Magglio Trade

The Beast

Should Magglio be traded?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Should Magglio be traded?

• Yes
    • No

I have never seen Magglio in a World Series game, so who knows how he would help us there. We got swept in 2000 when we got into the playoffs, I have no idea how Magglio did.

I don't think I would cry if he got traded, I would be excited at first because of who we were bringing in, then be a lil sad cause we were losing Magglio later on.

But if we got rid of mags, what would we chant during the game? :lol:

Paulie wants a cracka? (when paulie is at bat in a close game)-As a white man walks on the field

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is unfortunately not who we should WANT to keep on this team, but who we can AFFORD to keep. No 1 player should make 20% of your designated payroll for a 25 man roster. Its not economically sound. I want Maggs here as much as anyone, but if the right offer is made, then I'm sorry, but he has to go. Soriano is a)younger; b)cheaper; c)fills a position we need. He can put up similar or even better numbers than Maggs, and he doesnt put a strain on the teams finances like Maggs. If Ordonez wants to restructure his 2004 salary, provided it comes along with a 2-3 year extension, then I say please lets do it. But if not, then something must be done.

It is unfortunately not who we should WANT to keep on this team, but who we can AFFORD to keep. No 1 player should make 20% of your designated payroll for a 25 man roster. Its not economically sound. I want Maggs here as much as anyone, but if the right offer is made, then I'm sorry, but he has to go. Soriano is a)younger; b)cheaper; c)fills a position we need. He can put up similar or even better numbers than Maggs, and he doesnt put a strain on the teams finances like Maggs. If Ordonez wants to restructure his 2004 salary, provided it comes along with a 2-3 year extension, then I say please lets do it. But if not, then something must be done.

Yes but Kenny Williams will not trade Magglio. Its that simple.

Man.. how did this topic start.... We must keep Lee and Ordonez at all costs... i dont know if i would be such a monster sox fan withouth those 2...

go sox+illini+#45!

Trade Konerko and Koch! Now!

Obviously that's the goal, but to who and what. Magglio has huge value, while Kong and Koch do not.

Man.. how did this topic start.... We must keep Lee and Ordonez at all costs... i dont know if i would be such a monster sox fan withouth those 2...

go sox+illini+#45!

I think Los Angeles might be interested in Konerko, McGriff is a free agent and Konerko is younger and still has a lot upside.

I've heard a rumor that the Mets are interested in Billy Koch, if that's the case get what you can from them and trade his ass.

CWSOX45

go sox+illini+#45!

I think Los Angeles might be interested in Konerko, McGriff is a free agent and Konerko is younger and still has a lot upside.

I've heard a rumor that the Mets are interested in Billy Koch, if that's the case get what you can from them and trade his ass.

CWSOX45

Yeah, plus Konerko has LA Dodger connections...he played catcher for them before being traded in 1997 to the Reds. Who would we trade for Koch though?

go sox+illini+#45!

CWSOX45

Yeah, plus Konerko has LA Dodger connections...he played catcher for them before being traded in 1997 to the Reds. Who would we trade for Koch though?

Isn't it the same GM who brought Kong here, who is now GM at LA or something like that?

Yes but Kenny Williams will not trade Magglio. Its that simple.

Actually, I think KW would trade Maggs before any other GM would. KW doesnt have the emotional attachment to some of these guys that the rest of the Front Office do. K-Dub realizes that if he wants to field a team that can make some postseason noise, it may be very necessary to not have a 14 million dollar clog in your payroll system. If the right offer comes along, KW pulls the trigger IMO, and doesn't think twice. Soriano and a prospect(do the Yanks still have a minor league system?? :D , or are the other MLB teams it) will get the Yanks Ordonez.

go sox+illini+#45!

CWSOX45

Isn't it the same GM who brought Kong here, who is now GM at LA or something like that?

I believe so, I could be wrong though.

Not only that but Konerko was the Dodgers number one draft choice back in 1997.

CWSOX45

go sox+illini+#45!

CWSOX45

I believe so, I could be wrong though.

Not only that but Konerko was the Dodgers number one draft choice back in 1997.

