Fire Pedro Grifol

Chicago White Sox

1 minute ago, Rusty said:

At the very least Katz has to go.  You’d have to assume the pitching coach is highly complicit in the bullpen decisions and they are justifying a catcher with a .070 BA because he apparently manages the staff so well…ie, you are admitting that the pitching coach isn’t doing his job.

Looking at the actual guys on this pitching staff and their histories, I am not convinced there is much more to get out of them.  By and large this is an awful bullpen, pitching pretty awful.  The young guys have show young guy ups and downs.  The reclamation projects have seen a couple of successes, and more failures, as is to be expected.  Crochet and Fedde have been huge pluses.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Looking at the actual guys on this pitching staff and their histories, I am not convinced there is much more to get out of them.  By and large this is an awful bullpen, pitching pretty awful.  The young guys have show young guy ups and downs.  The reclamation projects have seen a couple of successes, and more failures, as is to be expected.  Crochet and Fedde have been huge pluses.

You have the second worst ERA in the league.  I don’t care who is on your staff…you fire the pitching coach.  Crochet and Fedde are good in spite of Katz.  Former Sox pitchers certainly aren’t struggling so far this season.

https://x.com/markpotash/status/1801370013846196246?s=46&t=qxRA7RqZFEUjHM1VOzfOUA

1 minute ago, Rusty said:

You have the second worst ERA in the league.  I don’t care who is on your staff…you fire the pitching coach.  Crochet and Fedde are good in spite of Katz.  Former Sox pitchers certainly aren’t struggling so far this season.

https://x.com/markpotash/status/1801370013846196246?s=46&t=qxRA7RqZFEUjHM1VOzfOUA

If you have the worst collection of pitching talent in the league is it really shocking that they were the 2nd worst in the league?  We spent an entire winter talking about how awful they were going to be, and they are who we thought they were.  Of all people needing fired, Katz might be last, or damned near it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

If you have the worst collection of pitching talent in the league is it really shocking that they were the 2nd worst in the league?  We spent an entire winter talking about how awful they were going to be, and they are who we thought they were.  Of all people needing fired, Katz might be last, or damned near it.

I think most people believe they all need to be fired, the entire coaching staff and front office. So even if Katz hasn’t been as terrible as the rest, he has to go with them.

9 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

Does no one remember the Robin Ventura experience? Why would Frank Thomas put his ass on the line for this collection of garbage? Ozzie is desperate to be relevant, even he seems to have just enough self awareness to not sign onto this sinking ship.

Who the hell would pay to watch either of those Sox 'heroes' have zero effect on the worst team in history for that matter?

Make me manager, it doesn’t fucking matter this year.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Timmy U said:

The Sox have either been tied or led in 12 of the last 13 games. They have homered in all of them. They have won 3. Grifol is simply bad at the winning part. 

The rest of MLB owns an .800+ winning% when leading by 2 or more runs.  The Sox are now 3-11.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

The rest of MLB owns an .800+ winning% when leading by 2 or more runs.  The Sox are now 3-11.

Again, we’re well rounded.

What more do you want?

• Haha 1

Firing Grifol is only part of the solution. Then the Sox need to do a real search, do real interviews and chose an experienced baseball man.  Then let him pick his own coaching staff. Then let him do his job. Also, make sure he has no past connection to the Sox. Do things right for a change. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Highland said:

Firing Grifol is only part of the solution. Then the Sox need to do a real search, do real interviews and chose an experienced baseball man.  Then let him pick his own coaching staff. Then let him do his job. Also, make sure he has no past connection to the Sox. Do things right for a change. 

We’ve said this before with both GM and managerial hires but Reinsdorf insists on meddling.  That’s not going to change.

5 minutes ago, Highland said:

Best I can do is Tony LaRussa. 

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

He’s rejuvenated now with the time off!

We’ll use TLR in the first inning as an “opener.”

We’ll break new ground in managerial analytics.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Rusty said:

At the very least Katz has to go.  You’d have to assume the pitching coach is highly complicit in the bullpen decisions and they are justifying a catcher with a .070 BA because he apparently manages the staff so well…ie, you are admitting that the pitching coach isn’t doing his job.

I think you're caring too much about the bullpen of a team that is designed to lose 100+ games.

Yeah the bullpen got worse this year, I think it may have something to do with Curt Hasler not being there but this is a team who is designed to lose 100+ games, so it doesn't matter.

17 hours ago, Rusty said:

I get a sense MLB messed with the balls again this year.

League wide ERA is down from 4.33 last year to 3.97 this year and homers are the lowest since 2015.

6 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

We’ve said this before with both GM and managerial hires but Reinsdorf insists on meddling.  That’s not going to change.

Just like many things that don't change.  That is what is discouraging. My point is firing Grifol just to replace him with another one like him doesn't do much good.

Hearing a report of the Bob Nightengale's comment that Pedro will manage out the season b/c he's paid for, and why pay someone else... I have a serious thought. If I'm the chairman, I'm telling Getz to fire Grifol and take over managing the club for the rest of this year (at no extra pay) in order to do a full evaluation of environment, talent, coaches, etc. Or perhaps Getz suggests it to J.R. Of course it's unorthodox. But desperate times...

Watching an archived MLB Network White Sox special from spring training this past year… hysterical.

Pedro is sitting at the front of a room full of staff, “when we play other teams they need to know who the f*** we are…”

Oh Pedro… other teams know who the f*** we are… in all the worst ways. ?

On 6/14/2024 at 5:17 PM, buckweaver said:

Hearing a report of the Bob Nightengale's comment that Pedro will manage out the season b/c he's paid for, and why pay someone else... I have a serious thought. If I'm the chairman, I'm telling Getz to fire Grifol and take over managing the club for the rest of this year (at no extra pay) in order to do a full evaluation of environment, talent, coaches, etc. Or perhaps Getz suggests it to J.R. Of course it's unorthodox. But desperate times...

85 percent of the team will be different next year. How would that accomplish anything? 

3 hours ago, PaleAleSox said:

85 percent of the team will be different next year. How would that accomplish anything? 

B/c Getz is the one who decides the other 15 percent and hires the new manager.