Fire Chris Getz

South Side Hit Men

Yeah, no ONE deal killed this team.  But when you start piecing together Jake McCarthy instead of Fletcher, a different Bummer trade that was supposedly out there, stronger returns for Kopech and Fedde, the 3 or 4 guys who ended up being decent relievers who went through Chicago and were dumped by Getz...and move after move like it, yeah you aren't getting a playoff team out of this mess, but say a 60 to 70 win team isn't out of the question.  And while it isn't like we are making the playoffs, not being the worst team in baseball history is a good thing.  THIS is what Chris Getz should be grilled for.  Yeah, he inherited what he inherited, but we can judge him for what he has done, or hasn't done in some cases.

• Thanks 3
  • Paper Bag 1

33 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Yeah, no ONE deal killed this team.  But when you start piecing together Jake McCarthy instead of Fletcher, a different Bummer trade that was supposedly out there, stronger returns for Kopech and Fedde, the 3 or 4 guys who ended up being decent relievers who went through Chicago and were dumped by Getz...and move after move like it, yeah you aren't getting a playoff team out of this mess, but say a 60 to 70 win team isn't out of the question.  And while it isn't like we are making the playoffs, not being the worst team in baseball history is a good thing.  THIS is what Chris Getz should be grilled for.  Yeah, he inherited what he inherited, but we can judge him for what he has done, or hasn't done in some cases.

And a 60-70 team with a rebuilt farm system can look forward.

The worst team in baseball history combined with Colson, other offensive prospects regressing and making Miguel Vargas your cornerstone deadline acquisition, 🤷🏻‍♂️.

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

51 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Excellent post.  I am sick of reading posts about how there was absolutely nothing that Getz could have done or done differently.  Yeah, he wasn’t going to make the playoffs but if he didn’t make such awful moves, the Sox wouldn’t be on pace for the worst record in MLB history.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Really?  What is that, urine yellow?  🤣

It's just the color of sand. I think it's pretty tasteful. I really like the City Connects for Houston, AZ, Miami, Colorado, and ATL. I would put the Sox at #6 but the top 6 for me are all pretty interchangable. Serpientes is my favorite though 

14 minutes ago, joejoesox said:

It's just the color of sand. I think it's pretty tasteful. I really like the City Connects for Houston, AZ, Miami, Colorado, and ATL. I would put the Sox at #6 but the top 6 for me are all pretty interchangable. Serpientes is my favorite though 

Okay, the picture is deceiving then.  I know the names don’t have to be the actual team names (e.g., Southside), but I don’t like it because Serpientes means Snakes, not specifically Diamondbacks.  But I am just being nitpicky.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

14 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Okay, the picture is deceiving then.  I know the names don’t have to be the actual team names (e.g., Southside), but I don’t like it because Serpientes means Snakes, not specifically Diamondbacks.  But I am just being nitpicky.

Sounds a lot better than Las Espaldas De Diamante.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

Fletcher is a terrible hitter.  His swing is so weak.  Our scouts have no idea what a good hitter looks like.

I’ve still never watched him play but that’s super concerning.  

I feel like KW mostly targeted good players with his sneaky deals.  They could find TCQ, Eaton.  They had their misses for sure too.  

It’s early but Getz’ trades feel like they’re leaning miss overall.  

33 minutes ago, fathom said:

Fletcher is a terrible hitter.  His swing is so weak.  Our scouts have no idea what a good hitter looks like.

Well given the number of full time scouts in the organization you can understand why I guess. 

54 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Well given the number of full time scouts in the organization you can understand why I guess. 

Even worse, Fletcher was a recommendation from our assistant GM Josh Barfield, who was the D-backs director of player development for four years before joining the Sox and had supposedly seen and evaluated what a good player Fletcher was.

And apparently, Getz was stupid enough to listen to Barfield and take back Fletcher over Jake McCarthy for Mena.

So not only do we have one GM that can’t evaluate talent, we have two GM’s that can’t!!!

Edited by WhiteSox2023

16 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Even worse, Fletcher was a recommendation from our assistant GM Josh Barfield, who was the D-backs director of player development for four years before joining the Sox and had supposedly seen and evaluated what a good player Fletcher was.

And apparently, Getz was stupid enough to listen to Barfield and take back Fletcher over Jake McCarthy for Mena.

So not only do we have one GM that can’t evaluate talent, we have two GM’s that can’t!!!

Extra year of control over an at best 4th/5th outfielder. 

Brilliant. 

20 minutes ago, Rusty said:

Kopech for the Dodgers so far:

10.1 IP, 0.00 ERA, 1H, 1BB, 15Ks

This organization sucks so hard.

Haha, oh well.  Has even one of Getz’s trades turned out well for the Sox?  Even the Cease trade looks questionable at this point.

BAD owners and front offices produce BAD.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

3 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Haha, oh well.  Has even one of Getz’s trades turned out well for the Sox?  Even the Cease trade looks questionable at this point.

BAD owners and front offices produce BAD.

Especially if Thorpe goes under the knife...but then some will speculate an accompanying 2-3 mph velocity uptick as well.

JR owed the fans Chris Getz. He delivered, then asked for $1 billion.

"That moved me to the thought -- what is it I owe to the fans? I think one of the things I owe the fans is to get better as fast as we can possibly get better. Speed is of the essence. I don't want a long-term proposition.

"It became clear to me that he [Getz] would be one of the major candidates, alongside these other candidates. And then when I started thinking about the speed I owe the fans, I realized that if you bring in somebody from the outside, it's gonna take him a year, he's gonna have to evaluate everybody in the organization. So you'll lose a year."