Garfien podcast focusing on TA...

Lip Man 1

I was thinking pick up the option and try to trade him or hope for a bounce back and trade him next deadline, but is that worth the $9 or 10 million gamble? I’d say see if anyone will give you anything for him before the option is exercised, if no, just let him go. If he’s good next year he will be gone anyway, and you don’t want to lock in long term to a guy who is injured every year, can’t run balls out, is over 30, and has off the field drama anyway. I used to love this guy. He has disappointed me in almost every way.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I was thinking pick up the option and try to trade him or hope for a bounce back and trade him next deadline, but is that worth the $9 or 10 million gamble? I’d say see if anyone will give you anything for him before the option is exercised, if no, just let him go. If he’s good next year he will be gone anyway, and you don’t want to lock in long term to a guy who is injured every year, can’t run balls out, is over 30, and has off the field drama anyway. I used to love this guy. He has disappointed me in almost every way.

I don’t think they’ll decline the option but I wouldn’t be surprised if they did either.

On 10/5/2023 at 11:32 AM, bmags said:

so I know Whit Merrifield will be our 2b next year but still struggling with who will be SS.

On 10/5/2023 at 11:37 AM, Bob Sacamano said:

Merrifield at second, Salvador Perez behind the plate, Moustakas as backup 1B/3B. What other former Royals are out there?

On 10/5/2023 at 12:48 PM, Tnetennba said:

If the Sox sign Whit I’m done. Not that wouldn’t already be, but bridge too far. 

On 10/5/2023 at 12:49 PM, Tnetennba said:

Nicky Lopez incoming…

Thought of another: Adalberto Mondesi.

Edited by Bob Sacamano
  • TLR 1

32 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I don’t think they’ll decline the option but I wouldn’t be surprised if they did either.

With as many times Pedro and even Getz have mentioned how TA should be back to normal production next season, they have painted themselves into a cornet. A contract dump for a lottery ticket or declining shows they were lying.

3 hours ago, ron883 said:

Just pick up the option and trade him when Colson is ready.

I go back and forth on the option. There's probably a half dozen Elvis Andruses out there who could be had on a $4 million deal, or 2/$7, and would OPS .100 points higher than TA7. I doubt Tim Anderson's a -2.0 bWAR going forward. He put up 4.7 bWAR just 2 years ago. If he's even an average major leaguer next year, that has a lot of value. 

They're either going to tear it down, or pretend to compete. If they're pretending (which is all they've talked about), then they pick up the option on TA. If they're rebuilding, I don't know why they'd even hang onto Cease or Eloy. 

I'm not inclined to make negative assumptions about Tim in the clubhouse so I will just think about it in baseball terms. Besides the hurt feelings, which is maybe too much, what is to stop the Sox from declining the option and then pursuing a cheaper one year deal?

30 minutes ago, Jake said:

I'm not inclined to make negative assumptions about Tim in the clubhouse so I will just think about it in baseball terms. Besides the hurt feelings, which is maybe too much, what is to stop the Sox from declining the option and then pursuing a cheaper one year deal?

Nothing other than the risk of having no starting SS on the roster if Anderson gets a better offer somewhere else (or frankly, if he wants to leave and is willing to take less money  to do so - and for a reminder this has happened to a White Sox player recently). This could lead them to having to sign a different SS, perhaps one they can't necessarily say "allows them to compete next year".

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Nothing other than the risk of having no starting SS on the roster if Anderson gets a better offer somewhere else (or frankly, if he wants to leave and is willing to take less money  to do so - and for a reminder this has happened to a White Sox player recently). This could lead them to having to sign a different SS, perhaps one they can't necessarily say "allows them to compete next year".

While I'm cautiously optimistic about the moves to bring outside talent to the farm system though its yet to truly happen...

I kinda wouldn't be surprised if what happens is we decide not to pick up TA's option, and trade for Javier Baez/Salvador Perez and that's your culture shift.

5 minutes ago, bmags said:

While I'm cautiously optimistic about the moves to bring outside talent to the farm system though its yet to truly happen...

I kinda wouldn't be surprised if what happens is we decide not to pick up TA's option, and trade for Javier Baez/Salvador Perez and that's your culture shift.

Somewhat on topic - wow, Detroit has exactly 0 players under contract for next year. They have 2 player options, Baez and Rodriguez, and Baez is the only one who will probably pick it up. They only have a handful of arb-eligible guys, it looks like they have a starting payroll of $50 million-ish including Baez and all of their arb guys (and I'm not sure they will keep Meadows). They had a $125 million payroll last year. They have a ton to spend even if they hold Baez. 

28 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Somewhat on topic - wow, Detroit has exactly 0 players under contract for next year. They have 2 player options, Baez and Rodriguez, and Baez is the only one who will probably pick it up. They only have a handful of arb-eligible guys, it looks like they have a starting payroll of $50 million-ish including Baez and all of their arb guys (and I'm not sure they will keep Meadows). They had a $125 million payroll last year. They have a ton to spend even if they hold Baez. 

Baez was pretty bad last season, no way he opts out.

On 10/8/2023 at 11:19 AM, Bob Sacamano said:

Thought of another: Adalberto Mondesi.

I actually like Mondesi if he ever played. Seems like the exact profile you want at SS unless you have a star there. Maybe that’s Montgomery but if you’re going to have guys in the lineup that can’t hit, at least they should be plus defenders at SS or CF. 

1 minute ago, nrockway said:

I actually like Mondesi if he ever played. Seems like the exact profile you want at SS unless you have a star there. Maybe that’s Montgomery but if you’re going to have guys in the lineup that can’t hit, at least they should be plus defenders at SS or CF. 

Yeah looks like he was injured all year and didn’t play at all.

3 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

The second place Tigers and Manager A. J. Hinch is a much more attractive landing spot for veteran Free Agents looking to play on a competitive team this offseason than coming here.

I don't want any significant contracts added until they have a dozen plus solid players and they are looking to add the final touches. Hopefully there will be new ownership and FO to make quality decisions. Would be nice to shed Benintendi so a new regime has a clean slate when they take over.