Getz speaks at GM meetings...

Lip Man 1

‘‘I don’t like our team,’’ Getz said at the general managers meetings. ‘‘When I say I don’t like our team, we’ve got pieces that are talented and attractive and can be part of a winning club, but obviously we haven’t gone out there and performed.

cover1.jpg

• Fire 1

It’s refreshing that he knows the problems instead of feeding us a bunch of BS, letting TA go was a good start but there is so much more to do. I agree there are no untouchables and if it improves the club where they can pick up 2 or 3 guys who can make the team better then I’m OK with trading Robert. 

• Like 1

Definitely a breath of fresh air compared to Hahn's ramblings.  I liked his comments about Moncada, essentially calling him Leury.  He may be moved before the season starts, but he's owed so much money I expect him to be here for 24.

Now, let's see if Getz can back up his words with actions.  The next couple months could be pretty interesting...maybe not fulfilling, but at least interesting.

1 hour ago, GreatScott82 said:

Finally some honesty from the front office. I have no problem with what he said and hope has a productive offseason attempting to clean this mess up. 

While I joked with the Shaq meme, Rick Hahn once said we were mired in mediocrity and needed to hit home runs.

Getz has to produce results or this is just fluff. And he has to do it on an accelerated timeline, because he was gifted a GM job on the premise that he doesn't need time to turn things around.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, hogan873 said:

Definitely a breath of fresh air compared to Hahn's ramblings.  I liked his comments about Moncada, essentially calling him Leury.  He may be moved before the season starts, but he's owed so much money I expect him to be here for 24.

Now, let's see if Getz can back up his words with actions.  The next couple months could be pretty interesting...maybe not fulfilling, but at least interesting.

The problem with moving Moncada around is he is a legitimately good 3B.  I am all for moving him around occasionally this season because he is extremely unlikely to be here in 2025 so what the heck may as well glean whatever value you can, especially if Ramos pushes his way onto the roster in 2024.  Bu short of that, I don't see that many scenerios where playing Moncada at 2B or RF makes the team better than just leaving him at 3B. 

• Like 1

While some part of this defense stuff you could point to, as Getz, and say "Not my fault we drafted a bunch of first baseman, screwed up FA, and needed their bats so bad we had to play them in the outfield and everywhere else",

But the other part of this is the same trick we saw with Hahn, where to fix defense it was always getting a better defensive player as if it is purely an innate skill. So if we want to improve on defense at SS, bring in Paul DeJong and ship out Anderson. But Paul DeJong was an unlikely shortstop due to his height, yet came up thru an org that is purely amazing at teaching defense. 

Had Tim Anderson been a cardinal...I have beliefs that he'd be a much better defender today.

So it is unknown why he could not bring up prospects like Sosa and Gonzalez and Madrigal and have us be like "wow they are very good at defense" and instead say "wow they are terrible but maybe they can hit". He has coaches that are set to help with this...but why was it so bad under Getz. 

Big part of hahns failure is he could not pay for the all around great players, and swapped out one dimensional players for a different dimension. WHile other smaller market teams were better at just helping improve them to be more multi-dimensional.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

The problem with moving Moncada around is he is a legitimately good 3B.  I am all for moving him around occasionally this season because he is extremely unlikely to be here in 2025 so what the heck may as well glean whatever value you can, especially if Ramos pushes his way onto the roster in 2024.  Bu short of that, I don't see that many scenerios where playing Moncada at 2B or RF makes the team better than just leaving him at 3B. 

Yeah, I think you just keep him and hope to either trade him or release (trade/release depending on how he’s playing) him mid-season if Ramos is playing well.

But if they did something shocking like eating half his salary and dumping him this off-season, I wouldn’t be mad either.

2 hours ago, A-Train to 35th said:

I was happy Tony looked healthy at his farewell press conference. While it was initially splendid Tony got revenge via his orchestrated coup d’etat of Hahn and Kenny, his continued involvement beyond this season is an overall net negative than if the status quo was preserved.

Tony is an even more destructive force given the fact Jerry respects Tony whereas Jerry views Hahn as his toady b****. Getz will get all the blame when Tony fucks up, so works out for Tony as he won’t take the fall like he did after nuking the Arizona franchise as HOF Baseball Person Team President.

5 hours ago, The Mighty Mite said:

It’s refreshing that he knows the problems instead of feeding us a bunch of BS, letting TA go was a good start but there is so much more to do. I agree there are no untouchables and if it improves the club where they can pick up 2 or 3 guys who can make the team better then I’m OK with trading Robert. 

Trading Luis  Robert Jr would be the greatest PR disaster the team has had since the White Flag trade.

• Like 2
  • TLR 1

3 hours ago, hogan873 said:

Moncada will have a good year. It's a contract year. Keep him and trade him at the deadline.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Moncada will have a good year. It's a contract year. Keep him and trade him at the deadline.

I tend to agree.  If you're going to pay the man, may as well just let him play 3B.  If the focus is improving the defense, paying Yoan to play somewhere else seems kinda silly.  

Just now, Donny Lucy's Avocado Farm said:

Losing 100 games two seasons in a row is worse. 

The biggest disaster would be getting a bunch of prospects that busted or underperformed ala the Sale trade for the most part....Moncada with two very good seasons and another decent one not close to equaling peak Sale on a quite affordable deal to that time.