Fire Chris Getz

South Side Hit Men

19 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The rebuild was fine until they fired Ricky and hired Tony.

Dont forget who the Director of Player Development and Assistant GM was during that timeframe.  Dude has literally failed upwards.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’ll keep saying it, but I was told in the offseason by a guy who knew Getz back during his college days that he was not known for being a bright dude.  And someone else recently messaged me and shared similar feedback.  To me, any time I hear Getz babbling in one of these interviews and not really providing any substance I can tell he’s a complete fraud.

Like there are many things wrongs with the company I work for, but I don’t pretend to have all the answers and think I could be CEO.  And that’s the problem with Getz.  Yes, he may understand where some of the cracks are in the organization, but does he have any idea how to fix them?  Seems like his only real idea was Bannister and now he’s all tapped out.

I don’t get the Bannister love at all

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, LittleHurtCG said:

The Sox never should have done the first rebuild and traded away Chris Sale. They did not have the proper infrastructure in place back then to do a scorched earth rebuild. We are still feeling the reverbarations of all the horrible decisions made by Rick Hahn and Kenny Williams starting back in the Winter of 2016. Chris Getz has only added fuel to an already raging inferno. 

If the White Sox didn’t do the 2017 tear down, I am nearly 100% confident that they would have 0 playoff appearances since 2008.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GREEDY said:

I liked Getz's offseason strategy (considering the reduced payroll circumstances) but the execution couldn't have gone worse.

They were were stuck with hoping and praying for Moncada, Eloy and Benintendi.

They chose to cash out on Cease but not Robert.  

They could have dumped Vaughn and Sheets and replaced them off the scrap heap and chose not to.

Pretty much missed on virtually every inherited player other than keeping Crochet a starter.

Major Leaguers aquired:  Shewmake, Lopez, Pillar, Soroka, Fedde, Flexen, Hill, DeJong, Brebbia, Fletcher, Thorpe, Maldanado, Clevinger.

Obviously hit on Fedde, and DeJong was offensively all they could have hoped for (shockingly bad defensively).  Otherwise incoming players ranged from underwhelming to complete trainwreck.  

Now the early return from the deadline could not have gone much worse.  

We just absolutely, positively cannot Getz and Barfield make 1 more decision for this organization.  Please Jerry, hire an outsider ASAP. 

What struck me about Domestic Violence Enthusiast Chris Getz’s strategery this offseason was how Reisdorfy it was.

What type of player, by name, did Reinsdorf say he wanted? David Eckstein, short white guys who play with TWTW. What did gets spend the offseason collecting? Guys who have obviously terrible stats but TWTW. Lopez, Maldonado, Fletcher, DeJong.

It’s the list of names I would have written about them going for if I was joking about them caring about TWTW more than stats. What has Getz talked the least about, getting on base, the importance of not judging someone just because their ex girlfriend published pictures of her bruises, or the importance of leadership?

Aside from the Royals obsession, it really was like JR got the exact type of player he wanted. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

If the White Sox didn’t do the 2017 tear down, I am nearly 100% confident that they would have 0 playoff appearances since 2008.

Who really knows. Maybe they catch lighting in a bottle again with Sale and Q as the anchors of the rotation and sneak into the playoffs one year? 

What is 100% a reality is that the Sox were not prepared internally to do a complete tank job back in 2016. They thought thye could just copy what the Cubs and Astros had done without putting in any hard work. The decisions to tank back then are still being felt today. 

7 minutes ago, LittleHurtCG said:

No it wasn't. It was built on an extremely flimsy foundation and was bound to collapse. 

What happened was they never addressed their shortcomings. They had an awful offseason in 2021-2022. That was followed up with an even worse one in 2022-2023, and an even worse one in 2023-2024. There is no reason to think it may improve. Jerry had one of the worst front offices in baseball, and he made it worse, and was either totally fooled or lied to the press and his fanbase. For us, it toally sucks. For him, he will just slash payroll to the point he can't help but make a profit, and be all in on Getz proving him right, even though it will never happen.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Paper Bag 1

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

If you call back to back playoff appearances flimsy for the first time in franchise history, sure.

Yes, but that's a huge asterisk. The first one was expanded playoffs after 60 games. Where their starting pitching was at that point doesn't make it seem plausible they would have been in the race had it been a normal year. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, LittleHurtCG said:

Who really knows. Maybe they catch lighting in a bottle again with Sale and Q as the anchors of the rotation and sneak into the playoffs one year? 

What is 100% a reality is that the Sox were not prepared internally to do a complete tank job back in 2016. They thought thye could just copy what the Cubs and Astros had done without putting in any hard work. The decisions to tank back then are still being felt today. 

Naw, they were set up for 90 losses in 2017. Melky and Frazier were on their last legs, Quintana took a huge step backwards, and they had zero help coming with an already high payroll for them. Follow that up with Sale getting a contract extension then getting hurt and that’s that, the next time the White Sox win 85 games is the next time they have a successful draft.

20 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Naw, they were set up for 90 losses in 2017. Melky and Frazier were on their last legs, Quintana took a huge step backwards, and they had zero help coming with an already high payroll for them. Follow that up with Sale getting a contract extension then getting hurt and that’s that, the next time the White Sox win 85 games is the next time they have a successful draft.

This too.  That group was in a downward spiral.  They weren't going anywhere.

5 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I get that he inherited a mess as the GM. However, he was already involved in the organization so it's not like he didn't know what was here. I can understand an outside GM hire saying that and it making sense.

Its not as if he can blame lack of player development in the minors, because he was supposed to be responsible for that!

• Like 1