This Day In Sox History...July 21

Lip Man 1

July 21, 1997 – Enroute to a 3-0 win over the Tigers, Wilson Alvarez became the first Sox pitcher to ever strike out four hitters in a single inning. It happened in the seventh inning at Tiger Stadium. Alvarez struck out Tony Clark, Phil Nevin struck out but reached first base on a wild pitch, Melvin Nieves struck out and Alvarez finished the inning striking out Orlando Miller. Alvarez would strike out nine Tigers in a little over seven innings pitched.   

July 21, 2019 – It was a controversial decision in the minds of some, including national members of the media but long time White Sox outfielder/DH Harold Baines was voted into the Hall of Fame via the Veterans Committee.

Baines was the overall number one pick in the 1977 draft by the White Sox and had made his way to the Major Leagues by 1980. He spent over 12 years with the franchise starting in right field before a knee injury moved him permanently to the DH role.

He was a key member of the 1983 “Winnin’ Ugly” White Sox who won the Western Division with 99 victories and represented the organization in four All-Star Games.

He is among the all-time franchise leaders in games played, at bats, home runs, walks, runs scored, RBI’s, hits, extra base hits, total bases, doubles and 20+ home run seasons.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

July 21, 1997 – Enroute to a 3-0 win over the Tigers, Wilson Alvarez became the first Sox pitcher to ever strike out four hitters in a single inning. It happened in the seventh inning at Tiger Stadium. Alvarez struck out Tony Clark, Phil Nevin struck out but reached first base on a wild pitch, Melvin Nieves struck out and Alvarez finished the inning striking out Orlando Miller. Alvarez would strike out nine Tigers in a little over seven innings pitched.   

July 21, 2019 – It was a controversial decision in the minds of some, including national members of the media but long time White Sox outfielder/DH Harold Baines was voted into the Hall of Fame via the Veterans Committee.

Baines was the overall number one pick in the 1977 draft by the White Sox and had made his way to the Major Leagues by 1980. He spent over 12 years with the franchise starting in right field before a knee injury moved him permanently to the DH role.

He was a key member of the 1983 “Winnin’ Ugly” White Sox who won the Western Division with 99 victories and represented the organization in four All-Star Games.

He is among the all-time franchise leaders in games played, at bats, home runs, walks, runs scored, RBI’s, hits, extra base hits, total bases, doubles and 20+ home run seasons.  

Other than 2005, one of my favorite seasons.

Picture 1 of 7

• Like 2
  • Fire 1

56 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

Other than 2005, one of my favorite seasons.

Picture 1 of 7

this was a decade before I was born but the early 80s Sox is my favorite (non 2005) rendition of the team. Lots of fun players and a much better logo/jerseys. 

• Like 1
  • Hawk 1

14 hours ago, nrockway said:

this was a decade before I was born but the early 80s Sox is my favorite (non 2005) rendition of the team. Lots of fun players and a much better logo/jerseys. 

They were so good in both hitting and pitching. A extremely fun team to watch. It was heartbreaking we didn't go further. They obviously played in the old Comiskey Park which was not an easy place to hit home runs like it is now in GR, but they did hit a lot of them with Kittle, Luzinski, Fisk and Baines.  Plus we had four great starters in Hoyt, Dotson, Bannister and Burns. I know some Sox fans don't like that Sunday uniform they wear now at Sunday home games, but you're right the jersey and hat were very cool too.

• Fire 1