Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

15 minutes ago, Vote4Pedro said:

You think a team will end up caving to Getz demands? My worry is teams view Cease projections more off his last year performance and his runner up in the Cy Young season as more of an anomaly than looking at it as what he can bring to the table year in and year out

Teams are going to see one of the most durable starters with elite stuff who has already flashed dominance over a full season despite being part of one of the most behind the times organizations.  An anonymous Astros’ front office exec called Cease their “dream acquisition” at last year’s deadline.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

This franchise has so many more holes to fill than just 2B and RF in the coming years that concentrating on any certain positions as the return is crazy. The next year should be about talent acquisition. Acquire as much young talent as possible (and take some chances on vets to flip) and figure out roster construction later. 

Don’t get me wrong, I didn’t really like the pick, but they did just use the 15th overall pick on Gonzalez who likely ends up at 2B (wouldn’t say Sosa or Popeye are dead in the water yet either). Also not crazy to think that Colas figures it out and fills the RF hole. 

Bottom line- get the most talent back as possible regardless of position. The only obvious pitfall to avoid would be getting too many 1B/DH types like the Sox have done previously…not sure that’s a worry with Getz prioritizing defense and athleticism tho.

I don’t disagree at all, but if the Orioles are offering Kjerstad, Westburg, plus some other stuff let’s say, it’s unlikely there will be a better deal.  Don’t turn it down because it doesn’t have a big pitching prospect in it.

1 hour ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Yeah I've pretty much resigned myself to it at this point everytime I see this ATL bullshit and all this pitching crap.

Anyway, I'm actually kind of sort of hopeful about CIN....the more I read about Carlos Jorge I think it's possible he could be a LHS even though he seems to be a third piece. Fangraphs projects him as 50 hit/60 power/55 speed/45 field which is great for a LH 2B. 

If that's accurate it's similar to Busch offensively but ofcourse with a playable glove at 2B more speed and much much younger.

That would be a hell of a third piece along with Lowder and Petty. 

If they can get him in the CIN deal I'd be excited about that.

I really wanted a BAL deal sooooooo bad tho. We could address RF and 2B in one deal and prolly get a solid 4 in Povich as the third piece. It made too much sense so ofcourse Getz doesn't want it.

It’s not he doesn’t want it but instead more likely it’s not available

7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Teams are going to see one of the most durable starters with elite stuff who has already flashed dominance over a full season despite being part of one of the most behind the times organizations.  An anonymous Astros’ front office exec called Cease their “dream acquisition” at last year’s deadline.

Well hopefully there is more people out there like that than not. Problem is I don’t know if the Astros had enough juice in their farm system to make that acquisition. It seems like Baltimore is the ideal fit for a trade but their GM either is a prospect hugger or doesn’t view Cease as that type of guy at this point. 

9 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I don’t disagree at all, but if the Orioles are offering Kjerstad, Westburg, plus some other stuff let’s say, it’s unlikely there will be a better deal.  Don’t turn it down because it doesn’t have a big pitching prospect in it.

If the Orioles were offering Kjerstad and Westburg, I think the deal would be done 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Their reluctance to not trade anyone is just so insane to me. Do they not realize how many excess position players they have?

I posted quite a bit over on that Orioles board and kept pointing out that some of their guys are simply going to age out in AAA if they don’t move them.  And most of their posters agree and want to actually move them for something that can help them now.  Unfortunately, Elias is prospect hugging SoB who wants to have backup prospects to the backup prospects in case the main prospects fail.

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The sad part is I truly believe BAL wants Cease.  You look at that rotation and it’s razor thin.  I know everyone will say they won 101 games and don’t need to do anything, but I don’t really believe that for a second.  One big injury in the rotation could be significantly disruptive for them.  Elias isn’t dumb and I’m sure he knows this.  If he were in the AL Central, then maybe he feels he can wait it out until the deadline (although not sure prices will be much better), but that’s a tough proposition in the AL East.  Would hate to see a perfect match with them go to waste because Getz is determined to get pitching back in return.

They won 101 in an AL East while NYY and Boston had down seasons. And look what happened in the playoffs. Yanks added Soto and probably aren't done rearming. If the O's think they will waltz to the AL East again as is, hubris be thy name Baltimore...

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Balta and aly would like a word with you. 

Edited by ron883
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 1

2 hours ago, SoCalChiSox said:

I am slow but let me see if I comprehend this right.

Getz has a jewel everyone wants.

He proceeds to artificially limit himself to pitching because the owner is a cheapskate and because they are too stupid and/or chickenshit to understand that RF/2B/LHS is a non negotiable must.

And then after announcing his undying love for pitching he can't even pry both AJSS and Waldrep out of the deal with a desperate ATL club whose only chance to stop the LAD in the playoffs is to make this deal so they can start a stud in every playoff game.

Do I have that right?

You're looking at things logically and rationally. Unfortunately Getz' marching orders likely aren't.

4 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

They won 101 in an AL East while NYY and Boston had down seasons. And look what happened in the playoffs. Yanks added Soto and probably aren't done rearming. If the O's think they will waltz to the AL East again as is, hubris be thy name Baltimore...

The Orioles are owned and operated by a 94 year old man who has shown that he has no intentions of spending $ on the team. Orioles are going to have to wait another year or 2 when the team is sold to have hope of getting over the hump. 

15 minutes ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

They're going to trade Santander et al and keep the prospects. 

Santander is a fan favorite and is likely worth more to them than he is in trade. Even good young teams need to have veterans around. They can't trade away every vet and expect to fill their holes with talent equal to their prospects.

4 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

The Orioles are owned and operated by a 94 year old man who has shown that he has no intentions of spending $ on the team. Orioles are going to have to wait another year or 2 when the team is sold to have hope of getting over the hump. 

Which is why they almost have to trade from their abundance of prospect capital, since they won't be handing out $300M contracts any time soon. That is if ownership is actually serious about contending for World Series titles instead of a few AL East crowns.

5 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Which is why they almost have to trade from their abundance of prospect capital, since they won't be handing out $300M contracts any time soon. That is if ownership is actually serious about contending for World Series titles instead of a few AL East crowns.

Or they let the veterans go knowing they have cheap replacements on the way.

1 minute ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Right.  They won 101 games last year and still have a young up and coming team.  They don't have to do a damn thing.  

I also think they know they might take a step back, but still can make the postseason.  Bautista was a huge part of their success last year. 

6 minutes ago, fathom said:

Or they let the veterans go knowing they have cheap replacements on the way.

But they have waves upon waves of prospects and nowhere to play half these guys.  Assuming Holiday is at SS and Henderson is at 3B, what are they doing at 2B?  If it’s Westburg, then where does Ortiz & Norby fit in?  Ortiz is going to be 26 next year and hasn’t proven a damn thing in the majors.  They also have an OF prospect in Stowers who turns 26 in a month and is ready for a shot but will not see one given there are three major league starters in place and two high end prospects chomping at the bit in Cowser & Kjerstad.  They simply don’t need all these guys even if they have financial limitations.  Cash in some of them and fill holes while you still have these young studs under team control.  Ruschman is as good as gone after the 2027 season and they need to be a bit more aggressive if they want to fully take advantage of this four year window.

1 hour ago, Jerksticks said:

Maybe hitting is the foundation.  It gives you a chance to win every day in a 162 game season.  You have to have points on the board.  

True, scraping out a run with a poor offense will win if you keep the other team off the board. 

And as I said that doesn't apply in the post season when they will be facing the good pitching more often. 

Edited by ptatc