CWSOX45

Dan Evans, an assistant to Ron Schueler for a while was part of the organization for a little while until taking the GM spot over in 2002.

Maggs is almost certainly going to have to be traded.  And the Yanks are the team that has the need and the money.  Whoever else it takes to get Johnson and Soriano, well, so be it.

You got it, YASNY, thanks for the vote of confidence on my thoughts :D King George will be ready to overspend, and no reason not to be on the good side of his impending high-priced player swap

King George was embarrassed after the World Series. He was pissed and angry. The best thing we could do is take advantage of him NOW while he's still unable to make rational, calm, and well thought out decisions.

I love Maggs just like the rest of you, but I also love the White Sox. And my love for the Sox runs deeper than my love for Maggs, who would have a good chance of leaving in a year or two anyways as a free agent. We can't afford him now, so how could we afford him in 2005 or 2006, when he would be even MORE expensive? He's still in his prime, and he's still coveted by many teams. Let's sit back and see which team is willing to ante up the most.

No way the Yanks stick with a platoon of Rivera, Garcia and Delucci in right. Sosa stayed with the Scrubs so there goes door #1 for Steiny. Vlad Guerrero will be door #2 but he'll stay with the Expos or go to the O's in my opinion. So that leaves behind door #3 Maggs! Or he can trade it all for what's in da box. :D

No way the Yanks stick with a platoon of Rivera, Garcia and Delucci in right. Sosa stayed with the Scrubs so there goes door #1 for Steiny. Vlad Guerrero will be door #2 but he'll stay with the Expos or go to the O's in my opinion. So that leaves behind door #3 Maggs! Or he can trade it all for what's in da box.  :D

Sheffield is door number three...Beltran for Soriano trade is door number four...endless possibilities.

I don't think Steinbrenner will overreact as much as everyone thinks. He has been remarkably quiet since the end of the WS.

I think he will take a look at the whole operation and begin to plan with his baseball people, whom he trusts (and listens to more often than not). He will realize that he is not going to be able to sign every free agent out there and that there may not be as many bidders for some of these high priced guys as in past years.

It is even possible that the Yankees will retool their club and use a little financial restraint at the same time. Maybe George will see that a team with a $62 million payroll beat him in 2002 and a team with a $55 (est) million payroll beat him in 2003. Perhaps he will decide he needs to spend his money a little more efficiently?

I don't think Steinbrenner will overreact as much as everyone thinks.  He has been remarkably quiet since the end of the WS.

I think he will take a look at the whole operation and begin to plan with his baseball people, whom he trusts (and listens to more often than not).  He will realize that he is not going to be able to sign every free agent out there and that there may not be as many bidders for some of these high priced guys as in past years.

It is even possible that the Yankees will retool their club and use a little financial restraint at the same time.  Maybe George will see that a team with a $62 million payroll beat him in 2002 and a team with a $55 (est) million payroll beat him in 2003.  Perhaps he will decide he needs to spend his money a little more efficiently?

Could there be a possible suprise move if Joe Torre gets fired and the managerial item of business gets delayed???

I am not optimistic about what would happen in an Ordonez trade. I like to think he would bring in a lot of good talent in a trade but I doubt it. All things being equal, that would be true, but another owner would already "giving" the Sox something very valuable in return for Maggs - namely the $14 million savings on his contract. Not many teams will say "sure I will take Mags off your hands for $14 mil and a lot of talent". In today's game, as the Pirates have illustrated - you pay for talent with money now, not other talent.

I say trade him--for pitching. I don't think Maggs is worth $14 million, especially when that constitutes a quarter of your payroll. If JR was willing to spend 90 million next year, then keep him, but if he's not, then you can't have one guy eating up that much money. I'd be much more willing to take my chances with better pitching than hitting--look at Oakland, 2 studs in their lineup, followed by a bunch of retreads, afterthoughts, and Chris Singleton. I really think only bad luck has kept the A's out of the WS the last few years, but you can't do anything about that. They are consistently good because of pitching, and at around the same payroll level, I think the Sox have to follow suit. If the Sox used Maggs' money to sign Pettitte, and say keep Colon, then I really don't care if they bring Dan Pasqua back to play right field, I think the Sox would be a better team.