Fire Chris Getz

South Side Hit Men

39 minutes ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

Clown

lol. This is such a clown fucking org. They sure backed off all that talk (not that it was every anything other than utter BS) about a quick turnaround and how Getz's familiarity with everything would help expedite that.

They just lie to our faces over and over and expect us to keep coming back for more.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

21 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I thought the advantage of promoting Getz to GM was that he wouldn’t need an entire year to assess the state of the team, like an outside hire would have?

IMG-0964.jpg

So many adds on the site and you’re the last post, so for a second I actually thought wow an add for clown shoes seems so appropriate for this thread

• Haha 3

27 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I thought the advantage of promoting Getz to GM was that he wouldn’t need an entire year to assess the state of the team, like an outside hire would have?

IMG-0964.jpg

But think of all the failed minor leaguers he DFAd and traded, while forgetting he was responsible for their development. 

• Like 1
  • Paper Bag 1

4 hours ago, PaleAleSox said:

In his defense, he didn’t say they would turn it around quick. That was the root of all the problems who said that. 

Yeah but he did say this:

“I think I can address the elephant in the room that we do play in the AL Central. Every year, it seems that the division is up for grabs."

5 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Translation:  we're fucked.

I actually was refreshed by the answer - it was honest. JR said his nonsense but it’s clear Getz is bringing it down to the studs - Pedro will be gone by end of the year. 

I don’t think Getz is greatest in world but what he is doing fundamentally has made sense. No long term deals / seems very open to dealing almost anyone not on a full rookie timeline - made a couple high risk high reward moves, some worked but some didn’t - but none had long term risk. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

lol. This is such a clown fucking org. They sure backed off all that talk (not that it was every anything other than utter BS) about a quick turnaround and how Getz's familiarity with everything would help expedite that.

They just lie to our faces over and over and expect us to keep coming back for more.

To be fair, Getz never said any of that. That was all Jerry. I think it’s smart that Getz didn’t put a timeline on the team, it’s too early to do so. Why give someone rope to hang you with if you don’t have to. 

• Like 2

What else could Getz have said?  JR is the one who made this hire, saying someone who wouldn't need an extended period of time to learn the system was the way to go...because this wasn't a rebuild...and the team could be competitive this year.  Getz has done a decent job with the constraints he has.  But until he's allowed to spend and actually sign some impact players, he and all of us know the team won't be competitive any time soon.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

IMG-0964.jpg

But then we wouldn't have been treated to this magical and historic season!

10 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

I actually was refreshed by the answer - it was honest. JR said his nonsense but it’s clear Getz is bringing it down to the studs - Pedro will be gone by end of the year. 

I don’t think Getz is greatest in world but what he is doing fundamentally has made sense. No long term deals / seems very open to dealing almost anyone not on a full rookie timeline - made a couple high risk high reward moves, some worked but some didn’t - but none had long term risk. 

Neither of these things are actually clear though. We don't actually know that Getz is tearing it down to the studs, and we likely won't until the trade deadline. As for Grifol, I still think that is entirely out of his hands at this point.

Getz put out a roster in 2024 that he thought would be solid, with real defensive improvements as well as a better clubhouse culture. Yet here we are on June 19th, and they finally crossed 20 wins last night. He assembled one of the worst teams in Major League Baseball history thinking it could be competitive in the division. He did not lock himself into bad longterm money, I'll give him that, but there has been no emphasis on development for the future. This entire year has been a waste and does nothing to help the longterm health of the roster. He sounds more clueless than anything on how to actually fix the mess he helped orchestrate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yet another reason to be annoyed by Getz…

The Cubs just DFA Yan Gomes today to get his awful and decrepit 36 year old ass off their team after picking up his $6 million dollar option in the offseason.  He has been terrible both offensively and defensively this season.  The Cubs realized he was done, made the decision to cut him, and replaced him with former Mets catcher Tomás Nido.

Meanwhile, Maldonado has been even worse than Gomes, is earning less this season ($4.5 million), and is still a member of the Sox.

Gomes:  .154 / .179 / .242 / .421

Maldonado:  .083 / .139 / .130 / .269

Edited by WhiteSox2023

4 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

Neither of these things are actually clear though. We don't actually know that Getz is tearing it down to the studs, and we likely won't until the trade deadline. As for Grifol, I still think that is entirely out of his hands at this point.

Getz put out a roster in 2024 that he thought would be solid, with real defensive improvements as well as a better clubhouse culture. Yet here we are on June 19th, and they finally crossed 20 wins last night. He assembled one of the worst teams in Major League Baseball history thinking it could be competitive in the division. He did not lock himself into bad longterm money, I'll give him that, but there has been no emphasis on development for the future. This entire year has been a waste and does nothing to help the longterm health of the roster. He sounds more clueless than anything on how to actually fix the mess he helped orchestrate.

1) Most of our prospects were too far away to focus on their development at the major league level. However, Leasure, Fletcher, Sosa, Ramos, Cannon, Thorpe, Lee, Colas, DeLoach, Julks, Nastrini and Colas have all seen time on the ML club. 

2) The players acquired for this year will be traded for prospects. Grossman has already brought back a AA reliever. Fedde, Flexen, Clevinger, Brebbia, Wilson, Pham and DeJong will most likely be moved for prospects. The meaningless nature of the games has afforded them the opportunity to give Sheets extended playing time, check out Crochet as a starter, and give Kopech a chance to showcase himself as a closer.

I don't think Getz really thought this team would be "competitive", but who knows? He sounds clueless on how to elucidate the restrictions placed on him this season without actually acknowledging them. What else is he going to say when directly asked about firing the manager?

