Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

9 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

To chain off Bmags, here's the BA Cowser scouting report. He's 4th behind Holliday, Basallo, Mayo.

Re: grades on Cowser.... There's like 4-5 good tools there and a LHH. If he gets to that 55 power even as a avg CF that would be great, or above avg RF it's more than fine. That's why Getz is enamored with him. 

If he is going to come off Cowser and go to Hjerstad he's going to want Corby++  also.

3 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Gunnar is at short right? Although I guess he has to move to 3B or 2B full time once Holliday is up.

He actually started 4 more games at 3B than SS in 2023. His games played is split pretty evenly so far in the bigs.

Edited by Tnetennba

1 minute ago, Tnetennba said:

He actually started 4 more games at 3B than SS in 2023. His games played is split pretty evening so far in the bigs.

Who started most, Mateo? I know he started off hot and really cratered but doubt they will count on him for anything next year other than a bench role.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

Who started most, Mateo? I know he started off hot and really cratered but doubt they will count on him for anything next year other than a bench role.

Mateo started 110 at SS in 2023 and 149 in 2022, with a few starts in CF. He's not much of a threat with the bat, so his hold on SS is likely tenuous at best.

1 minute ago, Tnetennba said:

Mateo started 110 at SS in 2023 and 149 in 2022, with a few starts in CF. He's not much of a threat with the bat, so his hold on SS is likely tenuous at best.

Yeah I was just saying, there is room for a couple more of the top prospects, if they’re not moved.

Try to grab Kjerstad, Norby, and then other pieces.

Yeah I was just saying, there is room for a couple more of the top prospects, if they’re not moved.

Try to grab Kjerstad, Norby, and then other pieces.

Yeah, Gunnar is the only recent graduate that has a lock on an infield position, be it SS or 3B. Mateo, Ramón Urías, and Adam Frazier aren't blocking any of their stud prospects.

They shouldn't trade him until all the big names have signed... unless Getz thinks the asking prices for the top FA SPs will come down considerably before they ultimately sign.  And that would be a stretch.  

Why Getz is seemingly pushing the issue now is relatively puzzling.  If it is as simple as he'd like to know the return so he can make moves in the market that is one reason you don't do this half ass rebuild while maybe kinda sorta trying to win the Central.

Edited by GREEDY
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, GREEDY said:

They shouldn't trade him until all the big names have signed... unless Getz thinks the asking prices for the top FA SPs will come down considerably before they ultimately sign.  And that would be a stretch.  

Why Getz is seemingly pushing the issue now is relatively puzzling.  If it is as simple as he'd like to know the return so he can make moves in the market that is one reason you don't do this half ass rebuild while maybe kinda sorta trying to win the Central.

He isn't necessarily pushing the issue.

We've asked for high prices, if someone meets them upfront fine, but if people are going to resist, we are gonna wait it out. Elias apparently turned down our high price so Getz is leaking to his Michigan buddy that something could be imminent in order to get other people to get serious. 

And that fits with what NBB said too...they want a massive haul, and if it doesn't come fast they will wait for it.

8 minutes ago, Rey21 said:

I think if Kjerstad, Norby, one other small piece were the ask it may be done already, I’d love to think Sox are pushing for Mayo to be in the deal also as opposed to Norby. 

I agree.  Kjerstad and Norby and the deal would be done I'd think.  I think we want a better second piece (Ortiz/Mayo).  I do like Norby a lot though

Edited by Squirmin' for Yermin

10 minutes ago, Rey21 said:

I think if Kjerstad, Norby, one other small piece were the ask it may be done already, I’d love to think Sox are pushing for Mayo to be in the deal also as opposed to Norby. 

I am not sure. I think Orioles could also probably look around and see like us, that the packages other teams could offer are not great. Everyone here balking at LAD/Cincy/Cardinals prospect packages and being like "yes we'll take yours baltimore"

34 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

He isn't necessarily pushing the issue.

We've asked for high prices, if someone meets them upfront fine, but if people are going to resist, we are gonna wait it out. Elias apparently turned down our high price so Getz is leaking to his Michigan buddy that something could be imminent in order to get other people to get serious. 

And that fits with what NBB said too...they want a massive haul, and if it doesn't come fast they will wait for it.

?

12 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

?

You know what I meant. 

If they can get their massive haul now you do it. From Rosenthals report, LAD is actually being aggressive but maybe BAL is not. 

We may prefer BAL as a trading partner, but if they already got a real good deal on the table from LAD they may be trying to pressure BAL to step up to see if they can beat it. 

Either way, I don't think Getz is "rushing things" in the sense that he will accept a mediocre offer now. If there's a deal that goes down now, it's likely to be a good one and the appearance of being close to accepting LAD may get BAL to move.

From the actual Athletic article.

New White Sox general manager Chris Getz is telling clubs he likely will wait to move on right-hander Dylan Cease until after the top free-agent starting pitchers sign, according to major-league sources briefed on the discussions.

Getz could act sooner if gets an offer to his liking, perhaps from a team such as the Orioles or Reds, who are expected to refrain from the top of the free-agent market. But the advantage of waiting is obvious: The urgency of certain teams only will increase if they miss out on Yamamoto, Blake Snell and Co. Some clubs face such an acute shortage, they might be in on Cease even if they sign a top free agent.

The Dodgers, for example, need multiple starters. The Cardinals, sources say, remain interested in Cease even after signing Sonny Gray, Kyle Gibson and Lance Lynn. It would be uncharacteristic of the Reds and Orioles to jump the market, and their appetite for Cease is unlikely to diminish if the White Sox wait.

Cease, entering his age-28 season, is under club control for two more years, one more than fellow trade candidates Corbin Burnes, Tyler Glasnow and Shane Bieber. His combined salary in arbitration over the next two seasons likely will be in the $25 million range. Glasnow, entering his age-30 season, will earn $25 million alone in 2024.

Edited by DirtySox
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Greek-konerko said:

IDK why Getz should make a deal now and not after the Japanese sp signs, why  the rush teams that will.swing and miss will overpay then 

Because I think they’re very separate markets.  And hell, the Dodgers need multiple SPs and Cease’s contract would slot in nicely if they go out to fill one of those spots with premium FA and/or Ohtani.

2 hours ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

Right, sometimes there are teams that want to make a move before someone else sets the market for them. Others may see these initial deals for pitchers (Severino 1/$13M, Reynaldo 3/$39M) and realize they're going to be priced out and need to get one of the best pitchers on the trade market.

I think teams looking to add multiple starters, including at least one of the top FA's, might also look at getting Cease now as a selling point to those FA's.  "We're serious about winning.  We already went and got Cease, and with you and him and [fill in names], we're going to have one of the best rotations in the league."

1 minute ago, PorkChopExpress said:

I think teams looking to add multiple starters, including at least one of the top FA's, might also look at getting Cease now as a selling point to those FA's.  "We're serious about winning.  We already went and got Cease, and with you and him and [fill in names], we're going to have one of the best rotations in the league."

That's a good thought too, I like that.