Fegan on Score @1225 pm to discuss Sox remaining moves

caulfield12

9 minutes ago, Soxfest said:

Robert Better not be traded, no reason at all. Signed long term

If Robert were to traded, then you would see a fanbase and media finally push back like never before. If JR allowed Hahn to do that, then we can officially close the book on speculating whether JR is mentally healthy and dealing with normal cognitive functions. 

• Like 3
  • Hawk 1
  • TLR 1

You guys that want to hang onto Robert while this team sucks baffle me. Why? What's the point? I don't think they would trade him, but if they got their socks blown off by an offer why would it be a hard no?

Will this team contend for a championship in 2024? Not a chance.

Will they contend for a championship in 2025? Highly unlikely.

What about 2026? Probably not, maybe. At this point in time we have Robert for one more season, and if he continues to get better you can kiss his ass goodbye as he wont be getting a 350+ million dollar contract to play here.

• Like 7
  • Love 1
  • Fire 1

1 minute ago, T R U said:

You guys that want to hang onto Robert while this team sucks baffle me. Why? What's the point? I don't think they would trade him, but if they got their socks blown off by an offer why would it be a hard no?

What about 2026? Probably not, maybe. At this point in time we have Robert for one more season, and if he continues to get better you can kiss his ass goodbye as he wont be getting a 350+ million dollar contract to play here.

Because Rick Hahn shouldn't be trading him. Simple as.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Because Rick Hahn shouldn't be trading him. Simple as.

I can't argue that. I can only argue that having Luis Robert play center field for the White Sox for the next 3-4 years while they wallow in mediocrity is not good for the future of this franchise.

Same goes for Dylan Cease, not trading him is going to be a massive mistake.

Edited by T R U
  • Like 7

When did Heyman say anything is on the table?

In my eyes, it should be. With that stated, if the Sox are truly trying to contend by next year, I think they should look at getting solid available everyday players. And to make it quick, they will have to eat some cash. But without them willing to pay anyone, I don't forsee it.

For example, I wouldn't mind a Cease for Soto swap with the Padres. Sox are too cheap and not creative enough for that, however.

13 minutes ago, T R U said:

I probably can speak for many Sox fans who still enjoy watching great players wearing a White Sox uniform win or lose.

While winning is always good trading great players for prospects does not guarantee winning in the future so what's really the point ? We saw how once the Sox started winning how bad they were at finishing it off.

Just keep him and Cease they are your best pitcher and position players. Allow the fans to enjoy them. Maybe once the Sox have an owner who knows how cultivate a productive minor league system and knows how to excite the fan base with the pursuit of superstars we can start to have real hope again.

Until then, since I'll still be watching White Sox baseball I'll selfishly want to watch good/ great players rather than get my hopes up waiting for minor leaguers to become productive MLB players.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

One small difference that has to be considered, re: Cease vs Robert and trading them.

There are sadly, special considerations that are in play since it is the organization it is:
1) We won't sign a pitcher long term
2) We won't sign a Boras client long term

Those 2 points alone, are the biggest arguments for trading Cease now, vs in 2 years.

• Like 4
  • Fire 2

57 minutes ago, nitetrain8601 said:

When did Heyman say anything is on the table?

In my eyes, it should be. With that stated, if the Sox are truly trying to contend by next year, I think they should look at getting solid available everyday players. And to make it quick, they will have to eat some cash. But without them willing to pay anyone, I don't forsee it.

For example, I wouldn't mind a Cease for Soto swap with the Padres. Sox are too cheap and not creative enough for that, however.

They're highly unlikely to trade 1 1/2 years of Soto for 2 1/2 of Cease.

That would be one sure way to create a fan rebellion after what they gave up to acquire him last year.

The White Sox would least need Soto from August and October, 2024. And they're not the kind of fans who show up JUST to see Juan Soto on their team....Bryce Harper, sure, even with Soto being the more consistent producer.

6 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

They're highly unlikely to trade 1 1/2 years of Soto for 2 1/2 of Cease.

That would be one sure way to create a fan rebellion after what they gave up to acquire him last year.

The White Sox would least need Soto from August and October, 2024. And they're not the kind of fans who show up JUST to see Juan Soto on their team....Bryce Harper, sure, even with Soto being the more consistent producer.

I think it has more to do with money, if anything else. And yes, it would be a little more than Cease, such as some smaller prospects. It would represent a large cost savings as well as address SP as well as open up other trades such as trading away Yu Darvish and Blake Snell.

8 minutes ago, Nokona said:

People wanting to sell Robert are insane to me

I don't think they want to. I think they simply realize the reality of the situation and that by the time the Sox are (maybe) good again he'll be on his way out the door.

Another 'between a rock and a hard place' situation created by the Sox themselves. 

Edited by Lip Man 1
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Capn12 said:

One small difference that has to be considered, re: Cease vs Robert and trading them.

There are sadly, special considerations that are in play since it is the organization it is:
1) We won't sign a pitcher long term
2) We won't sign a Boras client long term

Those 2 points alone, are the biggest arguments for trading Cease now, vs in 2 years.