We all seem to keep forgetting that his lineup was saddled with 5 players who either got injured, or started the season in a horrible slump. Or both. 

Edited by WestEddy
  • Like 1

Contenders usually make trades for players that improve their teams at the deadline.  I doubt Flexen, Clevinger, and Brebbia are going anywhere.  All three have been bad.  Clevinger would have to get healthy and actually pitch well, and even then, no one wanted him last year.  Brebbia has been terrible and is earning $5.5 million.  If they do get traded, the return will be absolutely minimal.

Agreed on Wilson, Pham, and DeJong being moved.  Wilson, I could see them keeping due to his years of control even though they should sell high when they can.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

1 hour ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Yet another reason to be annoyed by Getz…

The Cubs just DFA Yan Gomes today to get his awful and decrepit 36 year old ass off their team after picking up his $6 million dollar option in the offseason.  He has been terrible both offensively and defensively this season.  The Cubs realized he was done, made the decision to cut him, and replaced him with former Mets catcher Tomás Nido.

Meanwhile, Maldonado has been even worse than Gomes, is earning less this season ($4.5 million), and is still a member of the Sox.

Gomes:  .154 / .179 / .242 / .421

Maldonado:  .083 / .139 / .130 / .269

The Cubs are trying to win. The White Sox aren’t. They also believe that Maldonado’s game calling and leadership has helped their young pitching. I don’t understand the fixation on Martin Maldonado. He just doesn’t matter that much. 

• Like 2
  • Fire 1

9 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

The Cubs are trying to win. The White Sox aren’t. They also believe that Maldonado’s game calling and leadership has helped their young pitching. I don’t understand the fixation on Martin Maldonado. He just doesn’t matter that much. 

The Sox are trying to win, otherwise Getz wouldn’t have scrambled to pick up additional players after the season had already started like Pham and Clevinger.  They are just really bad at it.  Also, their draft pick was already decided, so there isn’t really any reason for them to intentionally tank.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

The Sox are trying to win, otherwise Getz wouldn’t have scrambled to pick up additional players after the season had already started like Pham and Clevinger.  They are just really bad at it.  Also, their draft pick was already decided, so there isn’t really any reason for them to intentionally tank.

They’re the worst team in the league. They didn’t expect to be this bad but worst team in the league was 100% on the table from the start. They grabbed players to flip at the deadline. This isn’t tough to understand. 

• Like 4

19 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

IMG-0964.jpg

Would prefer a timeline for expunging the clown car management posse. Ralph Kramden could steer the team better. 

56 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Contenders usually make trades for players that improve their teams at the deadline.  I doubt Flexen, Clevinger, and Brebbia are going anywhere.  All three have been bad.  Clevinger would have to get healthy and actually pitch well, and even then, no one wanted him last year.  Brebbia has been terrible and is earning $5.5 million.  If they do get traded, the return will be absolutely minimal.

Agreed on Wilson, Pham, and DeJong being moved.  Wilson, I could see them keeping due to his years of control even though they should sell high when they can.

In his last 9 appearances, Brebbia sported a 1.17 ERA, struck out 2 batters per inning, and has a WHIP under 1.00. His season's ERA is skewed by 5 bad outings in 30 appearances. Any team in contention acquiring Brebbia would probably pick up his 2025 option if he pitches adequately.

4 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

In his last 9 appearances, Brebbia sported a 1.17 ERA, struck out 2 batters per inning, and has a WHIP under 1.00. His season's ERA is skewed by 5 bad outings in 30 appearances. Any team in contention acquiring Brebbia would probably pick up his 2025 option if he pitches adequately.

So minimal minimal return.

Just about saving money at this point.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Rounds 2-20 are slotted by overall record. 

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

So minimal minimal return.

Just about saving money at this point.

Kenyan Middleton brought back an A-ball starting pitching prospect. Graveman brought back our current starting catcher. Joe Kelly's inclusion in the Lynn deal most likely goosed the Nastrini/Leasure return, as did Lopez' inclusion in the Giolito trade. 

Reynaldo Lopez' and Joe Kelly's stats weren't all that stellar when they were traded. 

I get the need to be compulsively  negative on every comment. I'm guessing you don't really know what return they're going to get for Brebbia, or that they're only trading him to save money. 

16 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Kenyan Middleton brought back an A-ball starting pitching prospect. Graveman brought back our current starting catcher. Joe Kelly's inclusion in the Lynn deal most likely goosed the Nastrini/Leasure return, as did Lopez' inclusion in the Giolito trade. 

Reynaldo Lopez' and Joe Kelly's stats weren't all that stellar when they were traded. 

I get the need to be compulsively  negative on every comment. I'm guessing you don't really know what return they're going to get for Brebbia, or that they're only trading him to save money. 

Middleton and Graveman aren’t really good comparisons to Brebbia.  Middleton had pitched well with the Sox and was earning $750K.  Graveman pitched well for the Sox and looked like he was worth his contract.  The Astros also had a fondness for him since he pitched well for them the prior year.  I don’t see a team being very excited to pick up the rest of Brebbia’s $5.5 million salary for this year, along with either a $6 million team option or $1.5M buyout, with the way he has pitched thus far.

Joe Kelly had a near 5 ERA when he was traded by the Sox.  His inclusion didn’t goose jack squat.  The Sox included him to dump his salary.  The Dodgers needed a starter and thought Lynn would turn it around, which he sort of did.  They probably took on Kelly due to familiarity but they mainly wanted Lynn.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1