9/8 4th Place .338 Sox at 3rd Place .453 Tigers

Texsox

21 minutes ago, Highland said:

2005 was the last time I remember an AL Central first place team actually being good.

It has been a minute, but I consider these six teams as legitimate WS contenders based on the current playoff rules.

The actual World Series winner (Kansas City) is arguably the weakest of the six.

• 2006 Detroit (95-67 - 5th highest Team bWAR) - Lost World Series 4-1 vs. Saint Louis.
  • 2007 Cleveland (96-66 - 4th highest Team bWAR) - Lost Game 7 of ALCS to WS Winner Boston (WS Sweep)
  • 2013 Detroit (93-69 - 2nd highest Team bWAR) - Lost ALCS 4-2 to WS Winner Boston
  • 2015 Kansas City Royals (95-67  - 7th highest Team bWAR) - Won World Series
  • 2016 Cleveland (94-67 - 5th highest Team bWAR) - Lost Game 7 of the World Series
  • 2017 Cleveland (102-60 -1st in Team bWAR) - Lost ALDS 3-2

25 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

It has been a minute, but I consider these six teams as legitimate WS contenders based on the current playoff rules.

The actual World Series winner (Kansas City) is arguably the weakest of the six.

• 2006 Detroit (95-67 - 5th highest Team bWAR) - Lost World Series 4-1 vs. Saint Louis.
  • 2007 Cleveland (96-66 - 4th highest Team bWAR) - Lost Game 7 of ALCS to WS Winner Boston (WS Sweep)
  • 2013 Detroit (93-69 - 2nd highest Team bWAR) - Lost ALCS 4-2 to WS Winner Boston
  • 2015 Kansas City Royals (95-67  - 7th highest Team bWAR) - Won World Series
  • 2016 Cleveland (94-67 - 5th highest Team bWAR) - Lost Game 7 of the World Series
  • 2017 Cleveland (102-60 -1st in Team bWAR) - Lost ALDS 3-2

That 2019 Twins team won 101 games and was top 4 in fWAR for both offense and pitching. That was a worthy team too, their problem of course is they can't ever beat the Yankees in the playoffs. 

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

That 2019 Twins team won 101 games and was top 4 in fWAR for both offense and pitching. That was a worthy team too, their problem of course is they can't ever beat the Yankees in the playoffs. 

They were 6th in bWAR and I hate Minnesota, so more of my personal bias but yes, I can buy an argument for them being mentioned.

They had the fourth best record in MLB; Houston was 107-55, New York 103-59 and Los Angeles 106-56. Minnesota was a bigger WS Championship Underdog than just about any other 100 + win team heading into the playoffs in MLB history. The sad AL Central had a greater tanking stench then usual (Detroit 47-114; KC 59-103 & Sox 72-90).

21 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

My brother likes his reviews and I've watched a few from Vegas and Chicago. I enjoy seeing a pizza before ordering, and enjoyed the two area reviews.

His said his favorite non cheese slices for "off camera" are peppers, onions and mushrooms. Prefers pepperoni over sausage, so I find that a bit suspect, at least as a Chicagoan. I prefer no pizza over pepperoni, though realize Chicago is an exception in terms of more sausage sold over pepperoni.

The above was discussed within the first two minutes below - politics, the feud and such are after so people can skip over if they like.

My Top Two Chicago and Vegas Pizzas are:

• Chicago: La Villa (Pulaski & Grace) and Dino's (Higgins near Sayre). RIP Tony and Lill's and Father & Sons.
  • Las Vegas: Amore Taste of Chicago (West Valley) and Pizza Rock (Downtown).

41 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

They were 6th in bWAR and I hate Minnesota, so more of my personal bias but yes, I can buy an argument for them being mentioned.

They had the fourth best record in MLB; Houston was 107-55, New York 103-59 and Los Angeles 106-56. Minnesota was a bigger WS Championship Underdog than just about any other 100 + win team heading into the playoffs in MLB history. The sad AL Central had a greater tanking stench then usual (Detroit 47-114; KC 59-103 & Sox 72-90).

2006 Twins down the stretch with Liriano and Santana and that lockdown bullpen were like kryptonite to Sox...

4 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Moncada is the new Burger.

Beating Benintendi in OPS 721 to 696

756 career ops

Its almost like a bad back can really screw you up. There was no way to know this though. They've only being playing baseball for over a century. Maybe when they pass 2 centuries someone will figure out if a bad back affects play or not. 

37 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Agreed. The problem with sausage outside of Chicago is the seasoning isn't correct. Pepperoni is just below pineapple and above anchovy on the topping list. 

I think this should be a new game thread theme.

let’s talk about food.

• Thanks 1

Just now, South Side Fireworks Man said:

So his back is fine now?

I believe it was mentioned a couple of weeks ago that he was finally feeling better. He came off the DL for his back on July 25th the last time.  Which does line up with this....

image.png

• Fire 1

14 minutes ago, CBJ03 said:

Its almost like a bad back can really screw you up. There was no way to know this though. They've only being playing baseball for over a century. Maybe when they pass 2 centuries someone will figure out if a bad back affects play or not. 

You're willing to bet your house he will put up a 775 ops next year when his future contract situation will finally be in doubt?

Other than getting rid of that contract and possibly getting something in trade return like Eder...he's irrelevant to the Sox future.

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

You're willing to bet your house he will put up a 775 ops next year when his future contract situation will finally be in doubt?

Other than getting rid of that contract and possibly getting something in trade return like Eder...he's irrelevant to the Sox future.

I dont discount that he's not in the Sox future. But I tend to be on the side that 2020 (COVID year) and 2022 were his only bad years while everyone around here acts like he's been a waste of roster space his entire career. I think in some ways he gets an awful reputation around here for things like "all he does is party" when I'm not sure that anyone around here actually knows that he case. He made music in the off season and everyone equated that to he doesnt give a s%*# about baseball which I think is an unfair assumption as well. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Hawk 1