There's also the fact it's a great sellers market. Despite not even being close to the pitcher he was last year it might be best to take advantage of the current market conditions and get some high end talent . I just hope it's extremely high end talent, young for their level having a great season talent.

Maybe in a few years when there's a new owner who cares about really producing a sustainable pipeline of young talent those things you mentioned won't matter. But in the meantime pretend you are Tampa Bay. What would they do ?

Sellers market, he's healthy now , got good peripherals. Drive a hard bargain for him but please concentrate on well rounded , players with speed and defense already a part of their arsenals. These good minor league systems have shown that swings can be reworked. Read up on how the Dodgers do it with Justin Turner, Muncy ,Will Smith  James Outman.

• Like 1

Momentum is not there for anyone in the FO to be held accountable is the biggest thing he said. He admitted to being the least plugged in now than he's ever been in the past 7 years. Agreed that the Sox have had the most success when there seemingly has been a plan, everyone on the interview didn't feel like there is a direction. Hard to give up Cease while also trying to sell fanbase that they're competing next year. Brought up Sox also don't believe in spending on starting pitching, so that's why they're not giving up on Kopech being a starter. Stated they had given Keuchel the most money to a FA starting pitcher in team's history and that also didn't work out well. For the Sox to contend next year, they'll need SP, not less.

Sparknotes:

Sox are as dumb as we all believe or afraid to believe they are being. 

Edited by nitetrain8601
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

51 minutes ago, nitetrain8601 said:

I think it has more to do with money, if anything else. And yes, it would be a little more than Cease, such as some smaller prospects. It would represent a large cost savings as well as address SP as well as open up other trades such as trading away Yu Darvish and Blake Snell.

Let’s say they lose tonight in Colorado to go back to three games under .500.

It’s going to be fascinating to see if Preller is ready to trade Snell (as good pitching the last 6 weeks as Bellinger hitting), Soto, Hader and even Seth Lugo in less than 24 hours.

Nobody realistically believes they’re going to sign Juan Soto to a massive extension…but there’s something of an Ohtani thing going on where trading him after dealing so many minor league Top 100 guys (and Gore) just over a year ago isn’t going to be well received at all unless he can “win the trade” in the eyes of the fanbase and get their MiLB system back to Top 5ish.

And they’re just 1 1/2 behind the Cubs…AZ and Miami falling back, etc.

Also, Darvish isn’t having the type of year where selling him makes any sense.

My concern is a regression with Cease and more injuries with Robert. Their trade value is high right now. I guess it was more fun dreaming of a winner during the rebuild and watching  the pieces grow. Well it’s all weeds in the garden now and we gotta get to pullin.

If they keep them I am fine with that too but sometimes we hold too long. It’s a forever rebuild for us. Sell the fucking team.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, nitetrain8601 said:

Momentum is not there for anyone in the FO to be held accountable is the biggest thing he said. He admitted to being the least plugged in now than he's ever been in the past 7 years. Agreed that the Sox have had the most success when there seemingly has been a plan, everyone on the interview didn't feel like there is a direction. Hard to give up Cease while also trying to sell fanbase that they're competing next year. Brought up Sox also don't believe in spending on starting pitching, so that's why they're not giving up on Kopech being a starter. Stated they had given Keuchel the most money to a FA starting pitcher in team's history and that also didn't work out well. For the Sox to contend next year, they'll need SP, not less.

Sparknotes:

Sox are as dumb as we all believe or afraid to believe they are being. 

Crazy they’re still bringing up John Danks $65 million extension as a reason to never extend/sign another pitcher again…even one around their team already like Giolito or Cease for the past 5-6 years.

Pooh poohed the idea of KW running around behind the scenes secretly pulling all the strings from behind the curtains.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I don't think they want to. I think they simply realize the reality of the situation and that by the time the Sox are (maybe) good again he'll be on his way out the door.

Another 'between a rock and a hard place' situation created by the Sox themselves. 

This, exactly.

It sucked trading Sale, Eaton, and Quintana but it wasn't working. And trading one of the best SP this organization has ever had, another front of the rotation type pitcher, and a 6+ war OFer turned into 2 playoff appearances. Which I remind you is 2 more than they had with all of those high end players.

I don't WANT to see Luis Robert traded. I do WANT to see the White Sox in the playoffs. If trading Robert to get potential pieces that they aren't going to pay for in free agency is how its going to happen, then that's what needs to happen.

There is just no benefit to having Cease and Robert be superstars on a 78 to 82 win team for the next 3-4 years. I am skeptical if they can even win that many games with the state of this roster moving forward.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I know I keep saying this, but I just don’t see any indication at all that this org is intending to rebuild. The only thing theyve done is concede 2023. All the players they traded are pending free agents.

I don’t think they have the nuts for another rebuild. There’s no argument that could possibly justify NOT cleaning out the FO first, and there’s nothing the current FO can say about how they’d do it differently this time around. I truly don’t see any other path than “half-ass contend every season” ad nauseam until the firing squad finally comes.

I think RH is going to get one more chance and a $30M offseason budget to make it work, business as usual. It’s unquestionably the right baseball move to rebuild, but there’s zero incentive for the current leadership to do it. They’ll roll the dice again and deal with the outcome when it happens. 

• Like 5
  • Fire 1