Magglio Trade

The Beast

Should Magglio be traded?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Should Magglio be traded?

• Yes
    • No

I am not optimistic about what would happen in an Ordonez trade.  I like to think he would bring in a lot of good talent in a trade but I doubt it.  All things being equal, that would be true, but another owner would already "giving" the Sox something very valuable in return for Maggs - namely the $14 million savings on his contract.  Not many teams will say "sure I will take Mags off your hands for $14 mil and a lot of talent".  In today's game, as the Pirates have illustrated - you pay for talent with money now, not other talent.

I am afraid you are correct, which is why I would seriously consider an even swap of Maggs for Soriano if it were available. The Sox may have to package another young player or two to get more than Soriano, if they could even get that much.

Unfortunately, in this day and age, the money DOES matter.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I'm the only one here absolutely revolted by a Maggs for Soriano deal. I wish Maggs had put up a little better numbers last year. He was really off his game for a lot of the first half. The problem here is as usual Uncle Jerry has put us in a vise with a set in stone payroll. Again I say I don't want to spend like Steinbrenner, but a little flexibility is in order here. Maggs should be a cornerstone, a franchise player. If they deal him, and don't clean up on the deal then I'm doing some serious thinking and I've rooted for the Sox longer than most of you have been alive. This is one example of what is so badly wrong with the game of baseball. I say it again, if the Sox deal Maggs then that means we are looking like the Pirates of the AL. One other thing. It looks like salary madness might finally be ending in MLB, if the dumbass owners can avoid another "collusion" fiasco. Maggs and many others got their contracts at the tail end of this nonesense. These contracts are an albatross on many teams. As previously stated the team we trade Maggs to may not want to eat all of his contract. Just like we did not have to pay Everett and Alomar all of their money. This whole thing stinks and if ya'll want to celebrate the possible trading of Magglio Ordonez then be my guest. Why this love affair with Soriano? Is it the damn sabremetrics thing? The guy has no plate discpline. He's one bad season away from being solved by ML pitchers. In addition he sucks in the field. Just what we need, another free swinger who plays s***ty defense. If Maggs is traded I say there's a 90% chance that those who are clicking their heels will come to bitterly regret it. If Maggs stays healthy he has some monster years ahead of him. I expect both he and Lee will come up big in 2004 whether or not it's for us.

I have never seen Magglio in a World Series game, so who knows how he would help us there. We got swept in 2000 when we got into the playoffs, I have no idea how Magglio did.

I don't think I would cry if he got traded, I would be excited at first because of who we were bringing in, then be a lil sad cause we were losing Magglio later on.

But if we got rid of mags, what would we chant during the game? :lol:

OWEEO, OZZIEO!

I have never seen Magglio in a World Series game, so who knows how he would help us there. We got swept in 2000 when we got into the playoffs, I have no idea how Magglio did.

I don't think I would cry if he got traded, I would be excited at first because of who we were bringing in, then be a lil sad cause we were losing Magglio later on.

But if we got rid of mags, what would we chant during the game? :lol:

OWEEO, OZZIEO!

"Pay attention Carlos!"

Although I would hate to see Maggs if a deal for Soriano were on the table I would have to strongly consider it. Couple of quick points that would make this trade a good one for us. 1) maggs makes 14m a year Soriano makes no where near that much money. 2) Soriano is a second baseman or even shortstop which was his orginal position where Maggs is a RF which of the two positions do you feel is harder to fill??? 3) Soriano would give us something we havent had in sometime a real bas stealing threat... yes Mags has stolen 20+ bases in some seasons but Soriano could steal 50 bases in one year. When you look at things in a whole we could save money by not bringing back Jose to play SS trade mags for Soriano put Soriano at SS bring back Alomar or maybe even make a run at Castillo to play second and still add A solid SP and setupman maybe someone like a Hawkins and Ponson or Millwood. Like I said I would hate to see mags leave I followed him when he was in the minors and knew he would be a great player for our team but it is a business after all and sometimes in business you have to make tough choices.That being said if we could move Mags and his salary and pick up a guy as good as Soriano and the flexibilty to make other moves i think this would be a great move for our team not only now but for the future as well.

It's not feasible to think small market when you're in the third largest market. Like I said until I'm frikin blue in the face, just be a little flexible Mr. Reinsdorf. The first team to win a WS in Chicago is not going to regret spending a little.

I agree, but it's not going to happen.

I was just scanning the yankees website. There's no mention anywhere of getting rid of Soriano. There's no real logical reason for them to get rid of him. The only real talk is of moving him to center field.

