Sox Call 3:00PM Press Conference

Clarkdog

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Steff,

Curious ... if someone other than a mod had brought up those quotes you made, what say you then?

I mean, could the sources have been THAT wrong to have you state with steadfast certainty that Guillen wouldn't get the job?

Not trying to stir up s*** here, just wondering whether the issue is a moderator bringing up the quotes vs. just a regular poster.

I would have said "hey dips***.. I was wrong" :P

Was the info that wrong..? I'll never know. As of this morning they were still in Cito mode. Their information came from Buddy Bell. Pretty reliable wouldn't you think?

BTW, anyone know who these quotes are from:

Posted: Oct 24 2003, 10:32 AM

Personal ties, . If people only knew. The interview is simply to say it was done. Ozzie has as much of a chance at being the manager as my grama does. 

Posted: Oct 23 2003, 08:34 AM

BTW.. Ozzie will not be the manager.

Shows what some people around here know... :rolleyes:

Hey Abo, tou are a mod and you are calling the others like this is pathetic. ;) :)

I was being sincere Steff.

If you knew me you'd know I wasn't trying to rip.

I don't doubt financial considerations had a role in Guillen getting hired, financial considerations are a factor in any acquisition ... player, manager, whomever.

The statement made was that Guillen had as much chance of getting the job as your grandma ... well, the fact that finances always play a role on the south side was plain to you, me, and countless others well before this managerial search began. No way would I have counted out a "less expensive" candidate with ties to Reinsdorf in such definitive fashion. You follow the team as closely, or more closely, than I do and we are both season ticket holders. I wouldn't have made a statement like that only because the dynamics of the Sox organization are fairly easy to predict.

It's not only finances of paying Guillen less, it's finances because I don't doubt Sox brass thinks this hiring creates a positive buzz = more tickets sold.

I do not think, though, finances were the only consideration. I was an advocate of a Gaston/Guillen partnership ... Gaston as mgr. and Guillen as 3B coach, manager in training. I hope Guillen succeeds and has strong coaching surrounding him.

As for the quotes being brought up before you had a chance to say your info was wrong ... hey, it's a message board, that's how it goes I guess.

To repeat though Steff, I was not trying to rip.

::shrugs::

Steff,

Dont take it to personally, everyone loves to tell other people when they are wrong.

I may not post much, but I have always found your posts to be insightful, and in most cases on the money.

SB

I have no problem what-so-ever with being called out.

Call ME out. Don't behave like a 2 year old and play the "name that quote" game.

However.. I expected it.

I was being sincere Steff.

If you knew me you'd know I wasn't trying to rip.

I don't doubt financial considerations had a role in Guillen getting hired, financial considerations are a factor in any acquisition ... player, manager, whomever.

The statement made was that Guillen had as much chance of getting the job as your grandma ... well, the fact that finances always play a role on the south side was plain to you, me, and countless others well before this managerial search began.  No way would I have counted out a "less expensive" candidate with ties to Reinsdorf in such definitive fashion.  You follow the team as closely, or more closely, than I do and we are both season ticket holders.  I wouldn't have made a statement like that only because the dynamics of the Sox organization are fairly easy to predict.

It's not only finances of paying Guillen less, it's finances because I don't doubt Sox brass thinks this hiring creates a positive buzz = more tickets sold.

I do not think, though, finances were the only consideration.  I was an advocate of a Gaston/Guillen partnership ... Gaston as mgr. and Guillen as 3B coach, manager in training. I hope Guillen succeeds and has strong coaching surrounding him.

As for the quotes being brought up before you had a chance to say your info was wrong ... hey, it's a message board, that's how it goes I guess.

To repeat though Steff, I was not trying to rip.

:o

I assumed you were being sincere. I'm sorry if my reply came back a bit raw . I was being a bit off the cuff.

I didn't take your post at all as a rip.

IMO, and the opinion of at least 1 member of the media, this came way more down to $$ than anything else. Ozzie will work for much, much less than Cito. He wanted the title. They gave it to him.

Information coming from Buddy Bell?

I wouldn't call that totally reliable or unbiased, for that matter.

Two reasons:

1). Bell was a candidate and certainly wouldn't be told everything.

2). Since Bell was a candidate, his remarks were possibly biased.

Not saying Bell is dishonest, not at all. I'm sure he isn't. But statements from a candidate for a job about another candidate for the same job, well, big grain of salt goes with that.

Two reasons:

1).  Bell was a candidate and certainly wouldn't be told everything.

2).  Since Bell was a candidate, his remarks were possibly biased.

Not saying Bell is dishonest, not at all.  I'm sure he isn't.  But  statements from a candidate for a job about another candidate for the same job, well, big grain of salt goes with that.

Bell's comments were made after he pulled himself out of the running.

Two reasons:

Not saying Bell is dishonest, not at all.  I'm sure he isn't.  But  statements from a candidate for a job about another candidate for the same job, well, big grain of salt goes with that.

Bell obviously still wants to manage somewhere, otherwise he wouldn't have interviewed. Any statement he would've made though was very likely based on partial information ... his statements were made before Guillen came in for the 2nd interview.

It's possible Guillen came in and bowled over both KW and JR.

It'll be interesting to see how they spin this whole thing.

We all still love you Steff, even if Aboz has to be an ass for no reason.  I think simply saying you were wrong would have sent a better message and he would have come off as less of an ass.  Just my 2 cents.

How did his comments make him look like an ass? Aboiz was obviously joking around with the predictions that Steff made.

Pretty humorous to call someone an asshole who you don't even know, I'd say. Especially some members who I've always been friendly to over my tenure on this board and have never had a negative word about.

Is this the same individual who has time and time again posted in threads where I've voiced opinions and tried to bring them down or "roll her eyes" at them?

Since those comments that were made about Guillen seemed to be so "set in stone," I don't see the problem with posting them.

Anyhow, say what you'd like and think what you'd like. I'm not going to throw insults back and forth. I wasn't malicious about anything in my comments, I just pointed out what was pretty much common fact. That's all from here. Sorry if people are overly sensitive.

Two reasons:

Bell obviously still wants to manage somewhere, otherwise he wouldn't have interviewed. Any statement he would've made though was very likely based on partial information ... his statements were made before Guillen came in for the 2nd interview.

It's possible Guillen came in and bowled over both KW and JR.

It'll be interesting to see how they spin this whole thing.

Bell made the decision not to want to be in strong consideration for the Sox job the same day he interviewed from what I was told. And yes, his comments were made before Friday - last Thursday to be exact.