MLB Trade Rumors - Chicago White Sox Offseason Outlook - by Tim Dierkes

South Side Hit Men

2 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

You continue to say this without having any knowledge these guys were even available. It's kinda nauseating. 

I'm not sure which players were available or not, but the bottom line is that the White Sox have depended on minor league talent playing RF/2B in the middle of their supposed window for WS contention.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Do I need knowledge that players are available to suggest a trade ? If that's the criteria for suggesting trades then most who do it can expect you to censure them Some of them were actually traded or rumored to be available .Just from memory Daulton Varsho was traded and at some point the Orioles were said to be thinking about trading Anthony Santander. Kelenic might be been on the block too after repeatedly failing during his call ups. My main point was that Conforto would also have been a mistake and relating not signing him to the bigger mistake of signing Benintendi is  a stretch of logic. The Sox should have been looking for younger guys . Plenty were available and traded the last 2 years.

What's really nauseating is that very few here never realized that filling in the gaps with  middling FA's was never going to help the Sox when their farm system was not producing the cheap young talent.  The Sox needed to continue on a winning path should the core continue to keep being unproductive and injury plagued. Be it starting pitching or young LH hitting the Sox were failing miserably and that writing had been evident since the collapse in the 2nd half of 2021. Still most ( including me) believed that with a bit of health the Sox still might be able to contend with Moncada, Eloy, Vaughn and Robert and Cease having finished 2nd in Cy Young voting. But that never stopped me from saying they still needed to get younger not older.

If it makes you feel less nauseous you might also recall that since they never made a trade for a young LH OF I was full on broad with giving Colas his shot. Of course I thought he was ready but he wasn't and on top of that the Sox now seem like they are not enamored with him. So I am perfecting willing to say I was wrong there. However as a fan we aren't privy to knowledge that you seem to think I have to possess in order to have an opinion. I gather as much info as I have available in regards to players I'd like to trade for who would seem to fit the Sox needs. So sorry I don't live up to your standards that I should also know who is available before suggesting any trade.

I think your real point is that I continue to bring up Outman because I happened to be right about him and actually saying so breaks one of those macho rules about rubbing it in people's faces when it's perfectly fine for others to think I was nuts and make fun of my ideas at the time I was making those suggestions. Seems rather hypocritical to me.

Let’s not forget they were forecasting Gavin Lux to be a key infield/outfield contributor as well before the ACL.  Most likely at SS, though, with Seager gone.

Ofc, they never expected to have to rely on Trayce Thompson, Heyward and Mookie Betts as a part-time middle infielder, either.

At worst, they had little reason to trade him unless they were blown away since they clearly had to get cheaper and younger at some roster spots.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Let’s not forget they were forecasting Gavin Lux to be a key infield/outfield contributor as well before the ACL.  Most likely at SS, though, with Seager gone.

Ofc, they never expected to have to rely on Trayce Thompson, Heyward and Mookie Betts as a part-time middle infielder, either.

At worst, they had little reason to trade him unless they were blown away since they clearly had to get cheaper and younger at some roster spots.

Exactly. They were planning on playing him.

On 11/8/2023 at 1:50 PM, caulfield12 said:

And I said that myself at the time since I probably made 20 posts mentioning Outman's name once all the geniuses started telling me I was crazy to think he was better than the Dodgers ranked position player prospects.

But no matter how many posts I made explaining why he was a great fit the geniuses who don't want to hear about it now were all saying we had to sign veteran free agents and I'd hear stuff about how I was basing it on his 16 PA in 2022 and Outman sucks. Sure they were in no position to trade him because the Dodgers actually don't mind trying to fit some young players into a championship caliber roster once in a while but the point remains that now they will have to be blown away even more to trade him. The point of scouting is to identify guys before they start performing at a high level in the majors.

I'd like to see another person here find an unranked LH rookie CF with speed power and plays above average defense who comes in 3rd in ROY, puts up a 4.4 fWAR and is a positive in baserunning, defense and offense and a 12% BB rate to get to that 4.4 fWAR.  I'd also like to acknowledge that not all people on this board were meatballs , some actually thought I made  sense.

Even Stone Garrett, the rare RH OF I suggested had a better year than Benintendi even though he started the year in the minors then broke his leg when his spikes got caught in OF padding trying to rob a HR. Dave Martinez his Manager on the Nats had nothing but praise for him.

"His at-bats have been good, but he's been playing defense really well," Martinez said. "It stinks for us because he is one of our every-day players out there who is having a really good year."

