MLB Trade Rumors - Chicago White Sox Offseason Outlook - by Tim Dierkes

South Side Hit Men

19 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

A smart likable owner can reverse four plus decades of decline under Reinsdorf and recapture or exceed a 50% Chicago fan base.

• At minimum a weekly Sunday game on WGN TV (dual simulcast with the cable channel), plus the entire 162 game schedule on WSNS (Telemundo) or WGBO (Univision) to regain exposure in the Chicago market, as other non televised teams lose relevancy in a cord cutting environment.
  • Everybody is welcome back to enjoy games. Cash accepted at ticket windows & concession stands, paper tickets issued by the White Sox (season tickets mailed or box office in person) accepted in addition to phone tickets. Paper print at home are not accepted to prevent duplicate / fraud issues.
  • Commit to staying at Comiskey Park with a 2-3 decade lease extension, pledge to use a portion of the windfall profits with the extended lease to:
    • Sponsor White Sox youth leagues throughout Chicago (CPD ballparks + Suburbs including equipment and or league / umpire costs).
    • Restore Veeck era school tickets for students (perfect attendance and/or A or B level grades).
    • Make parking (all games) and concessions (at minimum, rotating select weeknight specials) affordable.
    • Properly staff the stadium and security to prevent / intercede quickly to halt the violent brawls and gun violence plaguing the stadium this season.
  • Rename the ballpark Comiskey Park or White Sox Park, can still have a sponsor just underneath the marque like Wintrust proposed "Wintrust Field at Comiskey Park", which was the high bid rejected by Jerry Reinsdorf in scam for kickback payments from the sad current down arrow sponsor.
  • Ownership, management and announcers stop taunting White Sox fans or former players as scum or worse.
  • Owner hires baseball professionals to make baseball decisions, ownership does not micromanage or intercede.
  • Hire a baseball VP of Marketing to cater to all Chicagoans, not just aging boomers.
  • Host a 1983 Uniform Demolition Night.

Only the highlighted one is possible.

On 10/8/2023 at 5:46 PM, South Side Hit Men said:

A smart likable owner can reverse four plus decades of decline under Reinsdorf and recapture or exceed a 50% Chicago fan base.

• At minimum a weekly Sunday game on WGN TV (dual simulcast with the cable channel), plus the entire 162 game schedule on WSNS (Telemundo) or WGBO (Univision) to regain exposure in the Chicago market, as other non televised teams lose relevancy in a cord cutting environment.
  • Everybody is welcome back to enjoy games. Cash accepted at ticket windows & concession stands, paper tickets issued by the White Sox (season tickets mailed or box office in person) accepted in addition to phone tickets. Paper print at home are not accepted to prevent duplicate / fraud issues.
  • Commit to staying at Comiskey Park with a 2-3 decade lease extension, pledge to use a portion of the windfall profits with the extended lease to:
    • Sponsor White Sox youth leagues throughout Chicago (CPD ballparks + Suburbs including equipment and or league / umpire costs).
    • Restore Veeck era school tickets for students (perfect attendance and/or A or B level grades).
    • Make parking (all games) and concessions (at minimum, rotating select weeknight specials) affordable.
    • Properly staff the stadium and security to prevent / intercede quickly to halt the violent brawls and gun violence plaguing the stadium this season.
  • Rename the ballpark Comiskey Park or White Sox Park, can still have a sponsor just underneath the marque like Wintrust proposed "Wintrust Field at Comiskey Park", which was the high bid rejected by Jerry Reinsdorf in scam for kickback payments from the sad current down arrow sponsor.
  • Ownership, management and announcers stop taunting White Sox fans or former players as scum or worse.
  • Owner hires baseball professionals to make baseball decisions, ownership does not micromanage or intercede.
  • Hire a baseball VP of Marketing to cater to all Chicagoans, not just aging boomers.
  • Host a 1983 Uniform Demolition Night.

Would love to see all that happen.

• Fire 1

5 minutes ago, The Grinder said:

Id be afraid Perez would be another Grandal. Its the way the baseball Gods treat us

I'd be more afraid that he would be...Salvador Perez, as seen the past 2 seasons, with the $44 million remaining on his contract, and a high prospect price paid for him. 

• Like 1

Has the team indicated Chris Getz will speak later this month to the coaching changes and planned direction for the 2023-2024 offseason?

IIRC, the Renteria announcement was made about this time, or 1-2 days before Bob Nightingale announced Tony La Russa would likely become the next manager.

5 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I'd be more afraid that he would be...Salvador Perez, as seen the past 2 seasons, with the $44 million remaining on his contract, and a high prospect price paid for him. 

As much as I want to s%*# on the White Sox, there is just no way they take on all that money and give up meaningful prospects.

If the White Sox acquire Salvador Perez, it will be with KC picking up at least half that tab and the White Sox sending some middling prospect. Anything more than that and its braindead management.

I can stomach $10 million a year for 2 years of Perez even though its completely unnecessary for the state of this franchise.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, T R U said:

As much as I want to s%*# on the White Sox, there is just no way they take on all that money and give up meaningful prospects.

If the White Sox acquire Salvador Perez, it will be with KC picking up at least half that tab and the White Sox sending some middling prospect. Anything more than that and its braindead management.

I can stomach $10 million a year for 2 years of Perez even though its completely unnecessary for the state of this franchise.

