Giolito & Reynaldo to LAA. Update: Angels put on waivers

Sleepy Harold

17 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

They weren’t owed much at all, prorated 10.4M and 3M.  Can’t imagine that’s gonna sweeten the deal that much 

Exactly my point.  Just shy of 4 million plus whatever the penalty LAA faces. 

The reasoning is that LAA staying out of the tax for another year might have had some value.  

17 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

On the latest Podcast that dropped today McGuffey again said that Hahn wanted to sign nine figure players for the clubhouse. Then he stopped and just let that remark hang there. He had previously said on Podcasts that the rebuild failed because the front office wasn't allowed to finish the job. 

No defending Hahn who should have been fired years ago but the blame just doesn't start and stop with him. 

Why is all this stuff about Hahn wanting to spend 9 figures players leaking now? Where were these questions or commentary 3 or 4 years ago when Hahn was enacting his friends and family plan instead of just paying market rate for Machado? 

Is Chicago Sports media really so soft now? It seems like nothing but softball questions these days. Is the fear that the Sox will pull access if any probing or difficult questions are asked? 

• Like 2
  • Fire 1

5 minutes ago, LittleHurtCG said:

Why is all this stuff about Hahn wanting to spend 9 figures players leaking now? Where were these questions or commentary 3 or 4 years ago when Hahn was enacting his friends and family plan instead of just paying market rate for Machado? 

Is Chicago Sports media really so soft now? It seems like nothing but softball questions these days. Is the fear that the Sox will pull access if any probing or difficult questions are asked? 

The Sox payroll is double Cleveland's. JR has been cheap, but Rick has spent money foolishly. It's not the reason the team sucks.

• Fire 1

6 minutes ago, LittleHurtCG said:

Rick Hahn deserves to be fired but he had nothing to do with not signing Manny Machado or Bryce Harper. Those are ownership decisions. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Rick Hahn deserves to be fired but he had nothing to do with not signing Manny Machado or Bryce Harper. Those are ownership decisions. 

Or Keuchel after Wheeler was off the table...it's almost like the money had to be spent or it would have been gone from the "war chest."

2 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I understand that. The timing of some of the stuff that is leaking out seems a bit convienent and suspicious to me. Also, Jerry isn't going to do any press interviews and take questions so that is why Hahn is being brought up. 

5 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

The idea that the GM has no influence in who they attempt to sign remains silly.

They clearly tried! They thought they could get them both on the cheap, they leaked their offer to Machado to the point it got featured by the official MLB twitter feed, they bought into the friends and family plan, they met with Harper at the Winter Meetings and made a presentation to him, they failed to put any offer on the table for Harper at the end, they talked at Soxfest about signing "Multiple middle of the order hitters". Jerry Reinsdorf didn't do any of these things!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Have you ever seen Yoan Moncada?  Dude is basically built like a linebacker.  Acting like eating a bunch of Twinkies means anything is ridiculous.

The swing & miss was a concern, but was still able to be a +4 win player despite high K rates.  His problems since COVID have been physical.

Stop with the COVID excuse please, and yes his eating a box of Twinkies a day would draw concern from a Doctor or a nutritionist.  Think Derek Rose and his skittles or whatever candy he was consuming in mass.  Can't be good for your health or body.  Look at pictures of Yoan from his rookie year when he was lean and didn't look like a linebacker with a body more conducive to baseball than football.

• Like 1
  • Fire 2

35 minutes ago, A-Train to 35th said:

Stop with the COVID excuse please, and yes his eating a box of Twinkies a day would draw concern from a Doctor or a nutritionist.  Think Derek Rose and his skittles or whatever candy he was consuming in mass.  Can't be good for your health or body.  Look at pictures of Yoan from his rookie year when he was lean and didn't look like a linebacker with a body more conducive to baseball than football.

Well said. I agree with you that Covid crap is ridiculous. There are tons of pro athletes who had covid and are excelling in their sport.

Maybe if Moncada would have had maintained better nutritional habits and had better physical training, he might have been able to keep that lean weight and continue to play 2nd base which is what he was brought here for. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don't know if this was posted on SoxTalk earlier here or in another post and if it was sorry for the redundancy. 

Lucas Giolito is starting tonight for the Angels at the Blue Jays. I hope he has a great game and can show Hahn and Jerry what a losing embarrassment they both are.

Actually Gio pitched well against the Blue Jays earlier this year in his one outing vs. the Blue Jays. He gave up only 2 runs through 6 innings and left with a 3-2 lead. Go figure though, Kelly gave up 2 more runs in relief and the Sox lost 4-3. 

Edited by The Kids Can Play
  • Like 2
  • Fire 1

2 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

How is his defense?

I thought initially his defense was the only thing he had to offer, at the very least he has a cannon for an arm and a great CS rate, but his bat has also really turned around. April OPS: .561 vs July OPS: .899. Altogether he's improved from .501 OPS at AA/.671 at A+ in 2022 to .770 this season. Looks promising, I don't know why he's rated so low.

