Colas sent to AAA (again)

9 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

The chance to work on things should be equal in both levels at this moment.  There are 12 games left in AAA and 18 in the bigs, it’s pretty dumb to send him down now unless it’s something none of us are aware of like a behavioral issue 

Maybe, so why not in AAA where he has a better chance at seeing if he's figured something out (rather than just being straight up overmatched)?
Maybe they think it's best to save some payroll and give him a dozen games in AAA, then call him back up to give him a chance to prove he learned something.

Maybe it's just stupidity.
Maybe they want him to have a chance to develop away from the idiocy and complacency of the "established" veteran teammates.

Your guess is as good as mine.

Colas has been a disaster in all phases, so I don't have a problem with them sending him out, but if not him, who is going to play right for them next year?  But at this point, I despise Grifol.  He's not good with the veterans he inherited and he is not good with the young guys. Exactly who is he good at leading?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Timmy U said:

Colas has been a disaster in all phases, so I don't have a problem with them sending him out, but if not him, who is going to play right for them next year?  But at this point, I despise Grifol.  He's not good with the veterans he inherited and he is not good with the young guys. Exactly who is he good at leading?

I mean, the realistic answer is "I don't care who plays RF for them next year they're in a 3 year rebuilding process again so it doesn't matter", you could play Colas there and hope for the best or you could find someone off the scrap heap as a platoon player and hope that they become useful enough to move at the deadline, and either one works equally well if you've admitted you're playing for 2027 already.

But the problem continues to be all the times they refuse to admit that. You have an owner who insists he owes it to White Sox fans to not conduct a GM search because it's important to "Win Soon". You have the constant rumors about acquiring a catcher who turns 34 next May. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Will he?

I mean, is it possible he gets traded?  Sure.  But it wouldn't make much sense, in my opinion. 

Sox have been looking for a LHH RF for years.  He hits LH.  He plays hard.  He has power.  He has a glove (though its been much worse than I anticipated, but a lot of his gaffes seem to be mental).  Don't get me wrong, its been a disaster debut season for Oscar.  But trading him now doesn't make a ton of sense to me. Its not like the Sox are forced to make a decision on him this offseason -- he can be optioned in 24 and 25. 

I'd much rather see them try to actually develop this guy than trade him after a disaster rookie campaign. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I mean, the realistic answer is "I don't care who plays RF for them next year they're in a 3 year rebuilding process again so it doesn't matter", you could play Colas there and hope for the best or you could find someone off the scrap heap as a platoon player and hope that they become useful enough to move at the deadline, and either one works equally well if you've admitted you're playing for 2027 already.

But the problem continues to be all the times they refuse to admit that. You have an owner who insists he owes it to White Sox fans to not conduct a GM search because it's important to "Win Soon". You have the constant rumors about acquiring a catcher who turns 34 next May. 

Hasn't JR already said a long contracted rebuild isn't happening this offseason? The Sox can't really even benefit that much from a tank job in 2024.  They cannot pick top 6 in the draft two years in a row.  

It is more than fair to debate that the "core" of this team isn't worth building around coming off an 100 loss season, but there is something there to work with, especially when you have Luis Robert and a guy in Cease you pretty much can't trade this winter at this point.  I think the Sox are much more likely to try to scrape together a .500ish team that could stay in the AL central race than enter another rebuild. 

If Chris Getz and his staff didn’t feel Colas was ready, why would Hahn and KW pencil him in RF to start the season?  At least Getz is a different voice, but it’s hard to imagine how he is an improvement. 

5 months ago the White Sox thought they could win a World Series in 2023 with Oscar colas as the regular RF.

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

If Chris Getz and his staff didn’t feel Colas was ready, why would Hahn and KW pencil him in RF to start the season?  At least Getz is a different voice, but it’s hard to imagine how he is an improvement. 

5 months ago the White Sox thought they could win a World Series in 2023 with Oscar colas as the regular RF.

Maybe Getz had very little power or say-so in the final decision. Remember the Sox (aka Hahn) didn't do a thing over the winter regarding RF yet kept saying they were "contending". Basically Hahn boxed himself into a corner on this one and had no choice but to see if Colas could bail him out.

Just a guess.  

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Hasn't JR already said a long contracted rebuild isn't happening this offseason? The Sox can't really even benefit that much from a tank job in 2024.  They cannot pick top 6 in the draft two years in a row.  

It is more than fair to debate that the "core" of this team isn't worth building around coming off an 100 loss season, but there is something there to work with, especially when you have Luis Robert and a guy in Cease you pretty much can't trade this winter at this point.  I think the Sox are much more likely to try to scrape together a .500ish team that could stay in the AL central race than enter another rebuild. 

Oh I expect them to try, and I expect them to be fighting the Tigers for 3rd place again at best. Their roster is just awful.

Colas hasn't been good, but I don't see the point in this. Who are they going to put in right field? Sheets? Besides that, the team is going nowhere, so what more damage can Colas do?

I don't know what message the team is trying to send the fans, but what they are doing is pointless. This does not instill confidence. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Highland said:

Colas hasn't been good, but I don't see the point in this. Who are they going to put in right field? Sheets? Besides that, the team is going nowhere, so what more damage can Colas do?

I don't know what message the team is trying to send the fans, but what they are doing is pointless. This does not instill confidence. 

They're trying to send a message to the rookie here, not to the fans. He may well deserve it, but at the same time, it's awfully frustrating to see the level of effort everyone else puts out on an average day for this franchise while only a couple rookies get singled out for this kind of message. 

• Thanks 1