After an exhaustive search, Getz named GM/VP

bmags

3 hours ago, ron883 said:

Did you think KW was white this whole time? Also, it seems like Jerry did a lot for Kim Ng, a Chinese woman. What are you even talking about here?

What Jerry Reinsdorf is doing right now - hiring his buddies through an unfair internal process  run only by him - Jerry Reinsdorf praised baseball for stopping that 10 Years ago because it led to racist outcomes. He was correct in that statement, if a team says they will only hire a guy from the 1980s then all the racism in hiring from the 1980s carries over. If a team refuses to conduct a fair search, it isn’t a coincidence when the guy promoted is a white guy, that’s how it works and how it keeps minorities sidelined.

How many times does he get to hang a “White guy only, no minorities will be considered” sign on a position now before I’m allowed to point out that he’s not supposed to do it once? Before the press calls him out on it? That’s how it works right, he employed a prominent black man so he gets credits for that, he can cash those credits in to do things he personally said were bad. Does he have enough credits for more of these? Has he built up enough for a Donald Sterling video or has he spent too many on these hires? Where do I find that bookkeeping?

12 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

What Jerry Reinsdorf is doing right now - hiring his buddies through an unfair internal process  run only by him - Jerry Reinsdorf praised baseball for stopping that 10 Years ago because it led to racist outcomes.

How many times does he get to hang a “White guy only, no minorities will be considered” sign on a position now before I’m allowed to point out that he’s not supposed to do it once? Before the press calls him out on it? That’s how it works right, he employed a prominent black man so he gets credits for that, he can cash those credits in to do things he personally said were bad. Does he have enough credits for more of these? Has he built up enough for a Donald Sterling video or has he spent too many on these hires? Where do I find that bookkeeping?

My only comment along this entire subject is that personally I don't care what color a person is, what sex, what religion, what sexual orientation. I want the best damn people running the franchise...if they are all gay, all white, all women, all Catholics...I could care less.

My issue is the fact that Reinsdorf seems to be doing anything but even trying to bring in the best people because he continues to think his way is the right way despite over 40+ years of basically failure, especially since the start of the 2007 season. 

To me that should be the overriding issue, nothing else.

Just my opinion. 

8 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

My only comment along this entire subject is that personally I don't care what color a person is, what sex, what religion, what sexual orientation. I want the best damn people running the franchise...if they are all gay, all white, all women, all Catholics...I could care less.

My issue is the fact that Reinsdorf seems to be doing anything but even trying to bring in the best people because he continues to think his way is the right way despite over 40+ years of basically failure, especially since the start of the 2007 season. 

Just my opinion. 

He is also thinking that the way they did things 40 years ago - hand picked white guys - should still be valid. It isn’t.

If he continues hiring people this way, he will wind up with an all white front office staff and clubhouse. If he did that; would that be a problem? If he does it once, or twice, or three times, or four times, when does that specific part become a problem?

The Selig rule exists because teams were setting up searches full of internal guys and retreads who were almost all white, they had to be shaken out of that otherwise baseballs staff would stay virtually all white. Now Reinsdorf is saying that’s a mistake and he shouldn’t have to consider a diverse group, whites only hires are fine. This is a problem, and it’s one he personally acknowledged ten years ago.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Repeat after me, it can only get better than Hahn. Because there's no such thing as worse than the current state of affairs. 

That was said a whole lot around these parts about a year ago too…

I just really hope the media doesn’t go easy on Getz during the intro press conference.

Vizquel, Helms, Daryl Boston,  his personal qualifications, it being an insular hire, Pedro Grifol’s job status, the run differential throughout the entire organization, why the lack of positional and pitching depth. 

Since Jerry is gonna hide behind Getz the media really needs to nut up and get some answers. This loyal fanbase deserves honesty. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

He is also thinking that the way they did things 40 years ago - hand picked white guys - should still be valid. It isn’t.

