Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

33 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Unfortunately not.  This just isn’t the pitching market we thought it was.  With the Braves backing out now, I just don’t see who else would have interest at a price that makes sense for us.  The Angels are the only team who are willing to pay up for SP and we already took all their prospects in the Giolito trade.  I guess we’ll have to hold and hope for a better market at the trade deadline.

Didn’t many have this exact same thought process at the trade deadline? “Just wait until the offseason when there’s more teams looking for pitching.” Lets not act like we’re going to enter the season with Cease. We cannot take the risk, and I’m sure every team knows it

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m honestly just fucking around and trying to see what it’s like to be Balta for 30 minutes.  I’m not worried in the slightest yet and a Braves beat writer likely leaking org fed info doesn’t change that for me.  I agree we may not see a trade during the Winter Meetings, but at some point Cease will be the best pitcher on the market and the offers will come.  Just got to wait it a bit longer.

You sounded like the return of Parkman. It was uncanny.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • TLR 1

1 hour ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Elias is such a scaredy cat. Guy is afraid to trade any prospects even though they are all blocked and the big league team needs starting pitching. Hope that team never wins anything.

I think Elias realizes their path to remain in contention for a long time lies in the prospects coming into the lineup as the other guys become too expensive for them, much in the same Tampa Bay has done it.

Sooner or later, if they want to go that route , Mullins, Santander and others have to be traded for their pitching needs or a combination of the too expensive to keep with a prospect in order to get a pitcher who could step in to the top of the rotation.

If the Sox were willing to take ,let's say Santander, it would be easier to make a deal with the O's.

If Getz treats the Cease trade as an opportunity to " multiply" the talent and compete asap not just necessarily get only prospects there is some wiggle room for a trade with them.

As fans we are only looking at prospects because we view it as a rebuild . But don't be too shocked if Getz retools with someone with less than full prospect status as long as he multiplies the depth of talent. Maybe he ends up getting 8 or 9 controllable years of 1 MLB starting position player and 1 high end pitching prospect rather than perhaps 18-24 years of control of 2 decent prospects and 1 or 2 lesser prospects.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m honestly just fucking around and trying to see what it’s like to be Balta for 30 minutes.  I’m not worried in the slightest yet and a Braves beat writer likely leaking org fed info doesn’t change that for me.  I agree we may not see a trade during the Winter Meetings, but at some point Cease will be the best pitcher on the market and the offers will come.  Just got to wait it a bit longer.

Lol i I thought you were being serious. Well done

Edited by Flash Tizzle
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Flash Tizzle said:

Didn’t many have this exact same thought process at the trade deadline? “Just wait until the offseason when there’s more teams looking for pitching.” Let’s not act like we’re going to enter the season with Cease. We cannot take the risk, and I’m sure every team knows it

I think most of us wanted to trade him at the deadline and the rumors were that Hahn wasn’t very serious (was asking for Holliday).  I agree, unless there is no offer of substance, we should move him before the deadline.  That being said, I don’t think that gives other teams leverage.  This is basic supply and demand and there aren’t many pitchers available like Cease and basically none that don’t cost a fuckton of money.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

I would think that waiting to trade Cease would be beneficial in the long run. If these prospects spend more time with their current organization they will develop more. If the sox were to get them prior to the season that will only slow their development in our minor league system. So consider it a plus if we wait to trade Cease at the deadline.

37 minutes ago, pmb0928 said:

I would think that waiting to trade Cease would be beneficial in the long run. If these prospects spend more time with their current organization they will develop more. If the sox were to get them prior to the season that will only slow their development in our minor league system. So consider it a plus if we wait to trade Cease at the deadline.

Until he gets hurt in typical Sox "everything that can go wrong will go wrong" 2023 fashion...another disadvantage is that he can't fatten up his stats too much beating up on the AL Central dregs (Royals and Tigers) as in past years with the unbalanced schedule.

I think a lack of a Cease trade is because he's a lower priority for teams right now. Soto, Ohtani, Yamamoto all probably need to come off the board then the Cease market will iron itself out. All of the teams in on those three are also in on Cease.

