Fire Chris Getz

South Side Hit Men

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Chris Getz should be banished from baseball and forced to live his remaining days on a desert island with his former partner in crime Rick Hahn.  This 2024 squad is the biggest embarrassment in the history of professional sports and dude should not be given a second chance under any circumstance.

Nah Chris Getz should be forced to see his labors through. 

21 minutes ago, wegner said:

Dear Chris Getz,

Just resign, you schmuck.

Yours sincerely,

Soxtalk **

**does not include those who understand it's just your 1st season...keep up the good work.

I think that grace period excuse is evaporating as this gets uglier and uglier and the results of his acquisitions are mostly failures.

If JR had any pride he would realize he made a terrible mistake trying to not “waste a year” and completely clean house. What’s happening here is unprecedented and will most likely never be seen again. Well, unless he does nothing then I can see the 2025 White Sox saying “hold my beer”.  

• Like 3

10 hours ago, T R U said:

If JR had any pride he would realize he made a terrible mistake trying to not “waste a year” and completely clean house. What’s happening here is unprecedented and will most likely never be seen again. Well, unless he does nothing then I can see the 2025 White Sox saying “hold my beer”.  

I was watching some commentary on Dabo Swinney and how coaches like that that build a program and let it slip away (I think the demise of clemson is a little overrated, personally, but obviously the decline has been real).

They talked about how those coaches hang on too long to what they think college football should be rather than adjusting to what it is.

It is very on the nose to Reinsdorf.

For 30 some years, since 94 I'd say, he's run the team based on how he thinks baseball should be run. And, miraculously, in 2005 it worked where spreading money around on veterans was better than signing a giambi.

But it has continued to crumble as 2nd contract vets have been the worst value there is. Yet he still thinks that is better than paying amateurs, because I'm sure Joe Borchard or something.

You could hear it in his voice with Getz. Oh he'll be hard on the guys to actually do the fundamentals, unlike those other teams just looking at spreadsheets. 

Yet those teams are so much more fundamentally sound than ours. They don't understand modern baseball at all, or how to run a team. He just knows he doesn't like it and wants to believe he knows a better way.

Maybe this year, being such an embarrassment, could shake him out of it. But I doubt it. It sure has shaken me though, jesus christ this is embarrassing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, bmags said:

I was watching some commentary on Dabo Swinney and how coaches like that that build a program and let it slip away (I think the demise of clemson is a little overrated, personally, but obviously the decline has been real).

They talked about how those coaches hang on too long to what they think college football should be rather than adjusting to what it is.

For 30 some years, since 94 I'd say, he's run the team based on how he thinks baseball should be run. And, miraculously, in 2005 it worked where spreading money around on veterans was better than signing a giambi.

But it has continued to crumble as 2nd contract vets have been the worst value there is. Yet he still thinks that is better than paying amateurs, because I'm sure Joe Borchard or something.

You could hear it in his voice with Getz. Oh he'll be hard on the guys to actually do the fundamentals, unlike those other teams just looking at spreadsheets. 

Yet those teams are so much more fundamentally sound than ours. They don't understand modern baseball at all, or how to run a team. He just knows he doesn't like it and wants to believe he knows a better way.

Maybe this year, being such an embarrassment, could shake him out of it. But I doubt it. It sure has shaken me though, jesus christ this is embarrassing.

Good analogy with Clemson.

You would think that this season would force some kind of mass changes. I don't understand how he can't see this and be like "Man, I made a terrible decision".

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bmags said:

It seems logical he would come to that conclusion but I think his ego won't let him. He likes to go back and tell everyone they were wrong g about something and he was right. When they won the division in 83, he could have said anything joyous, but it was Harry and Jimmy were the scum of the earth. When the won the division in 2000, his first thought was how everyone was wrong about the White flag trade. When LaRussa made the HoF, he just wished Harry Caray was alive to see it. He's been so wrong lately but he will keep Gwtz around until he can say I told you so. It's really odd.

On 9/4/2024 at 1:34 PM, Dick Allen said:

It seems logical he would come to that conclusion but I think his ego won't let him. He likes to go back and tell everyone they were wrong g about something and he was right. When they won the division in 83, he could have said anything joyous, but it was Harry and Jimmy were the scum of the earth. When the won the division in 2000, his first thought was how everyone was wrong about the White flag trade. When LaRussa made the HoF, he just wished Harry Caray was alive to see it. He's been so wrong lately but he will keep Gwtz around until he can say I told you so. It's really odd.

Yes, he has to be right about everything., It's petty. The scum statement even surprised Hawk. He only hurts himself when he does these spiteful things. And now the franchise is completely falling apart, and it will be years before the team is winning again, if then. And he can keep his stupid stadium until he has a team to put in it.

