Fire Chris Getz

South Side Hit Men

5 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

The White Sox are quite literally the worst team in baseball.  No one here needs to be talking about how other teams do business because every single other one is doing better Screenshot_20240601_191930_X.jpg

I went and looked at the quote and Grifol led off with video.

Ozzie never looking at video to reflect on mistakes would explain a lot.

31 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The Sox currently sit at -0.4 fWAR on the season.  Chris Getz has built a team below replacement level.  I honestly think Jeremy Haber’s laptop with some ChatGPT could have built a more competent roster.

When you are the 9th worst starting time of all time, you don't get to crap on how other people build teams.  It's you.  You are the problem.  Especially when two months ago you were talking about competing every day and the like.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The Sox currently sit at -0.4 fWAR on the season.  Chris Getz has built a team below replacement level.  I honestly think Jeremy Haber’s laptop with some ChatGPT could have built a more competent roster.

This was inevitable from April of 2023. I guess they could have done better on scrap heap additions like Milwaukee did, but the overall talent in the org was so bad that once the rebuild failed, there was nothing. I think next year is going to be just as bad. Maybe Getz is terrible, but short of naming Angels in the Outfield as the new GM, they were gonna suck. This level of suckitude was achieved with the help of injuries and Getz’s curious decision to keep the worst manager of my lifetime. Maybe he gets a F for that, but there was only so good the roster was ever gonna get.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

This was inevitable from April of 2023. I guess they could have done better on scrap heap additions like Milwaukee did, but the overall talent in the org was so bad that once the rebuild failed, there was nothing. I think next year is going to be just as bad. Maybe Getz is terrible, but short of naming Angels in the Outfield as the new GM, they were gonna suck. This level of suckitude was achieved with the help of injuries and Getz’s curious decision to keep the worst manager of my lifetime. Maybe he gets a F for that, but there was only so good the roster was ever gonna get.

I was in touch with a member of the front office yesterday and they had an interesting comment.

They said that the injuries to Jimenez, Moncada and Robert forced the other guys on the team to have to do things they simply weren't capable of doing.

I didn't want to press the situation or kick them when they are down since they are a friend but I wanted to tell them that the three injured guys were totally unreliable to begin with given the health history and the fact that Getz brought in players that were barely acceptable talent-wise at the MLB level was a recipe for disaster. 

In other words the Sox should have seen this coming (and I'm guessing they probably did but JR was OK with the situation) 

Posted (edited)

There have been great pitchers who once sucked. There have been more pitchers who just sucked. Nastrini sucks right now, but he has talent. It wouldn't surprise me  he is successful if he can get a little command. That's his issue, and it's always been. Fixing it is easier said than done.

Edited by Dick Allen

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

There have been great pitchers who once sucked. There have been more pitchers who just sucked. Nastrini sucks right now, but he has talent. It wouldn't surprise me  he is successful if he can get a little command. That's his issue, and it's always been. Fixing it is easier said than done.

https://dodgersnation.com/former-dodgers-pitcher-traded-for-now-top-prospect-dfad-by-new-team/2024/04/16/

Dodgers don't tend to make many mistakes with pitchers they trade away.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/player/_/id/4208281/ryan-pepiot

White Sox would love to be getting Pepiot's numbers out of Pastrami.

Yordan Alvarez is another story.

Edited by caulfield12

On 6/2/2024 at 9:13 AM, Chicago White Sox said:

Also have to mention the $142M pay roll. I know Getz inherited a few bad contracts, but can’t just ignore that we have this bad of a roster with a middle of the league payroll

Posted (edited)
On 6/2/2024 at 8:13 AM, Chicago White Sox said:

I don’t disagree that people on this board could put together a better roster or coach better on the field.  In fact, I would prefer that over Grifol.   However, doesn’t a good chunk of what’s happening lay at the feet of JR not giving the resources to do what is needed?  We also spent on guys who don’t add much and block AAA talent from getting exposure.  Unless that is somehow on purpose.  If Getz wasn’t given the green light to add enough MLB-level talent, there is no way we could compete.

This team would probably perform better if we replaced some of our starters with bench guys on other teams.  

I was happy when we signed Pham because it meant we were getting someone who could noticeably contribute.  Paul DeJong was a decent signing for the cost if he could hit above .230 because he gets a good amount of XBHs.  Right now he’s batting .231 with 18 XBHs out of 39 hits.  It’s just those 18 XBHs have netted just 20 RBI - we don’t have many guys who get on base and most of his HRs have been solo shots.

Edited by tjp1684
  • Like 1

The scary thing about Nastrini is the spiked fastballs.  Pitchers don't spike fastballs at any level and he spikes 3-4 a game.  It's clearly a mental thing with him and how he made it to the big leagues without truly trusting his fastball is amazing and a little hard to believe.  

2 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

The scary thing about Nastrini is the spiked fastballs.  Pitchers don't spike fastballs at any level and he spikes 3-4 a game.  It's clearly a mental thing with him and how he made it to the big leagues without truly trusting his fastball is amazing and a little hard to believe.  

He also overthrow a fastball like Ricky Vaughn / Michael Kopech.

7 minutes ago, fathom said:

Defense being the worst in baseball is absolutely hilarious to me

In the offseason I partially had myself convinced that this team would at least be easier to root for...they wouldn't score but at least would play good defense and play hard......NOPE 

• Love 1

1 minute ago, wegner said:

In the offseason I partially had myself convinced that this team would at least be easier to root for...they wouldn't score but at least would play good defense and play hard......NOPE 

I said it would be the most boring team in Sox history…yep

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

This team is far from boring, just not in a good way.

9 hours ago, wegner said:

I thought pretty much the same thing. Knew they’d be worse due to having much less talent, but I thought they’d be fundamentally solid.

Edited by Milkman delivers
  • Like 2

As far as I am concerned, no one connected with the White Sox has any credibility. It starts with the owner working down to the GM and the Field Manager. It extends to the spokesmen on the post and pre-game show and ends in the TV broadcast booth. I don't believe in one thing that is said. And I couldn't care less about what is in the farm system.

Next year is the 20th anniversary of the World Series team. A long time. It will get longer. Much longer. But can't wait for that new stadium!

• Like 1