Fire Pedro Grifol

Chicago White Sox

13 hours ago, MikeKreevich said:

Ease up on Pedro.  No manager could win with this line-up.  

Are you watching the games?  In the few instances where his input has determined an outcome, it's almost always been a screw-up.  

1 hour ago, T R U said:

Unless I’m just misremembering, that would be the last White Sox manager to be legit fired in season. Almost 30 years ago. 

I believe you are correct. And he was among the most competent, successful Sox managers in my lifetime. 

22 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

There's no "if" just "when."

What’s the wait? 

10 hours ago, Sleepy Harold said:

You fire Pedro, promote Montoyo, boom steak dinner.

While Montoyo is a step in the right direction, I’d much prefer something more drastic and new. Jirschele obviously makes sense. Sizemore would be interesting just as a fresh voice in charge, but obviously has no managerial experience. I don’t think JR will approve going out of the org mid season. 

At this point, White Sox players have to be making fun of Pedro Grifol the moment he walks out of the clubhouse after the game.  That and the players group chats.  There is 100% no respect of this guy anymore inside the 4 walls from anyone on the field.

9 minutes ago, DFAthewave69420 said:

At this point, White Sox players have to be making fun of Pedro Grifol the moment he walks out of the clubhouse after the game.  That and the players group chats.  There is 100% no respect of this guy anymore inside the 4 walls from anyone on the field.

If the players are making fun of Pedro, the players need to go.

If, with the way they're performing, they feel they can criticize anyone else, that's just a complete lost cause.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

What’s the wait? 

While Montoyo is a step in the right direction, I’d much prefer something more drastic and new. Jirschele obviously makes sense. Sizemore would be interesting just as a fresh voice in charge, but obviously has no managerial experience. I don’t think JR will approve going out of the org mid season. 

If I had to guess, I would say Montoyo finishes out the year and Jirschele takes over next year? 

19 minutes ago, JoeC said:

If, with the way they're performing, they feel they can criticize anyone else, that's just a complete lost cause.

They are 100% clowning him in group chats and when he’s not around.  It’s a coping mechanism for players when a season/team is going this badly.

• Fire 1

21 minutes ago, Rusty said:

They are 100% clowning him in group chats and when he’s not around.  It’s a coping mechanism for players when a season/team is going this badly.

People in any profession will secretly s%*# on bad managers who are unqualified. 

21 minutes ago, SoxFanForever said:

People in any profession will secretly s%*# on bad managers who are unqualified. 

100%.  If 20ish professional athletes are talking s%*# about their boss…it’s probably a boss problem not a player problem.  He’s completely lost the locker-room, otherwise he’d do some Rick Pitino/Deion Sanders s%*# and just start telling the media that the players aren’t good enough and are making stupid mistakes.  Problem is, he’s perceptive enough to know that he doesn’t have enough respect to do that without making the problem worse.  The owner doesn’t respect him, the GM doesn’t respect him, the players dont respect him, the fans don’t respect him, the media doesn’t respect him.  Hell, at this point, I assume his own assistant coaches don’t respect him.  It’s very hard to nail down a single thing that Pedro actually does well and people that have made it this far in professional athletics are smart enough to realize how incompetent he is.

Edited by Rusty
  • Like 1
  • Fire 1

Here is what I think this organization should do after the Sox probably get swept by Minnesota and shut out the rest of the series. If they do this, they would instantly gain my respect back:

1-Fire Grifol

2-Hold a press conference, explain how much they fucked up, how this current play is absolutely unacceptable for the city of Chicago and the Sox fanbase, and apologize to the fans for the complete incompetence of the last decade-plus. Admit that this is a rebuild and they understand this season is shaping up to be historically bad season, and it's a wash. Stop trying to give us hope. Stop telling us it will get better. Stop...stop being the chicago white sox.

