Fire Chris Getz

South Side Hit Men

1 hour ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Contenders usually make trades for players that improve their teams at the deadline.  I doubt Flexen, Clevinger, and Brebbia are going anywhere.

If somebody's on the cusp on Wild Card contention, has nothing in 2 rotation spots, and if the top of the market's too dear for them, they can slot down and just pick up an available innings eater. 

34 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Middleton and Graveman aren’t really good comparisons to Brebbia.  Middleton had pitched well with the Sox and was earning $750K.  Graveman pitched well for the Sox and looked like he was worth his contract.  The Astros also had a fondness for him since he pitched well for them the prior year.  I don’t see a team being very excited to pick up the rest of Brebbia’s $5.5 million salary for this year, along with either a $6 million team option or $1.5M buyout, with the way he has pitched thus far.

Joe Kelly had a near 5 ERA when he was traded by the Sox.  His inclusion didn’t goose jack squat.  The Sox included him to dump his salary.  The Dodgers needed a starter and thought Lynn would turn it around, which he sort of did.  They probably took on Kelly due to familiarity but they mainly wanted Lynn.

Some of the people that you're saying will never be traded, or that you seriously doubt will be traded are names that are showing up in reporting on teams' interest in Sox players. I'm not sure why your negativity stretches to denying that anybody on this team will be traded. 

A team trading for Brebbia will be on the hook for $1.3 million the rest of 2024, then either $1.5 buyout, or $6m for 2025. None of those are crazy money that teams would shy away from. Again, he's had 5 bad outings in 30. That's why his ERA looks bad. He's been consistent since the end of May. 

Just now, WestEddy said:

Some of the people that you're saying will never be traded, or that you seriously doubt will be traded are names that are showing up in reporting on teams' interest in Sox players. I'm not sure why your negativity stretches to denying that anybody on this team will be traded. 

A team trading for Brebbia will be on the hook for $1.3 million the rest of 2024, then either $1.5 buyout, or $6m for 2025. None of those are crazy money that teams would shy away from. Again, he's had 5 bad outings in 30. That's why his ERA looks bad. He's been consistent since the end of May. 

1 in 6 outtings being "bad" is a really bad thing.  That isn't like saying oh he had one bad outting where they left him out there to die and it skewed his numbers.  That is a really bad outting about every 2 weeks.

3 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

1 in 6 outtings being "bad" is a really bad thing.  That isn't like saying oh he had one bad outting where they left him out there to die and it skewed his numbers.  That is a really bad outting about every 2 weeks.

Fine. He has made changes that have made him more effective. From SoxMachine:

https://soxmachine.com/2024/06/pregame-notes-how-to-tell-if-your-pitcher-is-tired/

–A White Sox pitcher who did recently have their workload adjusted in response to fatigue might be Jordan Leasure, who has made one scoreless appearance with Triple-A Charlotte since being optioned on June 14. That throttling of Leasure’s workload is intentional.

Leasure walked 10 hitters and allowed nine earned runs over his last 11 major league appearances. Biomechanical breakdowns of his delivery showed Leasure’s arm lagging behind when his delivery reached foot strike, which hampered the sharpness of his slider and riding action of his four-seam fastball. Between those symptoms and the 25-year-old handling the workload of a major league setup man for the first time, the White Sox put two and two together.

“He’s just a touch off from where he’s been,” said pitching coach Ethan Katz. “But he’s been worked pretty hard. He’s been used a lot. His workload is much higher than it has been in years past. Last year he had one back-to-back. He’s done that quite a bit here. Is it a fatigue thing with the arm [not] getting to its spot? Possibly.”

–Leasure’s “breather” in Triple-A puts more onus on the recently activated Steven Wilson and John Brebbia to fill the setup void. Since lowering his glove arm’s placement in his delivery, Brebbia has retired 23 of the 29 batters he’s faced in the month of June, and recorded his second save of the season on Tuesday night.

• Like 1

Don’t know where else to put this but the Sox offense is better than last year’s team when it comes to launch angle (2024: 12th/2023: 29th), walk rate (2024: 28th/2023: 30th) and ground ball rate (2024: 12th/2023: 29th).

I don’t know if it’s coaching or the types of players they brought in but it’s encouraging. 

11 hours ago, Boopa1219 said:

Don’t know where else to put this but the Sox offense is better than last year’s team when it comes to launch angle (2024: 12th/2023: 29th), walk rate (2024: 28th/2023: 30th) and ground ball rate (2024: 12th/2023: 29th).

