Burger To Marlins

DirtySox

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

I get more mad every day thinking the White Sox dumped the only semi-likeable player on the fricking team. Robert is also semi-likeable and maybe Cease and definitely LIam. Geez Sox. ...

Cease didn't get vaccinated 

• Fire 1
  • TLR 1

1 hour ago, restinpiss said:

You mean if our 3B was good?  Yeah probably not, what are you trying to imply?

It's almost like the Sox had to get rid of Burger cause they know he blows at 2nd defensively and they've got a flop at third they must still like a lot. Sad sad sad. We might win 49 games next season.

Eder like Crochet remains a largely unproven entity that could end up with with another arm injury. This trade was obviously one that the Marlins pushed over on Hahn. He got taken. Marlins sought  Burger for HR power. Hahn was not looking for Eder, just a cheap way to fill deep holes in the pitching staff. So tired of Hahn getting fleeced.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Hawk 1

25 minutes ago, tray said:

Eder like Crochet remains a largely unproven entity that could end up with with another arm injury. This trade was obviously one that the Marlins pushed over on Hahn. He got taken. Marlins sought  Burger for HR power. Hahn was not looking for Eder, just a cheap way to fill deep holes in the pitching staff. So tired of Hahn getting fleeced.

I mean...

Marlins initially were interested in pitcher Lance Lynn. The Marlins wanted to bolster their rotation and liked Lynn as a back end option for the remainder of the season. [...]

The White Sox, all along, had interest in Eder after their scouts saw him in person. Chicago asked for him when the teams spoke on Tuesday, and the deal for Burger was completed hours later.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/mlb/miami-marlins/article277008218.html

Or we can just make things up to fit our existing narratives, I guess 🤷‍♀️

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

It's almost like the Sox had to get rid of Burger cause they know he blows at 2nd defensively and they've got a flop at third they must still like a lot. Sad sad sad. We might win 49 games next season.

I'm guessing it's not that they "like" him a lot, it's more with his salary next year he is virtually untradeable unless the Sox were to eat a large portion of the remaining salary.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I'm guessing it's not that they "like" him a lot, it's more with his salary next year he is virtually untradeable unless the Sox were to eat a large portion of the remaining salary.

He’s 100 pct untradeable.  Sox are probably hoping he does something stupid and retires.

1 hour ago, Autumn Dreamin said:

I mean...

"But Lynn was dealt to the Dodgers, and conversations shifted to Burger, who has displayed significant power but uneven bat-to-ball skills."

Read more at: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/mlb/miami-marlins/article277008218.html#storylink=cpy

Like I said, the Marlins wanted Burger. They drove the deal. Hahn was looking for a cheap way to fill up the giant holes in the pitching staff on the cheap and he could not resist this. What a fool.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

• bmags unpinned this topic
On 8/3/2023 at 11:28 AM, Capn12 said:

0 for 4, 1 K and not clutch in the 9th when they needed it.

Oh, this thread is for only when he does well, maybe?

It's for whatever you feel about Burger. If you have perspective you realize there's room for growth which is the same thing you can say about Eder. Marlins wanted Burger for immediate offensive help . They know his current limitations and hope to unlock more positives down the line.

2 things to like about the Sox were Burger and Robert. That was it. One was taken away.

If people want to be a little down about it they can.

If they want to bash Burger they can.

I don't see any point in raining on anyone parade that they will miss the player and person he was for the Sox. They need more guys like him who actually give a damn and strive to improve.

• Like 3

On 8/3/2023 at 3:59 AM, Kyyle23 said:

I figured being overconfident and condescending like you was a shitty way to post, so here we are 

I'm never overconfident. I state facts and figures. I try to present an unbiased referenced and informed  opinion .

I do have strong opinions that have been laughed at but in the end I'm usually right. I'm wrong about a lot of things .You can't talk baseball and especially about prospects and be right all that often. There is too much judging in the here and now . This is baseball not football or basketball . It's a sport that requires patience and analysis then more patience as players try to navigate their way through the constant stream of information usable for them and against them.

I have been picking out LH players I thought the Sox should acquire for years now. Usually outfielders Outman, Nootbaar, Varsho some of the AZ kids.

I've bashed the front office for many years. I wanted them to treat 2020 as a World Series type year and be aggressive at the deadline because just knowing the front office , I knew the possibility always existed for a fast downward spiral. Not many agreed with me and thought being over aggressive may ruin the decade long competitve window Hahn said he was trying to establish.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I'm never overconfident. I state facts and figures. I try to present an unbiased referenced and informed  opinion .