Martinez also praised Garrett as a clubhouse leader and fan favorite.

"He means a lot to us," Martinez said. "He just has that presence about himself. Very soft-spoken, but he's one of the guys who liked to have fun, keep everyone loose. A great teammate."

Garrrett finished with 1.2 fWar in 88 games and an OPS of .801,115wRC+

But I suppose I had to know if he was available because he was such a stud that the D'backs released him and the Nats picked him up.

But hey welcome back to 2015 because Getz has to attempt to make the Sox competitive now and welcome to the same world Hahn had to live in of signing middling aging FA RH position players who suddenly forget how to play  and get old and injured once they come to the Sox.

Maybe Getz can even find another Tatis, Jr. type player to trade !

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

https://newarena.com/posts/predicting-where-the-top-25-mlb-free-agents-will-sign?utm_campaign=tb_df_freeagent_11223_mxc_dt&utm_source=tb_ae&utm_term=yahoo-home&utm_content=180203&tbclid=GiD7HNnBQ02E8wZSEgy0_29E9YT5ifvjvl3gzNmK5TC1QyD8tWEo19S6lNXdkId2&cost=TIb1NVKo9gKml3eQChgxFzhawko4dEWyBWmIE3sdqNQ=

Lourdes Gurriel Jr. predicted from WS team to the White Sox...???

Using Jim Bowden’s prediction for his The Athletic article, he predicts that Gurriel will get a three-year, $36 million deal, which totals $12 million annually. For the sake of comparison, that’s the same annual salary that veteran sluggers such as Michael Brantley, Joey Gallo, and Justin Turner signed for last winter, but for longer term, which makes sense, given Gurriel Jr.’s age. 

Feels like it's going to be much closer to the $40-45 million range, though.

Especially coming off an ASG appearance and with much improved fielding numbers to go with the offense.

10 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

https://newarena.com/posts/predicting-where-the-top-25-mlb-free-agents-will-sign?utm_campaign=tb_df_freeagent_11223_mxc_dt&utm_source=tb_ae&utm_term=yahoo-home&utm_content=180203&tbclid=GiD7HNnBQ02E8wZSEgy0_29E9YT5ifvjvl3gzNmK5TC1QyD8tWEo19S6lNXdkId2&cost=TIb1NVKo9gKml3eQChgxFzhawko4dEWyBWmIE3sdqNQ=

Lourdes Gurriel Jr. predicted from WS team to the White Sox...???

Using Jim Bowden’s prediction for his The Athletic article, he predicts that Gurriel will get a three-year, $36 million deal, which totals $12 million annually. For the sake of comparison, that’s the same annual salary that veteran sluggers such as Michael Brantley, Joey Gallo, and Justin Turner signed for last winter, but for longer term, which makes sense, given Gurriel Jr.’s age. 

Feels like it's going to be much closer to the $40-45 million range, though.

Especially coming off an ASG appearance and with much improved fielding numbers to go with the offense.

Hopefully he knows how to play RF…

9 minutes ago, PolishPrince34 said:

First thing I would do this offseason is to tell Eloy to change his batting stance. It's ridiculous that hasn't been changed or he's too stubborn. The stance could be a major reason why he's not hitting for as much power and to all the muscle/leg injuries running down to first base. 

I wonder if his golf stance is like his batting stance.

26 minutes ago, PolishPrince34 said:

First thing I would do this offseason is to tell Eloy to change his batting stance. It's ridiculous that hasn't been changed or he's too stubborn. The stance could be a major reason why he's not hitting for as much power and to all the muscle/leg injuries running down to first base. 

Eloy, hitting is not about muscle. It's simple physics. Calculate the velocity, v, in relation to the trajectory, t, in which g, gravity, of course remains a constant.  It's not complicated.

On 11/11/2023 at 11:17 PM, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

And I said that myself at the time since I probably made 20 posts mentioning Outman's name once all the geniuses started telling me I was crazy to think he was better than the Dodgers ranked position player prospects.

But no matter how many posts I made explaining why he was a great fit the geniuses who don't want to hear about it now were all saying we had to sign veteran free agents and I'd hear stuff about how I was basing it on his 16 PA in 2022 and Outman sucks. Sure they were in no position to trade him because the Dodgers actually don't mind trying to fit some young players into a championship caliber roster once in a while but the point remains that now they will have to be blown away even more to trade him. The point of scouting is to identify guys before they start performing at a high level in the majors.

