Middleton to Yankees for Juan Carela

BamaDoc

9 hours ago, Quin said:

Apparently, this is the trade that upset my mom the most because she loved Keynan Middleton.

I thought he was worth extending.  He had one really lousy game where he put four straight on base in a loss but was effective most of the time.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, oldsox said:

I thought he was worth extending.  He had one really lousy game where he put four straight on base in a loss but was effective most of the time.

It's never really worth extending relievers but yeah he has a live arm and his metrics are better than the results.

But hey he can always be signed in free agency so there is that. Personally even getting a top 30 organizational prospect for him is good lets face it our infield defense has killed much of our reliever values people say Bummer and Middleton are unlucky but I kind of hate that phrase because it implies events just happened and nothing could have been done about it. It may have been outside of their control but it certainly wasn't outside the organizations control when they put this atrocious infield together.

Edited by wrathofhahn
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, oldsox said:

We got him off the scrap heap, I would rather try to get another scrap heap reliever on the cheap than pay Middleton a few million dollars. You just gotta churn these guys in and out and hope to get a good season from them.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, T R U said:

We got him off the scrap heap, I would rather try to get another scrap heap reliever on the cheap than pay Middleton a few million dollars. You just gotta churn these guys in and out and hope to get a good season from them.

I would have been fine keeping Middleton if he still had control considering what seems to be a weak return but he had to be moved.

If Carela is all we could get back then that is just the reality of things. I am fine with paying relievers in FA if necessary for a year it's these multi year deals that kill us.

Especially when you have gaping position holes and are signing guys like Laury for 2B it should be obvious to everyone it makes a heck of a lot more sense to take that extra 10-15M and put it towards an elite to very good 2B. There are always teams looking to sell ML if you need one at the deadline

Edited by wrathofhahn
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, wrathofhahn said:

I would have been fine keeping Middleton if he still had control considering what seems to be a weak return but he had to be moved.

If Carela is all we could get back then that is just the reality of things. I am fine with paying relievers in FA if necessary for a year it's these multi year deals that kill us.

Especially when you have gaping position holes and are signing guys like Laury for 2B it should be obvious to everyone it makes a heck of a lot more sense to take that extra 10-15M and put it towards an elite to very good 2B. There are always teams looking to sell ML if you need one at the deadline

Urias to Red Sox for example

• bmags unpinned this topic