This Day In Sox History...July 24

Lip Man 1

July 24, 1960 - In the first game of a double header at New York, future Hall of Famer Nellie Fox banged out his 2,000th career hit. On the afternoon he’d have a pair in the 6-3 Sox victory.

The hit came in the first inning on a single to left field off of Jim Coates.  The Sox would split the double header for the day.

July 24, 1968 - Sox relief pitcher Hoyt Wilhelm appeared in both ends of a double header versus the Athletics at Comiskey Park and in doing so set the record for most appearances by a pitcher. The future Hall of Famer broke Cy Young’s record of 906 games. “Old Tilt” would appear in a staggering 1,070 games before he retired. 

Wilhelm became the top relief pitcher of the 1960's. In his six years with the Sox, he’d win 41 games and save 99 others while producing some astonishingly low ERA’s considering he threw the knuckleball. His highest ERA between 1963 and 1968 was 2.64, every other season it was below two.

July 24, 2020 – Because of the worldwide Coronavirus pandemic the regular season started four months later than normal. A bizarre, bastardized 60 game season was ordered by Commissioner Rob Manfred after the owners and players union could not agree on a longer schedule.  

There were also new bizarre rules put in place, while many people questioned the wisdom of sports being playing while thousands were getting infected and many were dying.

For the White Sox, hoping to build on three years of rebuilding and a terrific off season, they hosted the Twins who beat them up 10-5 putting a damper immediately on things.

July 24, 2022 – After many years of waiting and coming close, White Sox great Orestes “Minnie” Minoso was inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame. The “Cuban Comet” was the first Latin player to excel in the Major Leagues and opened the door, much like Jackie Robinson did for Negros, to the wealth of talent in Mexico and Central America. 

Minoso was a six-time All-Star representing the White Sox, was named the American League Rookie of the Year by The Sporting News in 1951, won two Gold Gloves with the White Sox and led the league at various times in triples, stolen bases and hit by pitches. He batted over .300 seven times with the Sox, scored 100 or more runs four times and drove in at least 100 RBI’s four times. His combination of speed and power were unique for the time period.

He ranks among the franchise all-time leaders in triples, at bats, walks, runs scored, RBI’s, hit by pitches, hits, total bases, on-base percentage, doubles, extra base hits and OPS.

July 24, 2022 – Sox starting pitcher Dylan Cease was masterful in beating Cleveland at Guaranteed Rate Field. Cease went six innings allowing no runs on seven hits, striking out four in the 6-3 win.

That marked his 11th consecutive start allowing one run or fewer which tied the modern era record for pitchers. It had only happened twice before.

Bob Gibson of the Cardinals did it in 1968 and the Mets Jacob deGrom turned the trick in the 2021 season.

• Like 1

Even though I was in Vietnam in 1968 I remember Wilhelm breaking the record because the story and a picture made the front page of the AFVN edition of the Stars and Stripes newspaper, even though the Sox had their first losing season in 17 years in 1968 I went around the barracks showing all my buddies the picture that accompanied the story about Wilhelm, made me proud to be a White Sox fan.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

July 24, 1960 - In the first game of a double header at New York, future Hall of Famer Nellie Fox banged out his 2,000th career hit. On the afternoon he’d have a pair in the 6-3 Sox victory.

The hit came in the first inning on a single to left field off of Jim Coates.  The Sox would split the double header for the day.

July 24, 1968 - Sox relief pitcher Hoyt Wilhelm appeared in both ends of a double header versus the Athletics at Comiskey Park and in doing so set the record for most appearances by a pitcher. The future Hall of Famer broke Cy Young’s record of 906 games. “Old Tilt” would appear in a staggering 1,070 games before he retired. 

Wilhelm became the top relief pitcher of the 1960's. In his six years with the Sox, he’d win 41 games and save 99 others while producing some astonishingly low ERA’s considering he threw the knuckleball. His highest ERA between 1963 and 1968 was 2.64, every other season it was below two.

July 24, 2020 – Because of the worldwide Coronavirus pandemic the regular season started four months later than normal. A bizarre, bastardized 60 game season was ordered by Commissioner Rob Manfred after the owners and players union could not agree on a longer schedule.  

There were also new bizarre rules put in place, while many people questioned the wisdom of sports being playing while thousands were getting infected and many were dying.

For the White Sox, hoping to build on three years of rebuilding and a terrific off season, they hosted the Twins who beat them up 10-5 putting a damper immediately on things.

July 24, 2022 – After many years of waiting and coming close, White Sox great Orestes “Minnie” Minoso was inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame. The “Cuban Comet” was the first Latin player to excel in the Major Leagues and opened the door, much like Jackie Robinson did for Negros, to the wealth of talent in Mexico and Central America. 

Minoso was a six-time All-Star representing the White Sox, was named the American League Rookie of the Year by The Sporting News in 1951, won two Gold Gloves with the White Sox and led the league at various times in triples, stolen bases and hit by pitches. He batted over .300 seven times with the Sox, scored 100 or more runs four times and drove in at least 100 RBI’s four times. His combination of speed and power were unique for the time period.

He ranks among the franchise all-time leaders in triples, at bats, walks, runs scored, RBI’s, hit by pitches, hits, total bases, on-base percentage, doubles, extra base hits and OPS.

July 24, 2022 – Sox starting pitcher Dylan Cease was masterful in beating Cleveland at Guaranteed Rate Field. Cease went six innings allowing no runs on seven hits, striking out four in the 6-3 win.

That marked his 11th consecutive start allowing one run or fewer which tied the modern era record for pitchers. It had only happened twice before.

Bob Gibson of the Cardinals did it in 1968 and the Mets Jacob deGrom turned the trick in the 2021 season.

I was at the ballpark for that Dylan Cease game. If we had a better pitching coach, we might just be able to get him back to that 2022 form.

3 hours ago, The Mighty Mite said:

Even though I was in Vietnam in 1968 I remember Wilhelm breaking the record because the story and a picture made the front page of the AFVN edition of the Stars and Stripes newspaper, even though the Sox had their first losing season in 17 years in 1968 I went around the barracks showing all my buddies the picture that accompanied the story about Wilhelm, made me proud to be a White Sox fan.

Mighty Im ex Navy, too young for Vietnam but thank you for yr service Sir

• Like 1