There is, however, no doubt in my mind, that if KW is going to shop Ordonez, the Yankees will be a player.

Is there is a sitiation that the Bo Sox could be looking at Maggs? and if so who do you think we could/would get in return?

I was just scanning the yankees website.  There's no mention anywhere of getting rid of Soriano.  There's no real logical reason for them to get rid of him.  The only real talk is of moving him to center field.

There is, however, no doubt in my mind, that if KW is going to shop Ordonez, the Yankees will be a player. 

Is there is a sitiation that the Bo Sox could be looking at Maggs? and if so who do you think we could/would get in return?

No way they can afford him unless they ship off Manny, which probably ain't gonna happen. They'd rather hav Colon but they prob can't afford his demands either, and remember they've got to resign Pedro, Nomar etc. at the end of 2004.

I was just scanning the yankees website.  There's no mention anywhere of getting rid of Soriano.  There's no real logical reason for them to get rid of him.  The only real talk is of moving him to center field.

No way they can afford him unless they ship off Manny, which probably ain't gonna happen. They'd rather hav Colon but they prob can't afford his demands either, and remember they've got to resign Pedro, Nomar etc. at the end of 2004.

I just assumed the Bo Sox had just as deep pockets as the Yanks.

Why would there be anything on the Yankees site about them wanting to get rid of a player?  Of course, there is no mention of it.

Well he didn't really perform in the post season, and everyone around baseball expects stiebrener to make some heads roll. I thought there might be specualtion on which heads might be on the chopping block.

Why would there be anything on the Yankees site about them wanting to get rid of a player?  Of course, there is no mention of it.

Well he didn't really perform in the post season, and everyone around baseball expects stiebrener to make some heads roll. I thought there might be specualtion on which heads might be on the chopping block.

Not on the team's official site....

Check the NY newspapers for that kind of thing.

I voted no but it all depends on what we get back. For instance, Maggs for Soriano and Johnson is a YES! because we cut payroll and get a lot of talent. If we traded him to LA, than no.

Will everyone get through their heads that the Yankees will not take Maggs and his one-year, $14 million contract and give up Soriano and Johnson, who will make less then $2 million combined and not be eligible for free agency for 3-4 years yet!

To think the Yankees would make that trade is laughable...

Will everyone get through their heads that the Yankees will not take Maggs and his one-year, $14 million contract and give up Soriano and Johnson, who will make less then $2 million combined and not be eligible for free agency for 3-4 years yet!

To think the Yankees would make that trade is laughable...

I'm still hoping for the Ordonez/Soriano trade, but I agree with you Rex. The possibility of an Ordonez/Soriano & Johnson trade is zero, and your reasons illustrate the point completely. I once thought this trade possible, but Johnson's upside has pushed me into the other camp.

ApplingsRevenge

I don't think the Ordonez for Johnson and Soriano is conceivable at all. However, I wouldn't let Maggs go for either one of the straight up. As far as the Yankees not taking that $14 Million salary..... If King George wants Magglio then He's a Yankee. In Fact, I think Magglio makes more sense for the Yankees than either Vlad or Sheff. I can see the Yanks going after both Magglio and Beltran. Wouldn't surprise me a bit to see Matsui, Beltran and Ordonez in their outfield, with Giambi at 1B and Bernie W as DH.

Damn... That's sick.

I'm still thinking if ya wanna get Soriano AND Johnson, its gonna take Maggs+Rauch/Honel, and a mid to low range prospect. The Yanks may be wanting to make some big moves, but they won't make outright non-sensical moves like Maggs for Johnson+Soriano

I don't think the Ordonez for Johnson and Soriano is conceivable at all.  However, I wouldn't let Maggs go for either one of the straight up.  As far as the Yankees not taking that $14 Million salary..... If King George wants Magglio then He's a Yankee.  In Fact, I think Magglio makes more sense for the Yankees than either Vlad or Sheff.  I can see the Yanks going after both Magglio and Beltran.  Wouldn't surprise me a bit to see Matsui, Beltran and Ordonez in their outfield, with Giambi at 1B and Bernie W as DH.

Damn... That's sick.

The only chink in your armor there Yas, is that both Maggs and Beltran will be free agents after this coming season. So if the Yankees can't get them signed to an extension, either could walk after one year. And they may walk for reasons other than money.

Lastly. I think will see less and less of Steinbrenner spending wildly. I am not saying they won't go after big name free agents, because you know they will. But I have a hunch that with the changing climate of the game, even the Yankees will be a bit more fiscally responsible.