I do have strong opinions that have been laughed at but in the end I'm usually right. I'm wrong about a lot of things .You can't talk baseball and especially about prospects and be right all that often. There is too much judging in the here and now . This is baseball not football or basketball . It's a sport that requires patience and analysis then more patience as players try to navigate their way through the constant stream of information usable for them and against them.

I have been picking out LH players I thought the Sox should acquire for years now. Usually outfielders Outman, Nootbaar, Varsho some of the AZ kids.

I've bashed the front office for many years. I wanted them to treat 2020 as a World Series type year and be aggressive at the deadline because just knowing the front office , I knew the possibility always existed for a fast downward spiral. Not many agreed with me and thought being over aggressive may ruin the decade long competitve window Hahn said he was trying to establish.

Cali, ignore me.  I ignore you, it’s not hard.  I’m not out here picking your posts out and replying anymore.  We don’t care for each other and that’s the way it is. 

2 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

It's for whatever you feel about Burger. If you have perspective you realize there's room for growth which is the same thing you can say about Eder. Marlins wanted Burger for immediate offensive help . They know his current limitations and hope to unlock more positives down the line.

2 things to like about the Sox were Burger and Robert. That was it. One was taken away.

If people want to be a little down about it they can.

If they want to bash Burger they can.

I don't see any point in raining on anyone parade that they will miss the player and person he was for the Sox. They need more guys like him who actually give a damn and strive to improve.

Well said. That is the crux of the problem here. If some of us like to defend Burger because if nothing else, he was a fan favorite and that is not acceptable. Too many people here want to bash the people who are upset he was traded because shame on us for liking Burger and not accepting the Eder trade was for the best. It's called fandom and we have a right to like players and be pissed when they are traded.

I do know this. I listen to a lot of talk radio, read twitter and other baseball sources. The fact is by a large margin, a huge majority of Sox fans are quite upset Burger was traded. Most would have rather seen Moncada traded, but we all understand he was dead weight where nobody would touch him carrying a 18 million contract and 24 m for next year.

The real sad thing is, most of us liked Burger not just for his homers, but more because he was a Sox player who played with pure passion, hustle and desire and played the game like he did in little league. I'm sorry but you need players like that to build a strong culture and clubhouse. Of course our three clowns of JR, KW and RH have no clue in how to build a successful roster and culture. 

• Hawk 1

I dont root for players I root for the team. The team isnt even going to win 50 games it can't afford to have untouchable "fan favorites" in trades.

Futhermore Burger is a no defense 1B/DH who doesn't have a spot on the team when everyone is healthy and is not going to replicate his ISO numbers moving forward without adjusting his approach at the plate. In summary, we sold high by getting a top 100 prospect for a guy who will be 28 next season, doesn't have a position, doesn't have an obvious spot on the roster, and whose current numbers are unsustainable in the long run.

Judging it as a strict baseball move it was a no brainer. Anyone who does get that is free to root for the Marlins.

Edited by wrathofhahn

On 8/3/2023 at 9:40 PM, Autumn Dreamin said:

I mean...

Spin cycle in full tilt.   

White Sox GM Rick Hahn said of Burger: “Everyone in baseball should root for this kid. We’ve been clear that culture is of the utmost importance to us, and in that end, Jake Burger fits that, on the relationship side, on the human side, on the clubhouse side — it’s a difficult move to make…. Eder, we think, has a chance to be very special.“

If culture is of utmost importance to you Rick, WTF did you trade away the most likable player on the team for Eder?????

Oh boy, another "special player" to add to the list of disappointments that once they come to the Sox suddenly lose that special trait.

Edited by A-Train to 35th
add
  • Like 1

It is far from a sure thing that Burger will be able to be a good hitter over the course of his career.

He will be 28 next year and his approach at the plate needs a ton of work. His defense needs work at 3B if he is to have any value defensively. Right now he is 1B/DH who projects to have .725ish moving forward.

Infact Zips projects him to have .706 OPS to finish the year and be worth -1.6 offensive runs.

Steamer projects him to have .737 OPS and be worth -0.3 offensive runs

Anyone who thinks Burger is going to be able continue to outperform the careers of some of the best HR hitters of our generation is delusional. Ohtani doesn't have the career ISO of Burger season right now. Alonso doesn't. Matt Olson has a career ISO of .264. Schwarber has a career iso of .259.

Burger iso was .313 this year for the CWS. It was and is completely unsustainable. There are really only two outcomes either Burger overhauls approach at the plate, becomes more selective, less swing and misses, and is able to have a long productive MLB career or he continues his current path falls down to earth hard and becomes basically a replacement level player.

Edited by wrathofhahn
  • Like 1