After an exhaustive search, Getz named GM/VP

bmags

13 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

You can't say Getz is shitty at developing players the same way you can't say the great Will Rhymes is a development god.  They're both the product of the sytem around them.

I don't totally disagree with that. It still doesn't make him AT ALL qualified to get a promotion to GM of a ML team. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

You can't say Getz is shitty at developing players the same way you can't say the great Will Rhymes is a development god.  They're both the product of the sytem around them.

Rhymes would have seen a functioning org. And Getz has not.

Rhymes would have worked with talented people he can bring along.

Getz has not.

Your only qualification for Getz is he’s not responsible for everything wrong. That was also Hahns playbook.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Sure, Getz didn’t have the power to show that he may be able to be a good director of player dev.….

but doesn’t that make him perfect to be in a higher level role with more responsibilities he didn’t hold?

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Give him Getz's scouting budget for international...same domestic scouting budget....limited analytics team of 20 or under.  Take away everything related to the Pacific Rim (Japan/Korea/Taiwan).

Then you can start making some comparisons.

The only possible way Getz getting the job would be OK is if the plan was to sell the team SOON (next 1-3 yrs) and Getz is just an empty placeholder until the new ownership puts their own people in

Edited by joejoesox
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, joejoesox said:

The only possible way Getz getting the job would be OK is if the plan was to sell the team SOON (next 1-3 yrs) and Getz is just an empty placeholder until the new ownership puts their own people in

IMO, this is almost certainly the plan. 

Don't want to handcuff potential buyers with a long term high salary independent minded GM and turn them off, so go with the cheap salary short term yes man option.

9 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

IMO, this is almost certainly the plan. 

Don't want to handcuff potential buyers with a long term high salary independent minded GM and turn them off, so go with the cheap salary short term yes man option.

I think this is the exact opposite of what you do. The team is a shambles right now and everyone can recognize it. They are clearly doing long term damage to their revenue potential and buyers will know this, but they will have difficulty knowing how much. In this market that will lead to caution unless the buyer has a motive to relocate. This franchise is worth way more drawing 2 million fans a year than 1.2 million.

This is Reinsdorf wanting to show one last time that he’s right and can run a baseball team better than all these other guys. He doesn’t need scouts or training staff, he knows you don’t need international signings to win, he knows you don’t want to be caught paying money to a second baseman who hits .240, he can pick players himself and be the decision maker on the draft and it will prove he’s right about how to run a baseball team. He needs someone who will let him.

• Like 1
  • TLR 1

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

I think this is the exact opposite of what you do. The team is a shambles right now and everyone can recognize it. They are clearly doing long term damage to their revenue potential and buyers will know this, but they will have difficulty knowing how much. In this market that will lead to caution unless the buyer has a motive to relocate. This franchise is worth way more drawing 2 million fans a year than 1.2 million.

This is Reinsdorf wanting to show one last time that he’s right and can run a baseball team better than all these other guys. He doesn’t need scouts or training staff, he knows you don’t need international signings to win, he knows you don’t want to be caught paying money to a second baseman who hits .240, he can pick players himself and be the decision maker on the draft and it will prove he’s right about how to run a baseball team. He needs someone who will let him.

This

4 hours ago, joejoesox said:

did you guys seriously spend 3 days thinking it would be anything other than JR being JR 

Sox are done as a franchise until Reinsdorf literally croaks 

I foolishly spent seven hours, between the time before I went to bed and until I woke up and found out about Boob's text.

It was the best night sleep as a Sox fan since September 29-30, 2020 after Lucas and the Sox won Game 1, a few weeks before firing Ricky and hiring Tony which led to Boycott 2.0.

What happens next is really simple and very predictable.

Fact: No one we like will take the job. 

The interview process will be JR handing them a press release and asking them to read it as if reporters are in the room.

"I'm excited to be the White Sox GM and to bring a championship to the great fans of Chicago. I especially appreciate the challenge of doing so without signing anyone to a nine figure contact, keeping pitcher contracts to under five, I mean four years, and no farm system to build on. It would be overwhelming but knowing I have a Hall of Fame guy looking over my shoulder will make it easier!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Texsox said:

What happens next is really simple and very predictable.

