7/25 Game Thread: Cubs @ White Sox 7:10CT

8 minutes ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

He's been passable at 3B.  He probably has no future as a second baseman.  Just put Moncada at 2B where he has played a lot before and leave Burger at 3B where his defense has improved.  

Downgrading defense at two positions has never made much sense to me, but I am more open than I ever have been to moving Yoan around.  Mainly just because there is really nowhere else to play Burger with Eloy and AV on this roster, and they should all play when they're healthy enough to.    

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Quin said:

I will add that the funniest outcome is Vaughn and Burger defeating the Cubs with defense.

Would say the best defensive alignment today is 

• C Zavala 1B Grandal 2B Remillard
  • SS Anderson 3B Moncada
  • LF Benintrndi CF Robert RF Colas

Not sure if Eloy will ever be healthy enough to play OF or 1B regularly. 

Hahn should have placed Vaughn on the IL last week and played Eloy DH and Burger 1B through the deadline, move one or both at the deadline. 

Move Tim and Yoan next deadline or this off-season with both playing for FA contracts for max value.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Cubs have four starters 2.0 + bWAR. First I’ve heard of Tauchman (1.4).

IL’d Madrigal (1.0) higher than all Sox beyond Robert (Benintendi 1.0 is second).

Hahn is worse than Ryan Pace and Gar Forman, the nut low.

Hahn is worse than Ryan Pace and Gar Forman, the nut low.

As horesh*t as Ryan Pace and Gar Forman were, Rick Hahn is way worse than either of them. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Would say the best defensive alignment today is 

• C Zavala 1B Grandal 2B Remillard
  • SS Anderson 3B Moncada
  • LF Benintrndi CF Robert RF Colas

Not sure if Eloy will ever be healthy enough to play OF or 1B regularly. 

Hahn should have placed Vaughn on the IL last week and played Eloy DH and Burger 1B through the deadline, move one or both at the deadline. 

Move Tim and Yoan next deadline or this off-season with both playing for FA contracts for max value.

Man all I want is for Vaughn and Burger to turn a triple play.

So disgraceful. You move Moncada to second and keep Burger at third. But they can't do that ostensibly because Moncada would be furious. I would think Burger will be a disaster turning the DP. His range will be very poor at 2B IMO. This is insanity. If you are afraid of making moncada mad, keep him at third and play Elvis (LOL) at 2nd. The lost defense will cost the Sox cause Burger hits HRs once in a while but that's about it, once in a while.

• Like 1
  • TLR 1

3 minutes ago, Jerry McNertney said:

The current Cubs team is somewhat better than the White Sox, with that in mind, the Cubs should sweep. But, baseball is goofy series to series, I wouldn't be surprised if the Sox get a split.

Fangraph's fWAR

• Starting Pitchers Cubs: Hendricks 0.9 & Stroman 2.5 over Kopech -0.2 and Lynn 0.6
  • Bullpen White Sox: White Sox rank 8th overall across The MLB over the Chicago Cubs 28th
  • Tie: Grandal and Gomes both have a 0.6 fWAR.
  • First Base: Bellinger 2.8 over Vaughn 0.0.
  • Second Base: Horner 2.4 over Burger 1.0
  • Third Base: Moncada 0.2 over Mastrobuoni 0.0
  • Shortstop: Swanson 3.0 over Anderson -0.5
  • Leftfield: Happ 1.9 over Benintendi 1.0
  • Centerfield: Robert 4.0 over Tauchman 1.0
  • Rightfield: Suzuki 1.0 over Colas -0.6
  • Designated Hitter: Morel 1.0 over Jimenez 0.7

6 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Have to justify that salary some how. 

Seriously I won't be surprised at all when Hahn announces in October that he needs back surgery.

I really hope he went to an outside doctor because the Sox staff is incompetent at best.

So many players tried to muddle through players the past few years (Grandal, Robert) which any other competent and forward thinking organization would have shut the same players down and provided the correct course of treatment from the start.

Edited by South Side Hit Men