Edited by nrockway
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

Well said. I agree with you that Covid crap is ridiculous. There are tons of pro athletes who had covid and are excelling in their sport.

Maybe if Moncada would have had maintained better nutritional habits and had better physical training, he might have been able to keep that lean weight and continue to play 2nd base which is what he was brought here for. 

I don't buy the excuse necessarily but, anecdotally speaking, people can have very different reactions to COVID. I got it twice and was completely fine a week later, a friend of mine got it and still doesn't breathe well or taste certain foods years later. Yoan wearing that mask during the Yankees series was kind of telling. 

• Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

The Sox payroll is double Cleveland's. JR has been cheap, but Rick has spent money foolishly. It's not the reason the team sucks.

It's sword meets shield. Having money to spend is great. Wasting it on guaranteed contracts for cratering talent will leave you worse off than before.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Kids Can Play said:

I wouldn't necessarily write off covid issues. 95% of people who git it have no long term ramifications. However we have patients that look like they have had pneumonia constantly for years as a results of covid. Their O2 say remains below 90 which can be dangerous. 

We have no idea if it is and it's not likely but it can't be ruled out. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I wouldn't necessarily write off covid issues. 95% of people who git it have no long term ramifications. However we have patients that look like they have had pneumonia constantly for years as a results of covid. Their O2 say remains below 90 which can be dangerous. 

Pffft how dare you bring objective thoughts into here

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

If Moncada was having long term covid issues we would know about it just like we did when he had them the first time. His problems have nothing to do with covid. I understand there are some rare cases where some have issues, but Moncada is not one of them. If he is, please don't speculate and show us the written documentation from the Sox confirming this. 

His issues are probably nutrition, weight, and lack of proper core muscle strength in the mid section. My younger brother has struggled with back issues for some 20 years and had back surgery 3 years ago. Through proper diet, losing weight and proper and consistent daily back exercises and core strength work, he has gone 3 years without any repercussions or setbacks since surgery. His job involves a lot of manual labor and not sitting at a desk. Back surgeries are not like there were 20-30 years ago when they were dangerous and uncertain of the results. Just like surgeries have improved with ACL injuries, the same goes for back surgeries.

2 hours ago, nrockway said:

I don't buy the excuse necessarily but, anecdotally speaking, people can have very different reactions to COVID. I got it twice and was completely fine a week later, a friend of mine got it and still doesn't breathe well or taste certain foods years later. Yoan wearing that mask during the Yankees series was kind of telling. 

I've had covid too and my doctor told me I am less likely to get it again due to getting the antibodies protection in me.

For the record it is not telling seeing Moncada wear a mask during the recent Yankees series. If you recall, New York had a horrible dangerous air quality level due to the Canadian fires. At the time of that series, the air quality was one the worst in the country in New York. That is why Moncada was wearing a mask. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

I've had covid too and my doctor told me I am less likely to get it again due to getting the antibodies protection in me.

For the record it is not telling seeing Moncada wear a mask during the recent Yankees series. If you recall, New York had a horrible dangerous air quality level due to the Canadian fires. At the time of that series, the air quality was one the worst in the country in New York. That is why Moncada was wearing a mask. 

Sure, but no other player on either team was if I recall correctly. Maybe he's just extra cautious compared to his peers. Again, I don't think COVID is to blame for his poor play, but his precipitous decline in sprint speed correlates reasonably well with his illness, and media at the time reported that he was feelings the effects months longer than what is typically expected in the majority of COVID patients. It wouldn't surprise me if it factored in but I tend to agree with you that poor performance is almost certainly a result of poor nutrition and training (though I don't know how he trains or what he eats so I reserve judgement). Someone mentioned Derrick Rose but eating a bunch of candy didn't make him tear his ACL. 

4 minutes ago, nrockway said:

Sure, but no other player on either team was if I recall correctly. Maybe he's just extra cautious compared to his peers. Again, I don't think COVID is to blame for his poor play, but his precipitous decline in sprint speed correlates reasonably well with his illness, and media at the time reported that he was feelings the effects months longer than what is typically expected in the majority of COVID patients. It wouldn't surprise me if it factored in but I tend to agree with you that poor performance is almost certainly a result of poor nutrition and training (though I don't know how he trains or what he eats so I reserve judgement). Someone mentioned Derrick Rose but eating a bunch of candy didn't make him tear his ACL. 

If no other Sox player was wearing a mask then that was their decision. The Health officials in New York were heavily encouraging people to wear masks during that time and encouraged to stay inside. Other nearby cities with teams actually cancelled the baseball games.

Moncada's lack of sprint speed is due to being heavier and maybe not training hard enough in the off-season. 

Btw, when Moncada was having a great year in 2019, he wasn't any speed demon then.