On 9/4/2024 at 2:43 PM, Jerry McNertney said:

It's obvious that Getz was a woefully bad hire.

It really comes down to this:

If Generic General Manager was brought in instead of Getz, would fans want Getz retained or would they want him canned along with Paddy, Haber, Pedro, Tosar (who apparently got to weigh in on trade deadlines) and some scouts.

1 hour ago, Quin said:

It really comes down to this:

If Generic General Manager was brought in instead of Getz, would fans want Getz retained or would they want him canned along with Paddy, Haber, Pedro, Tosar (who apparently got to weigh in on trade deadlines) and some scouts.

Chris Getz is the epitome of failing upward. He should have never been put in charge of minor league development, yet here he is the architect of the worst team in the modern era of baseball. In any other org he would be laughed out of baseball to never be heard from again. Yet, his job is completely secure and he will get another crack at record setting futility thanks to arguably the worst owner in sports. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Paper Bag 1

55 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Chris Getz is the epitome of failing upward. He should have never been put in charge of minor league development, yet here he is the architect of the worst team in the modern era of baseball. In any other org he would be laughed out of baseball to never be heard from again. Yet, his job is completely secure and he will get another crack at record setting futility thanks to arguably the worst owner in sports. 

I hear all that, but hear me out: He played the game the right way.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Snopek said:

I hear all that, but hear me out: He played the game the right way.

And which game was that?

Seriously, how many games would a team full of Chris Getz's win? Would said team win more games than the team he himself constructed?

55 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

And which game was that?

Seriously, how many games would a team full of Chris Getz's win? Would said team win more games than the team he himself constructed?

I would guess 32 out of a 143 as of today. 

Getz isn't the only one who needs to go. The organization needs a complete overhaul, but that is not going to happen even with the 2024 embarrassment. The franchise is in the worst shape it has ever been. Playoffs? Even just .500? No one knows when either will happen. This is a complete farce. I don't know how JR sits in his owners' box and watches this, but he does. Skybox anyone?

Remember when Hahn was basically in tears during the presser after he was forced to hire TLR?  Getz is a worse hire than that.  That’s quite the low bar to get under.  A hire so bad that the guy was crying in public and…Getz is worse.

Far from sacking Chris Getz, if he had any self respect he would resign.

He has helped assemble what will be the worst squad in MLB history, virtually none of his trades or aquisitions seem to have worked out, and all this from a team that was not deliberately tanking apparently. It is not as if the current squad is bad with the prospect of a brighter future in the minors. At best the Sox can hope for a return to.500 ball by 2027. There is no prospect of Getz building a playoff capable squad in that time (even with the expanded WC) let alone one that could actually win a post season series.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Chimpton said:

Far from sacking Chris Getz, if he had any self respect he would resign.

He has helped assemble what will be the worst squad in MLB history, virtually none of his trades or aquisitions seem to have worked out, and all this from a team that was not deliberately tanking apparently. It is not as if the current squad is bad with the prospect of a brighter future in the minors. At best the Sox can hope for a return to.500 ball by 2027. There is no prospect of Getz building a playoff capable squad in that time (even with the expanded WC) let alone one that could actually win a post season series.

I recall people scoffing at me last year when I said that if Getz was smart at all he would turn this job down.

Now a year later he’s the personal laughingstock of the league. An Ohio congressman who covered up sexual abuse of wrestlers is scoring points by dunking on his team online. He’s the guy being quoted in the Onion.

He will have a couple years of employment if Reinsdorf is alive, but if either Reinsdorf passes or he gets tired of 100 loss seasons Getz will never work in an MLB front office again. His reputation is in the Reinsdorf and this is the end of his management career.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

I recall people scoffing at me last year when I said that if Getz was smart at all he would turn this job down.

Now a year later he’s the personal laughingstock of the league. An Ohio congressman who covered up sexual abuse of wrestlers is scoring points by dunking on his team online. He’s the guy being quoted in the Onion.

He will have a couple years of employment if Reinsdorf is alive, but if either Reinsdorf passes or he gets tired of 100 loss seasons Getz will never work in an MLB front office again. His reputation is in the Reinsdorf and this is the end of his management career.

Getz grabbed a GM job that no other team was offering him anytime soon.   But it will likely result in a much shorter front office career for him because he is going to have a terrible win/loss record with this team.  I wouldn’t be surprised if he doesn’t find another job in the MLB after his tenure with the Sox.  Just look at Kenny and Hahn.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

6 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Bold to assume he was going to get another even parallel job in another organization.  What about his previous job performance made you think he had other options?

• Like 1