Fire Pedro Grifol

Chicago White Sox

13 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

He will argue that Mendick had a better overall chance against Harder than the LH Colas.

This was Pressley on the hill. I would have taken anyone. Julks, Dejong, Lee, Colas....Every single one of them was a better option. Now you don't want Colas vs. Hader in the 9th, so maybe you burn him there and manipulate the substitutions so DeJong still hits when he hit. But Danny Mendick? They had a chance to tie. Maybe their only hope.

I don't think sending Mendick to the plate with a man on down 2 in the 8th is preparing to kick Houston's ass.

Edited by Dick Allen

26 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

This was Pressley on the hill. I would have taken anyone. Julks, Dejong, Lee, Colas....Every single one of them was a better option. Now you don't want Colas vs. Hader in the 9th, so maybe you burn him there and manipulate the substitutions so DeJong still hits when he hit. But Danny Mendick? They had a chance to tie. Maybe their only hope.

I don't think sending Mendick to the plate with a man on down 2 in the 8th is preparing to kick Houston's ass.

Colas has definitely been hitter for better average/contact and sure better versus RHP.

Mendick simply didn’t have much of a chance there.

6 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Someone needs to photoshop @Quin’s meme to be Grifol saying “we kicked our own ass today.”

• Haha 1

From Merkin's newsletter:

Oscar Colás has not started since getting three hits in Seattle on June 13. He had just two at-bats on June 16 in Arizona. So, the 25-year-old outfielder needs other outlets to remain sharp. 

“You've got to stay on top of your game, you've got to get in the cage, you've got to do high velocity,” Grifol said. “He'll get another opportunity of course. But right now, we have Tommy Pham, we have [Luis] Robert that's playing every day now. We have Beni [Andrew Benintendi], we have [Corey] Julks. When they throw a lefty, it's Julks. 

“Every adversity, every opportunity to learn is extremely important for a player like him. Just stay ready until you get that opportunity and be ready to go. That's all I can tell him. We had a conversation about it [Wednesday]. He works extremely hard. He's doing everything he can to stay sharp.” 

Staying in the Majors is beneficial presently for Colás. But with Eloy Jiménez returning next homestand from the injured list, that plan could change. 

“He can't do this long-term,” Grifol said. “If an opportunity doesn't present itself in the near future, then obviously it's more beneficial for him to go get at-bats. But in a short spurt, a week to 10 days, it doesn't hurt. It could help.” 

6 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Someone needs to photoshop @Quin’s meme to be Grifol saying “we kicked our own ass today.”

Kicking their own asses is a far greater collective effort than this team is capable of.

• Haha 1

Today shoulda been the last straw. Pedro had to be fired after the baserunning gaffe to end the game. Players have to have their managers backs and the veteran mistake said: "This team blows. We all wanted to get to dinner so I made a dumb baserunning blunder. Sue me."

13 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Latest Grifol on Colas:

“I want to see what he looks like,” said Grifol, who wants to see Colas play some first base, too. “We do have to see some things.”

What the f*** is this guy talking about

1 hour ago, Snopek said:

What the f*** is this guy talking about

We play our 1B in the OF, our corner OF in CF, and a guy who can play CF in a pinch at 1B.

I fail to understand what's so difficult.

• Fire 1
  • Paper Bag 1

So since the team won today, does that mean Pedro is getting fired tonight?

The math adds up since we seem to take disproportionate action.

Lose a bunch… stay around… win and get canned?

😆

3 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Pedro is the baseball Jim Boylan with some Terry Bevington and Marc Trestman thrown in.

He will join the long line of managers from Reinsdorf-owned teams that will never get another manager/head coaching job in their respective sport again.