If he continues hiring people this way, he will wind up with an all white front office staff and clubhouse. If he did that; would that be a problem? If he does it once, or twice, or three times, or four times, when does that specific part become a problem?

The Selig rule exists because teams were setting up searches full of internal guys and retreads who were almost all white, they had to be shaken out of that otherwise baseballs staff would stay virtually all white. Now Reinsdorf is saying that’s a mistake and he shouldn’t have to consider a diverse group, whites only hires are fine. This is a problem, and it’s one he personally acknowledged ten years ago.

What if he included minorities in the interview process and still hired all white guys? And then, what if those guys were in fact the most qualified?

I know you’re being somewhat facetious, but wouldn’t racism still be blamed for that? And in the above scenario, would the correct answer be to intentionally hire a less qualified candidate simply to have a minority hire in there?

All of this of so stupid. He should have absolutely interviewed multiple candidates, but the only criteria should be their potential to do the job well. It appears he did not.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Milkman delivers said:

What if he included minorities in the interview process and still hired all white guys? And then, what if those guys were in fact the most qualified?

I know you’re being somewhat facetious, but wouldn’t racism still be blamed for that? And in the above scenario, would the correct answer be to intentionally hire a less qualified candidate simply to have a minority hire in there?

All of this of so stupid. He should have absolutely interviewed multiple candidates, but the only criteria should be their potential to do the job well. It appears he did not.

No. I would not be saying this. No the correct answer is not to hire an unprepared person based on their race. He’s done that twice in three years!

7 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

No. I would not be saying this. No the correct answer is not to hire an unprepared person based on their race. He’s done that twice in three years!

What in the world are you talking about?  Race has had nothing to do with these hires.  This is once again Jerry going what he is comfortable with.  Right now, that happens to be a white former MLB player.  For the last 20 years it was a black former player.  He’s had women in important roles and has a history of black and Hispanic managers.  Calling out Jerry for being racist is literally the only card you can’t play against him.

Edited by Chicago White Sox
  • Like 4

21 minutes ago, Rey21 said:

I just really hope the media doesn’t go easy on Getz during the intro press conference.

Vizquel, Helms, Daryl Boston,  his personal qualifications, it being an insular hire, Pedro Grifol’s job status, the run differential throughout the entire organization, why the lack of positional and pitching depth. 

Since Jerry is gonna hide behind Getz the media really needs to nut up and get some answers. This loyal fanbase deserves honesty. 

Dear lord, we'd find out how quickly he compares to Hahn when it comes to deflections and non-answers.

13 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

What in the world are you talking about?  Race has had nothing to do with these hires.  This is once again Jerry going what he is comfortable with.  Right now, that happens to be a white former MLB player.  For the last 20 years it was a black former player.  He’s had women in important roles and has a history of black and Hispanic managers.  Calling out Jerry for being racist is literally the only card you can’t play against him.

I’m no fan of JR, but the argument seems completely disingenuous to me. I won’t mind if MLB runs him through the ringer for it, though.

But I’m actually curious who he’s referring to.

40 minutes ago, Milkman delivers said:

I’m no fan of JR, but the argument seems completely disingenuous to me. I won’t mind if MLB runs him through the ringer for it, though.

LaRussa and Getz. LaRussa is the classic example of a black man being given a sham interview so that we could hire the important guy that we wanted - Willie Harris. Absolute disrespect for Willie, we used him to check a quota box and never gave him a real chance. 

We don’t know how it went down with Getz but we know they didn’t conduct a wide ranging set of interviews league wide in one week. 

If the White Guy is so good, he can stand on his own. He doesn’t need Reinsdorf preventing qualified individuals from being interviewed so that he can get the job. Hell, Getz could have a serious advantage of knowing the White Sox’s ststem, that’s allowed to matter. He doesn’t need the help.

These fake searches don’t just stink for the team, they are absolutely racially biased, and Jerry Reinsdorf agreed with and understood that 10 years ago. On the record, he said that the Selig rule existed because these types of fake searches were racially biased and needed to be gotten rid of. He has apparently decided they’re fine by him now and exactly what he wants. He was right a decade ago when he praised the Selig rule and he’s flat out wrong now.