21 hours ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Off topic, but does anyone else get a pop up ad whenever they open a thread on this site? It’s very annoying.

21 hours ago, WestEddy said:

Yes, on this and a lot of other sites, too. SoxMachine is getting that.

20 hours ago, nrockway said:

At least now it’s men shirts instead of women’s underwear…

20 hours ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Yeah for awhile there I couldn't open up soxtalk.com in public.

20 hours ago, wegner said:

Haha, I logged in one time on the desktop in the living room to see if there were any offseason updates and the lovely ladies that popped up were definitely noticed by my better half...."what are you viewing over there?!?"....."Just White Sox stuff, dear"

20 hours ago, poppysox said:

I do...and yes it is.

Now the ads are $3 appetizers at TGI Fridays. Today was a good day.

• Like 2
  • Fire 1

I'm feeling good right now about this trade, especially with Morosi pointing at BAL. 

Getz saying they are not close feels like gamesmanship to me. I get a gut feeling that they are close and close with BAL specifically....maybe even just haggling over the third piece now.

Ohtani, Yamamoto, other SPs do not change BALs position at all since like us they swim in only the kiddie pool.

Cease and Santos for Mayo, Kjerstad, another body. 

I mentioned Santos to the O’s before realizing that Felix Bautista is out the entire year. I get some of this thread isn’t too keen on giving up Santos but if that’s what it took to get both Kjerstad and Mayo sign me up. 

8 minutes ago, Rey21 said:

I mentioned Santos to the O’s before realizing that Felix Bautista is out the entire year. I get some of this thread isn’t too keen on giving up Santos but if that’s what it took to get both Kjerstad and Mayo sign me up. 

I've been told a million times Santos has no value due to his injury.

Just now, SoCalChiSox said:

To be fair, Balta has suggested that no one (perhaps aside from Robert) has any substantial value, not just Santos.

Lip Man has really been banging the drum on the whole Santos specifically is worthless thing. 

I feel like that is Lip's schtick. Repeatedly telling people a pitcher has an injury, telling us to outlive Jerry, and telling us he interviewed someone associated with the White Sox.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

To be fair, Balta has suggested that no one (perhaps aside from Robert) has any substantial value, not just Santos.

Lip Man has really been banging the drum on the whole Santos specifically is worthless thing. 

I've never said he is "worthless" but I have said that due to his injury and the history the Sox have had with those (i.e. Rodon, Dunning, Martin with "forearm strains") you can't count on him for anything until shown otherwise. Plus his melt downs last year as the season was ending made me question if he really could close.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DirtySox said:

I feel like that is Lip's schtick. Repeatedly telling people a pitcher has an injury, telling us to outlive Jerry, and telling us he interviewed someone associated with the White Sox.

I always mention when I've spoken with someone for a story I've done to provide context and so that folks know I'm not pulling stuff out of thin air.

As far as outlive Jerry, that's fact.

There literally is NOTHING else you can as a fan do (you can always give up completely on the team I guess).

JR is not going to change, period. His philosophy and values have been demonstrated for 40+ years, the results speak for themselves.

Any fan who thinks otherwise is being delusional. 

I get it, fans need to have some hope but hope is not a recipe for success is it?

So do what you need to do to stay alive and outlive current ownership, things may turn for the better after wards. 

I laugh when people include Santos in trades right now, the guy has an injury that very often leads to TJS, why would any team in their right mind, decide to trade for him or take him in any package right now?

Makes no sense. If he shows he can pitch and pitch effectively perhaps he gets traded in July. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

I've been told a million times Santos has no value due to his injury.

33 minutes ago, Rey21 said:

23 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

FIFY

20 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Even if Santos were injured and set to miss the whole season, he would have some value.  That said, I personally wouldn't move him this offseason.  Let him close to start the year, show he's healthy and then move him in July.  Not trading him at the deadline was a big miss; he may well turn back into JAG with a big arm.  But holding is a risk I am willing to take versus just tossing him in a deal with Cease . Feels a bit like just giving him away. 

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Like 1