Sandberg was Screwed

Chisoxfn

I know he was a Cub and all, but he deserved to be a first ballot hall of famer.

First off, he was the best 2nd baseman in his era, made like 10 straight all star games and won like 9 straight gold gloves. He is the all time leader in homers for second baseman and was a very complete player.

How he didn't get voted in his ridiculous.

Jas...this topic should be "Kaat was screwed" not "Sandberg was screwed"....Kaat was a hell of a pitcher in his younger days and he won the gold glove like 14 straight times, didn't he? He'll get voted in by the veteran's committee. It's just a damn shame that he wasn't voted in earlier.

Speaking of former Twins who should have been voted in....where the hell is the love for Bert Blyleven? He should be voted in. That is also a damn shame.

Eddie Murray was a lock. Gary Carter was turned away 6 times before so he was due. Sandburg wasn't that good to be a first ballot HoF'er..... IMO. He'll get in eventually.

I think Sandberg deserved to be in over Gary Carter though. Also, I will look up Jim Kaat's stats, but from what I've heard about the guy ya, he deserved to be in.

I didn't see him play though.

If Ryno would have had "NY" on his hat, instead of "C", he would have been voted in.

Jim Kaat was one helluva pitcher. When he was pitching for the Twinkies back in the 60's, man was he tough. He was still a very good pitcher for the Sox in the mid 70's. Hell, if Don Sutton and Don Drysdale belong in the hall, Kitty, and for that matter, Blyleven, deserve to belong also. Oh, the thing that I said about "NY" also applies to "LA". :angry:

Here's what I remember about Sandberg. When he was close to setting a fielding record (consecutive errorless games), he would start the game and then be removed before a pitch was thrown. This went on for a week or two. Naturally, he set the record.

Then, it was impossible for him to make an error at home. I remember one game in which he took a relay in short right and threw toward home. He overthrew, and the ball went into the seats, baserunners advancing according to the rule. Still no error on el Ryno. His fielding stats are meaningless. He cheated the game. End of story. Cub fans, of course, didn't know the difference.

Those types of home calls abound in baseball. DiMaggio's 56 game hitting streak was acccomplished with gift calls along the way, for example. It happens all the time.

I like nothing cubs at all, but I think Sandberg deserves in. So do Kaat and Byleven and Gossage.

Those types of home calls abound in baseball.  DiMaggio's 56 game hitting streak was acccomplished with gift calls along the way, for example.  It happens all the time.

I like nothing cubs at all, but I think Sandberg deserves in.  So do Kaat and Byleven and Gossage.

I can't believe how hard it is for some of the games great closers to make it into the game.

In the past closers were tough guys that had to really go out and pitch. They didn't pitch 50 innings, they'd pitch 100 or more and were really great.

It looks like its going to be a while before any of them get in too.

When Pete Rose is dead, then, and only then, will I agree that he has served his lifetime ban.

He deserves to be banned from playing or working in the game.

You cant take the hall of fame away. They are the elite. And there is nothing that he can do that can take his numbers away.

If he should be out of the hall just becuase he's a stupid asshole , why wasnt OJ kicked out of the hall ?

If you don't let them in, you don't have the problem with kicking them out. What happens after induction, you are stuck with. The only control is before.

Who was that Heisman Trophy winner, the name escapes me, who turned out to be a criminal. You can't take it away after. So, when you can, don;t give it to him.

Now Rose has to have lots of space in the actual Hall, ikn displays, his bat he used to break the record, etc. I am sure he is represented within thr Hall. He kust can't be in the Hall of Fame. So his talents and skills and contributions are recognised and as far as I am concerned, the ban is approproate - and the dude with legal counsel signed the agreement to ban him to keep MLB's documentation from being made public. A man who signs an agreement has given his word. And now he wants to break his word. I don't care so much for that on top of everything else.

Why don't you and I have a fun conversation about this - which will settle nothing, just present various perspectives, on the radio show sometime?

Put me in the unpopular opinion of no hall for Pete Rose and (yes Sox fans) Joe Jackson. I've given my reason before and HSC and others countered albeit very well educatedly but it is more of a difference of philosopy in most cases I believe.