Fire Chris Getz

South Side Hit Men

2 minutes ago, Texsox said:

If you were a GM my negotiating with the Sox would you give away the farm to make a deal? It's obvious we are desperate sellers. He probably kept getting low balled with every team expecting him to cave. 

A good GM would walk away and keep his guy. It's not like we have stars on walk years. 

Sorry, this excuse won’t work.  The Marlins are a desperate seller almost every year and they had a great trade deadline of selling their assets.

Try again…

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 3

41 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Or, he doesn’t have the ability to get a decent return for his assets (see Fedde trade).

I want to sell you my old truck for $80,000. It has 60,000 miles. Am I a poor salesman if you walk away? 

If no one is willing to part with a "decent return" do you walk away or beg? Maybe he is bad, he probably is like every GM that has worked for the Sox, but without knowing what he asked for, and what was counter offered, it's a guess. 

Did he ask for too much? Was he unwilling to settle for less? 

Again, if you are a GM and the Sox are calling, you have the upper hand. They aren't going to compete, they have a cheap ass owner, and trying really hard to get rid of players. Why offer a haul? Low ball and wait until they cave. 

• Like 1

I want to sell you my old truck for $80,000. It has 60,000 miles. Am I a poor salesman if you walk away? 

If no one is willing to part with a "decent return" do you walk away or beg? Maybe he is bad, he probably is like every GM that has worked for the Sox, but without knowing what he asked for, and what was counter offered, it's a guess. 

Did he ask for too much? Was he unwilling to settle for less? 

Again, if you are a GM and the Sox are calling, you have the upper hand. They aren't going to compete, they have a cheap ass owner, and trying really hard to get rid of players. Why offer a haul? Low ball and wait until they cave. 

Once again, no one walked away from the Marlins and they got a good return on their trade assets.  They probably won the trade deadline as sellers.  Meanwhile, everyone and their grandma knows that the Marlins are a lower payroll team that has to move their pricier contracts almost each and every year.

So why didn’t your analogy apply to the Marlins, like it did with the Sox?

Edited by WhiteSox2023

4 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Once again, no one walked away from the Marlins and they got a good return on their trade assets.  They probably won the trade deadline as sellers.  Meanwhile, everyone and their grandma knows that the Marlins are a lower payroll team that has to move their pricier contracts almost each and every year.

What did he ask for and what was offered?

• Like 1

What did he ask for and what was offered?

Neither of us know that, for the Sox or the Marlins.  But you can find several articles right that have the Sox as the loser of the trade deadline and the Marlins as winners.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Neither of us know that, for the Sox or the Marlins.  But you can find several articles right that have the Sox as the loser of the trade deadline and the Marlins as winners.

So you think he asked for too much and wouldn't accept less? Asked for too little? Forgot to answer the phone? Another team calls, you look at their prospects, offer a trade. 

I agree he's probably bad at his job like every GM that JR has hired. There isn't secret Jedi mind tricks that cause GMs to overpay. The Sox are negotiating from a position of extreme weakness. Everyone knows they need to get rid of every decent player and try to build. As a rival GM there just isn't a need to offer the Sox a stellar or even equal return. 

• Like 1

“The goal going into this window at the deadline was to acquire offensive players,” Getz said. “To bring in four quality bats with the resources that we had, it’s something I’m very proud of. We feel very good about the players we acquired.

• Haha 2
  • TLR 1

1 hour ago, Lip Man 1 said:

“The goal going into this window at the deadline was to acquire offensive players,” Getz said. “To bring in four quality bats with the resources that we had, it’s something I’m very proud of. We feel very good about the players we acquired.

3 of which are at least 2 to 3 years from their MLB debut.

3 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Somehow Rick Hahn was able to acquire actual prospects in 2016 and last year.

If only there was someone who could develop them.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Texsox said:

I don’t really agree with that. Buying isn’t exactly a luxury for a lot of teams. They’re under pressure to add. And they have to compete with other buyers.

10 minutes ago, Quin said:

Somehow Rick Hahn was able to acquire actual prospects in 2016 and last year.

If only there was someone who could develop them.

Where is the guy who used to be head of player development?  ? 

7 hours ago, Snopek said:

I don’t really agree with that. Buying isn’t exactly a luxury for a lot of teams. They’re under pressure to add. And they have to compete with other buyers.

And who added big giving up top 100 prospects? 

12 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Sorry, this excuse won’t work.  The Marlins are a desperate seller almost every year and they had a great trade deadline of selling their assets.

Try again…

Would you have taken Norby and Stowers for Crochet if offered? 

1 hour ago, Texsox said:

And who added big giving up top 100 prospects? 

Exactly. I’m going to defend Tex here. Maybe the Marlins got a top 100 catcher in the back end, but there was a lot of “wow they got the #3 RHP prospect!” But very few hauls. 

Teams clearly had an idea on what they wanted to sell, and were less stringent on what they wanted. 

It worked against the Sox. It’s not all Getz, but it is a nightmare, because this was supposed to be our easy button to get out of hell.

But no draft pick reward. No prospect haul for our vets. No front office worth a damn. 

This is truly the worst situation in the mlb. We are extremely screwed via the CBA, have no spending advantage, and have a landlord as a baseball owner while every other Franchise has hobbyists who got in it to win.

• Thanks 2

Getz essentially traded Fedde,  the player who’s having the best major-league season of anyone traded at the deadline, and Pham for Tommy Edman. That is unconscionably bad.  He let Mozeliak commit grand theft. 

He then essentially flipped Edman  and Kopech for what we got from the Dodgers. That was actually a fair exchange.

Of course it was all in one bundle. 

2 minutes ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

I'm sure they took Fletcher because of service time remaining rather than talent. 

Getz and Grill both walk the plank with bags of rocks around their waists. Getz is just as bad at his job as the other knave. KC my azz. 

21 hours ago, Texsox said:

So you think he asked for too much and wouldn't accept less? Asked for too little? Forgot to answer the phone? Another team calls, you look at their prospects, offer a trade. 

I agree he's probably bad at his job like every GM that JR has hired. There isn't secret Jedi mind tricks that cause GMs to overpay. The Sox are negotiating from a position of extreme weakness. Everyone knows they need to get rid of every decent player and try to build. As a rival GM there just isn't a need to offer the Sox a stellar or even equal return. 

Judging him on the individual trades is only part of the evaluation it's how he is managing the assets and WHEN he is doing the trade.

Selling Cease when he did was a mistake. Cease is worth much more now then he was then. Not moving Roberts was a huge mistake he is worth less now then he was in the offseason.

Moving Kopech as a throw in could easily bite us and if it doesn't then where is the upside? I could go on and on. It's about the though process that goes into the decision making and the timing of these deals that I have the biggest problem with.

Judging on him the individual deals is much more difficult because we aren't there and we don't know what other offers are out there but we do know the returns haven't been great

10 hours ago, Texsox said:

Would you have taken Norby and Stowers for Crochet if offered? 

Of course not, and if you think Garrett Crochet is only worth as much as Trevor Rogers, I’m not sure what to say.  But just because a better package of players than Norby and Stowers wasn’t traded for a starting pitcher doesn’t mean a better offer wasn’t on the table for Crochet.  The offers for Crochet were no doubt better than Norby and Stowers, but they still weren’t likely good enough.

Do you really think when Crochet is ultimately traded, likely in the offseason, the Sox aren’t going to get a better package than Norby and Stowers?

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1