes-come-true/

As @Y2Jimmy0 has pointed out on the FutureSox pod, new CBA rules make it so that tanking multiple years doesn't make sense anymore. So bringing back Gio (again, if he's open to it) isn't the worst plan.

It's not pretty, but I could see this:

1. Gio
2. Cease
3. Kopech
4. Toussaint 
5. Martin

Schlotens / Banks / Crochet are longmen, especially to build Crochet's arm strength.

30 minutes ago, Quin said:

However unlikely it is, I'd say there's a non-zero chance a new GM could sign Giolito in the 2024 offseason if Katz is still around. I only think this after reading Vinnie Duber's piece on Gio:

https://allchgo.com/2023/07/10/with-first-half-in-the-books-time-to-find-out-if-lucas-giolito-white-sox-wishes-come-true/

As @Y2Jimmy0 has pointed out on the FutureSox pod, new CBA rules make it so that tanking multiple years doesn't make sense anymore. So bringing back Gio (again, if he's open to it) isn't the worst plan.

It's not pretty, but I could see this:

1. Gio
2. Cease
3. Kopech
4. Toussaint 
5. Martin

Schlotens / Banks / Crochet are longmen, especially to build Crochet's arm strength.

Forgot about Martin...but we know very well expecting much from a TJ recovery first year back is pretty unsound policy.

And it's not like Martin was ever a can't miss guy in the first place.  He outperformed nearly everyone's pretty minimal expectations.

3 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

They'll sign some end of the road guys to one year deals hoping to catch lightening in a bottle like they always do. 

This is what I expect. They’ll run it back with most of the team from this year intact. No way Jerry is signing off on another rebuild.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

1 minute ago, Bob Sacamano said:

This is what I expect. They’ll run it back with most of the team from this year intact. No way Jerry is signing off on another rebuild.

Garfein on his latest podcast said JR is "miserable" and won't go for another rebuild/tear down. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Another reason I could see Giolito pulling a Chapman with a new GM.

Aaron Nola also feels like a Sox rebound contract.

I'm just praying for rapid ascension of Montgomery and Ramos, in addition to Sosa and Colas clicking. Cause signing cannon fodder won't cut it.

37 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Garfein on his latest podcast said JR is "miserable" and won't go for another rebuild/tear down. 

Good. No more tank jobs. Punting away a whole season only to draft guys like Nick Madrigal and Andrew Vaughn is not the way to roll. 

The catch lighting bottle approach and hope everything clicks is the only way forward with this organization as long as JR is owner. 

It's shocking how fast a team short on SPs, turned the page on Reynaldo.   Reynaldo is not a high leverage bullpen arm and gets you nothing in a trade.  Should already have been stretched out to start, while we await the moves of Lynn and Giolito.  The Sox aren't going anywhere this season and most likely next. Lopez would be a nice healthy arm to experiment with, back in the rotation and most likely would sign here for very cheap if given that opportunity again. 

• Thanks 1