Fire Chris Getz

South Side Hit Men

Worth revisiting

“So much of this is going to start from the top. It’s going to start with me,” Getz said. “Players, staff, anyone in this organization needs to know what we’re about and where we’re moving forward. We really need to establish the identity of what the White Sox are about.

“I feel like we’ve lacked that. So I’ve set out to do that right now. Eventually, these players will go out there and meet expectations, but the ultimate goal is to go beyond the expectations. That’s when you know you have a strong culture.”

• Haha 1
  • TLR 1
  • Paper Bag 1

Posted (edited)

objectively this team is going to need a lot of subjective decisions before they can even get remotely competitive to think like an objective team you subjectively objective subjective objective 

Edited by bobbydanks

Posted (edited)

I would love to hear what Jerry has to say about this season, and for someone to ask him the question about hiring Getz so the team wins now, yet he ended up with one the worst teams in major league baseball history.

Edited by ScootsMcGoots

8 hours ago, bobbydanks said:

objectively this team is going to need a lot of subjective decisions before they can even get remotely competitive to think like an objective team you subjectively objective subjective objective 

I find this post to be subjectively objectionable.

1 hour ago, ScootsMcGoots said:

I would love to hear what Jerry has to say about this season, and for someone to ask him the question about hiring Getz so the team wins now, yet he ended up with one the worst teams in major league baseball history.

Remember, only Chris Getz could assemble this.

• Haha 2
  • Paper Bag 2

Getz chose to take back Dominic Fletcher over Jake McCarthy from the D-backs in the Christian Mena trade.  Now the Phillies are interested in McCarthy, because he has had a good season so far…

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2024/06/09/mlb-players-starting-to-fear-for-their-safety-from-gamblers/74028741007/

≻ The Philadelphia Phillies are keeping an eye on Diamondbacks left-handed hitting outfielder Jake McCarthy if the D-backs decide to make him available at the trade deadline.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

3 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Getz chose to take back Dominic Fletcher over Jake McCarthy from the D-backs in the Christian Mena trade.  Now the Phillies are interested in McCarthy, because he has had a good season so far…

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2024/06/09/mlb-players-starting-to-fear-for-their-safety-from-gamblers/74028741007/

Im sure that one is also on Barfield.

17 minutes ago, socksless joe said:

I object -RBG

Uh-oh.

Maybe all White Sox fans need to start flying upside down Cubs' W flags or create their own unique version of "Southside Stand Down" L flags in protest of the general decrepitude of the organization.

Worst offense by 3 whole fWAR in all of the MLB and the only team in negative numbers overall, pitching and hitting.

Pitching 28th at 3.1, ahead of only Houston and Colorado.

Without Robert and Crochet...absolutely unwatchable to all but the most die hard fans or masochists.

4 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Worst offense by 3 whole fWAR in all of the MLB and the only team in negative numbers overall, pitching and hitting.

Pitching 28th at 3.1, ahead of only Houston and Colorado.

Without Robert and Crochet...absolutely unwatchable to all but the most die hard fans or masochists.

And the worst fielding team in baseball.  It is unwatchable now.

• Thanks 1

The results on the field wouldn't change, but it's amazing to me the lack of transparency the Sox have decided to show. When Getz did his initial media tour, he used the same line on multiple shows. "We have a responsibility to our fans to earn their trust back." Ok, easy line to say, a lot of FO's say the same thing, but if you really have zero interest in doing that, then don't say it. 

Getz could have bought himself so much more rope with the fanbase if he just would have come out and been somewhat transparent with what he is "trying" to accomplish. "From a foundation standpoint, this organization was not left in a great spot. You had a baseball operations department that was here for a very long time and you started to see a deterioration in the quality of the overall organizational talent over the last few years. So as I sit here today, we're doing so many things behind the scenes to start to build those foundations the right ways, make the right investments, to allow us to have a strong pipeline of talent from the lower levels of the minor leagues all the way to the Major League Level. But that process is going to take time, and it's what I'm focused on from the moment I wake up until the moment I fall asleep. Sox fans deserve it, and that is our only goal right now. I promise Sox fans they'll start seeing it on the field over the next few seasons, but it's going to take some time to start seeing our effort pay off at the Major League level."

Fine, you at least told me you had a process, you're gutting the house, taking it down to the studs. Even a quote like that will make me feel 10% better about things, it tells me you want to engage and speak to the fan base and you at least took the time to come up with a quote. 

But of course, none of that was done. The closest we got was Getz saying "I don't like my team." Super. Once again, the lack of just effort, which of course comes from the top, is always front and center for the White Sox. They just don't care. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Tony said:

But of course, none of that was done. The closest we got was Getz saying "I don't like my team." Super. Once again, the lack of just effort, which of course comes from the top, is always front and center for the White Sox. They just don't care. 

And of course it looks like no one cares on the field either.

• Like 1

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5552757/2024/06/13/royals-bobby-witt-jr-royals-turnaround/?utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=mlbtw&source=mlbtw

Sad because so much of this sounds like it could be the white sox. A longtime GM/Pres combo being sacked, but sticking within the org for a fresh voice in getz. Bringing in some outsiders to revamp pitching and player dev.

But what's the crucial missing ingredient? A new owner who pushed the new gm to cut the s%*# with the old ways and start modernizing the team.

I'm sure JR is that voice, right?

• Like 1

On 6/10/2024 at 3:48 PM, Tony said:

The results on the field wouldn't change, but it's amazing to me the lack of transparency the Sox have decided to show. When Getz did his initial media tour, he used the same line on multiple shows. "We have a responsibility to our fans to earn their trust back." Ok, easy line to say, a lot of FO's say the same thing, but if you really have zero interest in doing that, then don't say it. 

Getz could have bought himself so much more rope with the fanbase if he just would have come out and been somewhat transparent with what he is "trying" to accomplish. "From a foundation standpoint, this organization was not left in a great spot. You had a baseball operations department that was here for a very long time and you started to see a deterioration in the quality of the overall organizational talent over the last few years. So as I sit here today, we're doing so many things behind the scenes to start to build those foundations the right ways, make the right investments, to allow us to have a strong pipeline of talent from the lower levels of the minor leagues all the way to the Major League Level. But that process is going to take time, and it's what I'm focused on from the moment I wake up until the moment I fall asleep. Sox fans deserve it, and that is our only goal right now. I promise Sox fans they'll start seeing it on the field over the next few seasons, but it's going to take some time to start seeing our effort pay off at the Major League level."

Fine, you at least told me you had a process, you're gutting the house, taking it down to the studs. Even a quote like that will make me feel 10% better about things, it tells me you want to engage and speak to the fan base and you at least took the time to come up with a quote. 

And as per usual, half measures.  Not gutting down to the studs per se, but removing this layer of paint I don’t like while keeping the fridge that works only on Tuesdays, but you can’t replace or remove the fridge you must count on it to be a fridge and have its normal temperatures from 5 years ago 

17 minutes ago, Boopa1219 said:

I said this when they made the Bannister hire but when are the Sox going to make a similar hire on the hitting side?

When Bannister is promoted to GM, because if you've seen videos of him at work (at least with the Giants), he doesn't treat computers like Zoolander and Hansel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1