I'd like to see another person here find an unranked LH rookie CF with speed power and plays above average defense who comes in 3rd in ROY, puts up a 4.4 fWAR and is a positive in baserunning, defense and offense and a 12% BB rate to get to that 4.4 fWAR.  I'd also like to acknowledge that not all people on this board were meatballs , some actually thought I made  sense.

Even Stone Garrett, the rare RH OF I suggested had a better year than Benintendi even though he started the year in the minors then broke his leg when his spikes got caught in OF padding trying to rob a HR. Dave Martinez his Manager on the Nats had nothing but praise for him.

"His at-bats have been good, but he's been playing defense really well," Martinez said. "It stinks for us because he is one of our every-day players out there who is having a really good year."

Martinez also praised Garrett as a clubhouse leader and fan favorite.

"He means a lot to us," Martinez said. "He just has that presence about himself. Very soft-spoken, but he's one of the guys who liked to have fun, keep everyone loose. A great teammate."

Garrrett finished with 1.2 fWar in 88 games and an OPS of .801,115wRC+

But I suppose I had to know if he was available because he was such a stud that the D'backs released him and the Nats picked him up.

But hey welcome back to 2015 because Getz has to attempt to make the Sox competitive now and welcome to the same world Hahn had to live in of signing middling aging FA RH position players who suddenly forget how to play  and get old and injured once they come to the Sox.

Maybe Getz can even find another Tatis, Jr. type player to trade !

Now write up a thesis about how you were the first person to start the Yermin bandwagon and were actively posting here about how absolutely wrong websites like FutureSox, Pipeline, etc. were for not having him ranked highly.

14 minutes ago, Quin said:

Now write up a thesis about how you were the first person to start the Yermin bandwagon and were actively posting here about how absolutely wrong websites like FutureSox, Pipeline, etc. were for not having him ranked highly.

Nick Williams as well lol

Edit: Although, I admit, I would have rather seen like 3 weeks of Nick Williams if it meant getting the extra year of control of Vaughn.

Edited by Bob Sacamano
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Edit: Although, I admit, I would have rather seen like 3 weeks of Nick Williams if it meant getting the extra year of control of Vaughn.

I mean, I've stanned my fair share of flops.

Unfortunately I think my sole "Am I the only person who thinks this person will have an MLB career?" pick is Leury Garcia. Which was a fine pick until TLR.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Quin said:

Mercedes was just a Sox minor leaguer I saw while perusing stats that stood out. I knew nothing about him . My initial inquiries were just to ask if the Future Sox people knew anything about him.

Outman I did quite a bit of research on.

20 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Most fan reactions are over reactions and totally meatball . It's funny how mentioning playing a real OF the LH guy on the bench who is there to like ,you know, play once in a while in April, over the 1B playing OFer golden haired struggling mightily draft pick who was in over his head just to give him some breathing room is still remembered as some kind of outlandish suggestion. OMG he actually suggested playing a bench player for a few games over the best hitting college player in the last 20 years who will be a superstar but is currently looking like a stiff. Mercy what a maroon !

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Most fan reactions are over reactions and totally meatball . It's funny how mentioning playing a real OF the LH guy on the bench who is there to like ,you know, play once in a while in April, over the 1B playing OFer golden haired struggling mightily draft pick who was in over his head just to give him some breathing room is still remembered as some kind of outlandish suggestion. OMG he actually suggested playing a bench player for a few games over the best hitting college player in the last 20 years who will be a superstar but is currently looking like a stiff. Mercy what a maroon !

Vaughn still has hair?

13. Shota Imanaga (30)
7-5, 159 IP, 2.66 ERA, 1.01 WHIP (Japan Central League/Japan Eastern League)

14. Kenta Maeda (35)
6-8, 104.1 IP, 4.23 ERA, 1.17 WHIP

17. Yariel Rodriguez (27)
6-2, 54.2 IP, 1.15 ERA, 0.92 WHIP (2022 stats, Japan Central League; didn't pitch in 2023 to prepare for MLB free agency)

Rumors are circulating that, once Rodriguez applies for MLB Free Agency, his asking price will be anywhere between $50 to $70 million over five-plus years, which makes sense given he’s managed by Edgar Mercedes, who’s managed players like Luis Robert, Jr., and Yoenis Cespedes.