Fact: No one we like will take the job. 

The interview process will be JR handing them a press release and asking them to read it as if reporters are in the room.

"I'm excited to be the White Sox GM and to bring a championship to the great fans of Chicago. I especially appreciate the challenge of doing so without signing anyone to a nine figure contact, keeping pitcher contracts to under five, I mean four years, and no farm system to build on. It would be overwhelming but knowing I have a Hall of Fame guy looking over my shoulder will make it easier!"

Howard Pizer is the most senior White Sox Employee/Officer under Jerry but rarely speaks and few fans even know he exists. Among Jerry's current Crony Wack Pack, Scott Reifert probably makes most sense introducing Chris.

I would love to see Hawk introduce Chris as Chris' tenure will most likely mirror Hawk's though much longer. I don't see Jerry going through this hiring process again in his late 90s - 100s.

I understand the point that things are not so simple as looking at the prospect rankings or minor league W-L and saying "Getz did that." It's good to be good at developing guys but nothing matters nearly as much as the raw materials — talented ballplayers. I feel similarly about player health. A good training program might help, but I strongly suspect the reason the Sox had a great run of health through 2000s–early 2010s was that we had a knack for identifying durable players rather than a magic formula for keeping fragile ones healthy.

So is it possible Getz could do a great job as a GM? I think it may be possible. But that's just because we don't know much of anything about him. Maybe I could be a great GM! After all, you haven't seen me fail at it. Maybe Getz is hired and things go okay, but the problem is we have no reason to believe he's produced some kind of body of work to use as a basis to hire him.

9 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Add to that:

”man I really want to buy this 2 billion dollar asset but he just signed a 3 year $4 million dollar deal with a GM!”

This honestly feels like “trash the team, exploit the worse fan support to make the relocation credible, get sweetheart lease, sell team and steal the premium paid on the lower land lease”

18 minutes ago, Jake said:

I understand the point that things are not so simple as looking at the prospect rankings or minor league W-L and saying "Getz did that." It's good to be good at developing guys but nothing matters nearly as much as the raw materials — talented ballplayers. I feel similarly about player health. A good training program might help, but I strongly suspect the reason the Sox had a great run of health through 2000s–early 2010s was that we had a knack for identifying durable players rather than a magic formula for keeping fragile ones healthy.

So is it possible Getz could do a great job as a GM? I think it may be possible. But that's just because we don't know much of anything about him. Maybe I could be a great GM! After all, you haven't seen me fail at it. Maybe Getz is hired and things go okay, but the problem is we have no reason to believe he's produced some kind of body of work to use as a basis to hire him.

Jeremy "Jonah Hill" Haber being the consensus with his 190 page profile of Pedro Grifol being the clear #2 choice here doesn't exactly indpire ugh confidence either.

Feel like a random Guardians, Braves, Rays, Brewers or Dodgers intern might actually be more accomplished in leaning the in's and out's of a truly competent organization with a proven blueprint for success.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

Add to that:

”man I really want to buy this 2 billion dollar asset but he just signed a 3 year $4 million dollar deal with a GM!”

This honestly feels like “trash the team, exploit the worse fan support to make the relocation credible, get sweetheart lease, sell team and steal the premium paid on the lower land lease”

No way JR is that generous with a GM salary...feels off by hundreds of thousands.

58 minutes ago, Jake said:

Chris Getz' two most significant hires with the White Sox were Omar Vizquel to manage "Project Birmingham" and Wes Helms to manage Charlotte.

Not only should he not be promoted, he should have been fired before Rick Hahn or Kenny Williams.

Cased Closed

• Like 3

1 minute ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Chris Getz' two most significant hires with the White Sox were Omar Vizquel to manage "Project Birmingham" and Wes Helms to manage Charlotte.

Not only should he not be promoted, he should have been fired before Rick Hahn or Kenny Williams.

Cased Closed

I also think it's telling his staff is so bad, almost everyone that gets called up, with a couple of exceptions, look like they just took up playing baseball games a week ago. Clueless.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Cased Closed

Project Birmingham was a 4 week thing last year, vizquel was several years before that. The entire Birmingham barons franchise was not project Birmingham. This year is not project Birmingham.