Will this happen? Of course not. Their heads are so far up their asses. But if by some miracle they did this, at least they would be taking the first step in the right direction. But they wouldn't know how to make the right decisions after admitting they suck anyway so I guess it doesn't really matter. They'll probably say "oh, it's a long season. Oh, need to forget about the last shutout, focus on the gameplan for today. Which is to get shut out again because that's the only result we ever get!"

Honestly I don't know what's worse. Them continuing to open their mouths and say stupid things, because they don't know how to not do that, or not say/do anything at all.

Jerry, how about you hire a consulting firm on how to actually run an organization?

Edited by ScootsMcGoots

6 minutes ago, Rusty said:

100%.  If 20ish professional athletes are talking s%*# about their boss…it’s probably a boss problem not a player problem.  He’s completely lost the locker-room, otherwise he’d do some Rick Pitino/Deion Sanders s%*# and just start telling the media that the players aren’t good enough and are making stupid mistakes.  Problem is, he’s perceptive enough to know that he doesn’t have enough respect to do that without making the problem worse.  The owner doesn’t respect him, the GM doesn’t respect him, the players dont respect him, the fans don’t respect him, the media doesn’t respect him.  Hell, at this point, I assume his own assistant coaches don’t respect him.  It’s very hard to nail down a single thing that Pedro actually does well and people that have made it this far in professional athletics are smart enough to realize how incompetent he is.

My point is that it's a "both" problem. It's a player problem, too, and if the players don't recognize that, they don't deserve to play big league baseball.

It'll be interesting to see someone like Tommy Pham come in. Any bets on the first fist fight in the dugout?

2 minutes ago, JoeC said:

My point is that it's a "both" problem. It's a player problem, too, and if the players don't recognize that, they don't deserve to play big league baseball.

It'll be interesting to see someone like Tommy Pham come in. Any bets on the first fist fight in the dugout?

It’s absolutely a both problem.  Let’s be honest, half the roster are not serviceable MLB players.  That being said…you can jettison a manager.  You can’t just get rid of a bunch of players.  Someone needs to be on the field and there’s not exactly a ton of capable dudes sitting in Charlotte or Birmingham.  

The largest problem is the roster that Getz assembled.  At least Korey Lee has a future career to play for but do we honestly think Martin Maldonado cares about much more than cashing checks at this point?  Benintendi seems to be the same.  I guess at least Clevinger and Pham are known assholes so maybe they manage to come in and establish some sort of culture that at least appears to give a f***.

We know that Eloy is a goof and Yoan isn’t exactly the pinnacle of maximum effort.  Crochet is too young to be a leader.  Robert doesn’t seem to be that type.  AV seems resigned to his fate.  Maybe Sheets but he’s a fringe MLB player in any competent organization.  I say screw it and sign Bauer.  You already have a couple known assholes, at least he would eat innings and make a game entertaining every once in a while.  Tell him to start bucking balls over the centerfield wall when he’s pissed.

5 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

There's no "if" just "when."

a lot of people are convinced he isn't going anywhere.  I think he'll be fired before they come to their senses

JR and Getz needs him in the dugout distracting everyone from how shitty the collection of slackers, hackers, has beens and never weres, actually is. Be the lightning rod for fan criticism. 

9 hours ago, JoeC said:

If you have never made fun of a bad coach when they are not around, then you have never played a competitive sport before.

27 minutes ago, DFAthewave69420 said:

If you have never made fun of a bad coach when they are not around, then you have never played a competitive sport before.

Oh, I have played quite competitively (though not baseball). I've played on championship teams as well as hockey teams who didn't win until after Christmas (including the intrasquad scrimmage lol).

I've also been part of teams that were almost as bad with coaches who were bad, but we had players who stepped up as leaders and set the cultural tone for the team.

I'm not saying Pedro needs to stay (quite the opposite) - just stating a fact that, if you're trying to build a positive culture in the organization, you need players who are willing to take a long, hard look at themselves and try to make things better.