8/17 Games

BamaDoc

So the Sox have Korry Lee. Adam Hackenberg and Xavier Fernandez at AAA. Seems like a pretty solid trio to go along with Carlos Perez.

We don't hear about Fernandez often and I found this on him :Drew Osborne of The Royals Farm Report stated “Fernández is a solid catcher who will be a big league catcher at some point in the near future ... he could be a backup immediately in the majors. His defense is outstanding. Fernández blocks well and is a tremendous receiver with soft hands that frame well. As far as throwing, he has gunned down minor league runners at a 39% pace in his career and 41% this season in NWA. His throws are low, on the money, and carry well.”

As far as I can tell that was from 2018 . Here's a link to the article from Feb 2022.https://www.southsidesox.com/2022/2/15/22932205/south-side-sox-white-sox-top-prospect-no-59-xavier-fernandez#comments

My question is how good is his defense really ? I'm pretty sure we were hearing glowing reports on Carlos Perez' defense too. Fernandez seems like a solid hitter and is already 28 between Perez and the trio at AAA why would the Sox be hanging onto Grandal and Zavala. I understand Zavala has a decent rep with working with the pitchers but  between Perez, Lee, Hernandez and Zavala that seems like a group you can let play in MLB and until whoever ultimately grabs the bull by the horns. AT this point I'm thinking it's not Zavala.

I know Quero isn't going to be rushed so wouldn't it behoove the Sox to cycle through what they have starting right away  to separate the wheat from the chaff  until Quero is ready ?

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

16 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

At least Gonzalez is getting some hits now. Would like some ISO too. Harris has been impressive to me at the plate, not sure how he's been behind the plate tho.

I really liked that Wolkow got 2 walks tonight. If he can lower the Ks and add some walks to his power profile that would be great.

I see a lot of swings by him like this, which is not going to result any much slugging

https://twitter.com/dailywhitesox/status/1692361059581960466/mediaViewer?currentTweet=1692361059581960466&currentTweetUser=dailywhitesox

11 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

So the Sox have Korry Lee. Adam Hackenberg and Xavier Fernandez at AAA. Seems like a pretty solid trio to go along with Carlos Perez.

We don't hear about Fernandez often and I found this on him :Drew Osborne of The Royals Farm Report stated “Fernández is a solid catcher who will be a big league catcher at some point in the near future ... he could be a backup immediately in the majors. His defense is outstanding. Fernández blocks well and is a tremendous receiver with soft hands that frame well. As far as throwing, he has gunned down minor league runners at a 39% pace in his career and 41% this season in NWA. His throws are low, on the money, and carry well.”

As far as I can tell that was from 2018 . Here's a link to the article from Feb 2022.https://www.southsidesox.com/2022/2/15/22932205/south-side-sox-white-sox-top-prospect-no-59-xavier-fernandez#comments

My question is how good is his defense really ? I'm pretty sure we were hearing glowing reports on Carlos Perez' defense too. Fernandez seems like a solid hitter and is already 28 between Perez and the trio at AAA why would the Sox be hanging onto Grandal and Zavala. I understand Zavala has a decent rep with working with the pitchers but  between Perez, Lee, Hernandez and Zavala that seems like a group you can let play in MLB and until whoever ultimately grabs the bull by the horns. AT this point I'm thinking it's not Zavala.

I know Quero isn't going to be rushed so wouldn't it behoove the Sox to cycle through what they have starting right away  to separate the wheat from the chaff  until Quero is ready ?

I don’t think Fernandez is much of anything outside of minor league filler. He’s played a ton of 1B this year too, so despite earlier reports I think that tells me everything I need to know about him.

1 hour ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

I don’t think Fernandez is much of anything outside of minor league filler. He’s played a ton of 1B this year too, so despite earlier reports I think that tells me everything I need to know about him.

and sox might be wrong (obviously) but it's quite clear what they think about him. He has been in AA for like 4 years. Him and Perez were quite the duo for a while down there. perez moved up, he didn't. And then they chose Seby over Perez. And then they traded for a bunch of catchers. Maybe he's a 1b for good, he's got a productive milb bat, but his catching days in this org don't seem promising.