23. Luis Severino (30)
4-8, 89.1 IP, 6.65 ERA, 1.65 WHIP

24. Tyler Mahle (29)
1-2, 25.2 IP, 3.16 ERA, 1.05 WHIP

25. Jack Flaherty (28)
8-9, 144.1 IP, 4.99 ERA, 1.58 WHIP

26. Michael Lorenzen (32)
9-9, 153 IP, 4.18 ERA, 1.21 WHIP

27. Yuki Matsui (28)
39 saves, 57.1 IP, 1.57 ERA, 0.89 WHIP (Japan Pacific League)

28. Hyun-Jin Ryu (37)
3-3, 52 IP, 3.46 ERA, 1.29 WHIP

29. James Paxton (35)
7-5, 96 IP, 4.50 ERA, 1.31 WHIP

30. Frankie Montas (31)
1-0, 1.1 IP, 0.00 ERA, 2.25 WHIP

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/mlb/2024-mlb-free-agent-rankings-top-30-pitchers

Edited by caulfield12

“His (Lynn’s) salary now represents a baseline from which the many other pitchers relevant to the Mets -- Luis Severino, Kyle Gibson, Sean Manaea, Michael Wacha /Seth Lugo, take your pick -- can negotiate.

Each player carries a different set of variables. Severino has a higher upside than Lynn but is significantly less reliable. Brandon Woodruff would need a two-year deal while rehabbing from shoulder surgery.”

yahoo sports

The Yankees and San Francisco Giants are among teams showing interest in Korean outfielder Jung-Hoo Lee leading up to his posting later this winter, according to MLB Network’s Jon Morosi.

The 25-year-old, who grew up idolizing Ichiro Suzuki, has been a star over the past few seasons in the KBO. Lee's a former Rookie of the Year, MVP, and a five-time Gold Glove award winner.

Though he doesn't offer too much in the power department, his bat-to-ball skills are elite. The sweet-swinging lefty is a career .340 hitter and has been able to get on-base at a stellar .407 clip. He also batted .429 with two doubles and five RBI across four games as part of Team Korea during the 2023 World Baseball Classic.

Lee underwent season-ending ankle surgery in July, but according to Morosi he is expected to be full-go for the beginning of the next season.

yahoo sports

Edited by caulfield12

Top Ten trade candidates including Soto, Cease, Robert, Bieber, Burnes, Trout, etc.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/should-they-stay-or-should-they-go-the-cases-for-and-against-trading-mlbs-top-10-candidates-to-be-moved-233037085.html

After two demoralizing, disastrous seasons in a row, the White Sox have undergone a partial regime change, elevating Chris Getz to general manager. This is the portrait of an organization that needs a full rebuild. The major-league team went 61-101 in 2023, and their minor-league affiliates simultaneously racked up the worst combined record in baseball. Cease, two months shy of his 28th birthday and two years from free agency, was the AL Cy Young runner-up in 2022 and possesses the sort of big-time fastball-slider arsenal teams will bet big on.

The case to keep him: The only argument for the White Sox keeping an ace to front a losing team would be the idea that right now they’d be selling relatively low. Cease’s 4.58 ERA wasn’t pretty last season, though he made 33 starts, and several metrics that typically have more to do with teammates and luck (a high BABIP, a low percentage of runners left on base) could convince potential suitors to pony up anyway.

On 11/21/2023 at 4:10 AM, caulfield12 said:

“His (Lynn’s) salary now represents a baseline from which the many other pitchers relevant to the Mets -- Luis Severino, Kyle Gibson, Sean Manaea, Michael Wacha /Seth Lugo, take your pick -- can negotiate.

Each player carries a different set of variables. Severino has a higher upside than Lynn but is significantly less reliable. Brandon Woodruff would need a two-year deal while rehabbing from shoulder surgery.”

yahoo sports

The Yankees and San Francisco Giants are among teams showing interest in Korean outfielder Jung-Hoo Lee leading up to his posting later this winter, according to MLB Network’s Jon Morosi.

The 25-year-old, who grew up idolizing Ichiro Suzuki, has been a star over the past few seasons in the KBO. Lee's a former Rookie of the Year, MVP, and a five-time Gold Glove award winner.

Though he doesn't offer too much in the power department, his bat-to-ball skills are elite. The sweet-swinging lefty is a career .340 hitter and has been able to get on-base at a stellar .407 clip. He also batted .429 with two doubles and five RBI across four games as part of Team Korea during the 2023 World Baseball Classic.

Lee underwent season-ending ankle surgery in July, but according to Morosi he is expected to be full-go for the beginning of the next season.

yahoo sports

Somebody tell this guy we had Man Soo-Lee as a cult hero, and Tadahito Iguchi if he liked NPB players too.