I don’t know if it’s coaching or the types of players they brought in but it’s encouraging. 

We have -2.1 fWAR from our position players and have a wRC of 78 as a team. We are talking about lipstick on a pig here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

We have -2.1 fWAR from our position players and have a wRC of 78 as a team. We are talking about lipstick on a pig here.

This is a tear down year, Getz has filled this team with stop gaps and guys who are only here to be traded. As the team acquires more good players as it starts to build back up this could mean a lot and help the team win more games. This is encouraging for the future

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Boopa1219 said:

This is a tear down year, Getz has filled this team with stop gaps and guys who are only here to be traded. As the team acquires more good players as it starts to build back up this could mean a lot and help the team win more games. This is encouraging for the future

He signed Maldonado for $4.5 million to start at catcher and acquired Nicky Lopez and paid him $4.3 million to start at 2B.  I don’t care if it is a tear down year or not.  That should give you some pause and make you wonder about your GM’s player assessment and evaluation skills.  He burned almost $10 million on two players that he won’t even be able to trade because they are so bad.  Any Sox fan on this site could have told you in the offseason that these two guys would be wasted signings and money.  That isn’t encouraging at all.  And don’t forget trading for Fletcher.  Getz values sh1t players.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Heard Josh Nelson today say Getz won’t be at the MLB Draft Combine, even with 4 picks in the Top 80 this year. Now I don’t know how common that is, that GM’s don’t go down there, but it seemed odd to me 

12 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

11.32 ERA in 10.1 innings with Charlotte this season.

1.69 ERA in 16 innings with Boston’s AAA team after Getz DFA him and traded him to Boston for cash.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Haha 1
  • Paper Bag 1

5 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

That's brutal. Dude couldn't even find the real thing? Had to go to some horse roids?

Also known as equipoise.  Still a popular steroid for human use.  Will shrink your balls faster than a Sox half inning of offense.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Also known as equipoise.  Still a popular steroid for human use.  Will shrink your balls faster than a Sox half inning of offense.

As someone that has been gym adjacent and in them going on 30 years the explosion in PED use among normies is rather shocking. I see more guys clearly on gear at my gym now in one week then you'd see all year 15 years ago.

You can order the s%*# risk free on the Internet for the most part and because guys on the juice rarely admit it, and noobs aren't experienced enough to know the limits of natty, you have this weird thing now where more people than ever are juicing, and yet more people than ever think these guys are just natural.

7 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

As someone that has been gym adjacent and in them going on 30 years the explosion in PED use among normies is rather shocking. I see more guys clearly on gear at my gym now in one week then you'd see all year 15 years ago.

You can order the s%*# risk free on the Internet for the most part and because guys on the juice rarely admit it, and noobs aren't experienced enough to know the limits of natty, you have this weird thing now where more people than ever are juicing, and yet more people than ever think these guys are just natural.

Yea, it's pretty wild.  I've had a few friends that were on the juice for a cycle or two and the progression and gains they made was pretty noticeable in a short time.  That said, they still put in the work in the gym.  In fact, they were there more than the rest of us that didn't, because their recovery time was so much quicker.  Normal people assume you take them and instantly get jacked, but really, you have to put the work in.  But yea, 15 years ago, you could easily tell the few guys that were on it.  Now, it's all over the place.

• Like 1

I’ve been about as pessimistic about promoting from within a bad organization but it’s hard to deny the strides the minor league teams have made. Their farm is most likely going to be top 5 to end the season, which different from last rebuild has much stronger depth especially on the pitching side

Once Pedro is out at seasons end, I actually kind of think the Sox are in a good place for the future. I will never allow myself to go full blown “Pray for the League” again but there’s something here. Here’s to hoping the Sox have another strong draft, hopefully they keep Luis Robert and Crochett and use both as foundation pieces but if they decide not to it’s because a team(s) paid a premium which oddly enough I trust Getz to get right. 

Edited by Rey21
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Overall a positive piece IMO. If there IS an actual development plan in place between Chicago and Charlotte like Cannon suggests, that is what I’ve been hoping for for years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JoeC said:

Overall a positive piece IMO. If there IS an actual development plan in place between Chicago and Charlotte like Cannon suggests, that is what I’ve been hoping for for years.

Yeah I think the early returns, at least on pitching, has been incredibly promising. The bigger hitting prospects are doing what they need to do (minus Colson, I suppose). But the pitching is obviously further along than the hitting, which makes sense given the talent gap.

• Like 1