9/9 Game Thread Sox only 9 back of @Tigers for 3rd

Texsox

Mr. Beef on Orleans went downhill several years ago. Al's was never good for me. Portillo's was decent before they sold to the hedge fund, now beef shrinkage, I like their sweet and hot peppers best among all the local option's I've tried. Never tried Buona, though like that they sell Rainbow Cones there. Maybe I'll stop in and try it, but hard to skip over my favorites.

Johnnies is solid among the ones mentioned. I like their Italian Ice the best, their beef and combos are solid as well.

I probably eat more Caputo's at home on either Italian roles or with garlic bread and of course Marconi's Hot Giardiniera, which I put on my choices below as well. Mr. Beef's on Harlem (not connected to 666 Orleans) short of the HIP was a top three until they sold a couple years ago. No it's a hard pass.

• Best Beef for home: Jay's - Nagle (Ridgeland for South Side Peeps) and Montrose 
  • Best Beef dine in: Bob-O's - Irving Park a few blocks east of Cumberland (First Ave for South Side Peeps) -Best fries among the choices.
  • Best Combo: Johnnie's - North Ave. and 75th Str
  • Best Grocery Option: Caputo's (Sold to go deli - it's not frozen).
  • Best South Side: Scatchell's - Cermak & 47th. Though bring your own peppers (don't like depression style celery + crushed red peppers).

Italian Beef Supercut!!!!

8 hours ago, wegner said:

Look at you with a nice little gamethread winning streak.

Finish with Shaw....always in awe.

Eighteen years posting here, first two game winning streak with me starting a game thread. And this year ? of all years. 

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, wegner said:

Look at you with a nice little gamethread winning streak.

Finish with Shaw....always in awe.

Finish with cole slaw, then dessert of cookie dough raw.

Lets keep these threads on topic, people. Food, glorious Chicago and suburbs food.

Hi de, hi de, hi de ho.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

40 minutes ago, Milkman delivers said:

Will admit that I’m not a big Italian beef fan. They’re alright. They’re at every party I go to (birthday, graduation, etc.) and I see them as mostly filler. The most important part of them is the giardiniera.

Correct on that one point. 

I prefer not to dunk it. Lots of guardinera. Sometimes cheese and pizza seasonings, but that would be maybe one out of ten. 

The beef itself has to be tender but with all the guardinera I usually won't notice spices on the meat. 

I think you have to work at finding a bad beef sandwich within 60 miles of the city. There are just so many really good ones. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Mr. Beef on Orleans went downhill several years ago. Al's was never good for me. Portillo's was decent before they sold to the hedge fund, now beef shrinkage, I like their sweet and hot peppers best among all the local option's I've tried. Never tried Buona, though like that they sell Rainbow Cones there. Maybe I'll stop in and try it, but hard to skip over my favorites.

Johnnies is solid among the ones mentioned. I like their Italian Ice the best, their beef and combos are solid as well.

I probably eat more Caputo's at home on either Italian roles or with garlic bread and of course Marconi's Hot Giardiniera, which I put on my choices below as well. Mr. Beef's on Harlem (not connected to 666 Orleans) short of the HIP was a top three until they sold a couple years ago. No it's a hard pass.

• Best Beef for home: Jay's - Nagle (Ridgeland for South Side Peeps) and Montrose 
  • Best Beef dine in: Bob-O's - Irving Park a few blocks east of Cumberland (First Ave for South Side Peeps) -Best fries among the choices.
  • Best Combo: Johnnie's - North Ave. and 75th Str
  • Best Grocery Option: Caputo's (Sold to go deli - it's not frozen).
  • Best South Side: Scatchell's - Cermak & 47th. Though bring your own peppers (don't like depression style celery + crushed red peppers).

Italian Beef Supercut!!!!

I worked at the HIP in the 80s. Footlocker to be specific. 

• Fire 2

34 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I prefer not to dunk it. Lots of guardinera. Sometimes cheese and pizza seasonings, but that would be maybe one out of ten. 

The beef itself has to be tender but with all the guardinera I usually won't notice spices on the meat. 

I think you have to work at finding a bad beef sandwich within 60 miles of the city. There are just so many really good ones. 

I love a combo sandwich myself. The Italian sausage and beef work so well together.

We have a mild disagreement in our household. I don't mind if the sausage is nice and tender when you bite into it. My wife and son both like a little snap to the sausage from the casing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Finish with cole slaw, then dessert of cookie dough raw.

Lets keep these threads on topic, people. Food, glorious Chicago and suburbs food.

Hi de, hi de, hi de ho.

Heading to Calumet Fisheries this weekend for the 1st time. Any suggestions from the menu to those in the know?

4-5 pound beef roast
1 large onion, coarsely chopped
1 jar of giardiniera in vinegar
1 jar pepperocini peppers 
1 packet zesty italian dressing mix
2 beef bouillon cubes
10 or so cloves of garlic (whole)
Water (or stock) to cover 80-90% of the ingredients

”seal” the beef by lightly browning the roast on all sides
dump everything in a slow cooker. Use enough fluid to cover 80-90% of the roast. Use the liquids from the jars as well.
cook on low overnight or about 18 hours

• Like 1
  • Love 1

53 minutes ago, wegner said:

I love a combo sandwich myself. The Italian sausage and beef work so well together.

We have a mild disagreement in our household. I don't mind if the sausage is nice and tender when you bite into it. My wife and son both like a little snap to the sausage from the casing.

You are correct. Natural casing / snap is gross for sausage or dogs.

I pass on Vienna as well, stick with Superdawg (may have a grocery store version soon) and Costco (Kirkland to go?) at this point. RIP Leon’s Sausage Hot Dogs (served at Wally’s, Tastee Freeze and others - “Garden on a Bun” Style.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/53045031755/

Can’t help with Calumet, but love the shrimp and fish chips at Frank’s with locations on the North and South Sides.

https://frankschicagoshrimp.com/franks-shrimp-locations-chicago-il-irving-park-archer-burbank/

1 hour ago, oldsox said:

Urena starting for Sox.  Who gave him to White Sox, Hahn or Getz?

Signed by Hahn August 7th.

1 hour ago, Texsox said:

I never worked at the HIP but hit Aladdin’s Castle, Rolling Stones and Jan’s Deli many times in the 1980s. My jobs were with Andy Frain (many locations include Sox and Cubs) and at the horse race tracks (Arlington, Sportsman’s, Hawthorne) in high school and college.

I’m more picky about food than White Sox GMs, so have to say I stick with tried and true. I’ve had bad to terrible beefs over the years. Dipped with sweet and hot the best version for me.

Italian Beef is only eaten in Chicago, zero percent chance I take a chance elsewhere without at least two quality trusted vouches which I’ve yet to receive.

4 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

You know the season has gone completely off the rails and interest has dropped to near zero when pizza and beef sandwiches are dominating game threads.

Gamethreads are like a box of chocolates.

• Like 1