1 hour ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Just my opinion. 

Spoken like a true bigoted, racist, sexist piece of crap. Get him, Balta!

29 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

LaRussa and Getz. LaRussa is the classic example of a black man being given a sham interview so that we could hire the important guy that we wanted - Willie Harris. Absolute disrespect for Willie, we used him to check a quota box and never gave him a real chance. 

We don’t know how it went down with Getz but we know they didn’t conduct a wide ranging set of interviews league wide in one week. 

If the White Guy is so good, he can stand on his own. He doesn’t need Reinsdorf preventing qualified individuals from being interviewed so that he can get the job. Hell, Getz could have a serious advantage of knowing the White Sox’s ststem, that’s allowed to matter. He doesn’t need the help.

These fake searches don’t just stink for the team, they are absolutely racially biased, and Jerry Reinsdorf agreed with and understood that 10 years ago. On the record, he said that the Selig rule existed because these types of fake searches were racially biased and needed to be gotten rid of. He has apparently decided they’re fine by him now and exactly what he wants. He was right a decade ago when he praised the Selig rule and he’s flat out wrong now.

Also, when's the last time he hired somebody that was Jewish? I'm starting to think he is antisemitic. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Jake said:

Doesn't the Selig rule specifically have a carveout for internal hires (that also obligates you to hire an URM elsewhere in the org)?

The Sox are to file a succession plan to include diverse individuals for future leadership positions.

https://theathletic.com/2957093/2021/11/15/mlb-makes-changes-to-selig-rule-focused-on-internal-promotions/

1. Any club making an internal promotion for a senior baseball operations position must provide the Commissioner’s Office with a succession plan for all of the club’s senior baseball operations positions. That plan requires the club to include diverse individuals for future leadership positions.

2. In the event of a non-diverse internal promotion, it’s the Commissioner’s expectation that a diverse individual will be promoted, or hired, to a vacancy created by the promotion.

3. A club must provide the Commissioner’s Office with notice of the internal promotion and the rationale for not conducting an external or internal interview process.

Ironically this comes on the heels of Kenny Williams’ comments  revealing disappointment in MLB’s lack of progress, getting fired, and then having an unqualified White guy replace him.

https://theathletic.com/2956711/2021/11/15/at-gm-meetings-white-soxs-ken-williams-expresses-frustration-disappointment-with-mlbs-lack-of-progress-in-front-office-diversity/

When hiring top baseball executives, teams continue to go almost exclusively with White males, even when in some cases candidates from underrepresented groups might be more qualified.

Williams, 57, said that before signing his most recent contract in early 2020, he told White Sox owner Jerry Reinsdorf it would be his last. Part of the reason, he said, was “my dismay with the industry I’ve given my life to not valuing people that look like me enough.”

What rankles Williams most in recent years is a double standard: Teams place less emphasis on experience when promoting certain White men to top executive positions, yet cite a lack of experience when denying those same opportunities to people of color and women. “As I told the group, I’m not saying that someone in that room shouldn’t be there,” Williams said. “I’m saying give others an opportunity.”

4 hours ago, Milkman delivers said:

Getz can claim he didn’t know about the Selig Rule. 

That’s why they are also bringing in Tony, to help Getz learn the rules.

Well, the unwritten rules.

I know all the rules, but the rules did not know me……

9 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Based on?

It’s Harold so guessing the scouts believe they can railroad Getz. Hopefully not the ones that didn’t want to draft Colson because he liked basketball.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Yeah man, you’re really stretching on this one and you don’t need to. There are plenty of things to hate about JR without this one. La Russa is half Hispanic. So his former EVP was black, and the last three managers were Hispanic. And as much as I’m sure Getz will suck, he has worked his way up the ladder internally.

Edited by Milkman delivers
  • Like 1

• Quin changed the title to After an exhaustive search, Getz named GM/VP