I've said before and I'll say again - KC has very little money on their roster committed for next year, and they haven't stripped their payroll down to A's levels. They also had several suitors interested in Perez. They have zero reason to give up Perez without getting a tolerable return, and they have zero reason to eat any money at all unless they're getting a serious prospect for him. The White Sox are not talking about a free agent and they're not talking about a guy whose team is desperate to dump his money. They can easily hold him until the trade deadline this year and just see what happens if the best they can do is a middling prospect and they're still stuck eating $10 million of his deal. 

1 minute ago, JoeC said:

You can't make this s%*# up.

Like, we ALLLLLL saw this one coming.

I wouldn't mind Merrifield, but Perez?

Bruce Levine can.

He rarely is correct about White Sox baseball, and hopefully he won't start being correct today.

The only way I want Perez here is if he is traded for Benintendi to shed two net contract years (2026-2027).

Whit Merrifield is another mid 30s guy who won't surpass a .700 OPS for the White Sox. The roster is full of this garbage.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Why on Earth would the Royals do this?

Why on Earth would the Sox do the crazy s%*# they have done since 1981, including sign Benintendi?

Maybe the Royal fan base likes Benintendi, His AAV is lower ($16.5M 2024-2026 and $14.5M 2027), so that may be attractive as well.

Neither team is credibly trying to compete or win baseball games, so it's just a matter of signing a couple guys you can pimp to the fan base and hope you can sell over 10,000 tickets per game.

I am not as anti-Perez most Sox fans seem to be.  The FA catcher market is putrid, and I sure as s%*# know I don't want Lee as the only option. 

The issue is the dollars due.  If the Royals eat $27-30M, essentially making it a 2 year $14-17M deal, and the Sox give up nothing overly interesting, I can live with that.  What I cannot live with is paying him anymore than $7-8M AAV, and/or giving up anything of value to acquire him.  

Thing is, I bet the Royals still value Salvy a good bit just because he is their guy and fan favorite.  He's worth more to the Royals than anyone else.  So they probably aren't just going to hand him over and pay 75% of the tab to do so. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Why on Earth would the Sox do the crazy s%*# they have done since 1981, including sign Benintendi?

Maybe the Royal fan base likes Benintendi, His AAV is lower ($16.5M 2024-2026 and $14.5M 2027), so that may be attractive as well.

Neither team is credibly trying to compete or win baseball games, so it's just a matter of signing a couple guys you can pimp to the fan base and hope you can sell over 10,000 tickets per game.

So given that the Royals actually have a fan base who likes Perez way more than Benintendi...you've just justified well why the Royals wouldn't do this unless you pay for him.

17 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I've said before and I'll say again - KC has very little money on their roster committed for next year, and they haven't stripped their payroll down to A's levels. They also had several suitors interested in Perez. They have zero reason to give up Perez without getting a tolerable return, and they have zero reason to eat any money at all unless they're getting a serious prospect for him. The White Sox are not talking about a free agent and they're not talking about a guy whose team is desperate to dump his money. They can easily hold him until the trade deadline this year and just see what happens if the best they can do is a middling prospect and they're still stuck eating $10 million of his deal. 

I would be shocked if they give up a good prospect and eat most of the money.

I hope you are right and the Royals just keep him or send him elsewhere if that's the case.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

The Sox absolutely are interested in Salvy. This has been obvious for a year now.  The price will be way higher than most think.

I don't doubt the Sox have real interest in Salvy, but what I struggle with is why they would pay any sort of price to acquire him. He's a significant negative trade value at 2/$44M. Now I believe it that the Royals might have a high price on him, but I cannot imagine anyone, including Getz who just got this job, eating that deal and/or giving up legit prospects to get him. It doesn't make a sliver of sense. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I don't doubt the Sox have real interest in Salvy, but what I struggle with is why they would pay any sort of price to acquire him. He's a significant negative trade value at 2/$44M. Now I believe it that the Royals might have a high price on him, but I cannot imagine anyone, including Getz who just got this job, eating that deal and/or giving up legit prospects to get him. It doesn't make a sliver of sense. 

The reality with this player hasn't changed since the trade deadline, when we're pretty sure they asked about him, and where we believe the Royals had several interested parties but with the price being too high.

What has changed where this could happen now - have the Royals gotten more desperate to move him? I can't see why they would, they were content holding him at the deadline and there are no obvious new reasons why they just clear payroll. 

The only thing that might conceivably change to get this done would be the price the acquiring team would be willing to pay going up.

6 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

The reality with this player hasn't changed since the trade deadline, when we're pretty sure they asked about him, and where we believe the Royals had several interested parties but with the price being too high.

What has changed where this could happen now - have the Royals gotten more desperate to move him? I can't see why they would, they were content holding him at the deadline and there are no obvious new reasons why they just clear payroll. 

The only thing that might conceivably change to get this done would be the price the acquiring team would be willing to pay going up.

Well, the Sox have a new set of decision makers, so that changed since the TDL. 

If the price was too high in July, it may very well be too high still. The Royals can ask whatever they want.  If they still value him as vintage Salvy, good for them - they can enjoy paying him $44M the next two years to be a replacement level player.

I just don't see the Sox actually acquiring him unless Royals eat AT LEAST half the deal, and the prospect package is nothing overly interesting. Would be an odd first move for Getz to acquire an over the hill player getting paid like he's still a star. 

• Like 1