Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

If the O’s seriously balked at that price then, they aren’t the trade partner for the Sox. 2.5 full seasons of Dylan Cease for that and they passed, cmon man.

Let the free agents sign, once they start signing the more teams will be interested in trading prospects for starting pitching. Make Baltimore get desperate if they really want Cease. Again the Sox hold all the cards 

Edited by Rey21

7 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Cease’s value could absolutely be higher in 6 months, if he is back to something like his 2022 form. This is only true if he has a rotten first half again.

I think the risk of injury and getting jack squat for Cease far outweighs seeing if he can regain his 2022 form and trading him at the deadline.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, fathom said:

Yes, if they’re not pitching prospects 

OMG...so basically the JR edict that he's not going to pay money for pitching in the next rebuild is true and we are artificially forced to accept SP prospect only offers.

So basically it could only be ATL, CIN, CHC or LAD at this point, right?

So BAL is just a stalking horse used for leverage only and Getz doesn't give a s%*# about them even if savages are offered?

4 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

OMG...so basically the JR edict that he's not going to pay money for pitching in the next rebuild is true and we are artificially forced to accept SP prospect only offers.

So BAL is just a stalking horse used for leverage only and Getz doesn't give a s%*# about them even if savages are offered?

If it is so be it, Sox need everything

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Naw, but neither of them would have helped a contender.

Except Cease had a 2.83 ERA in September and appeared to be getting stronger as the season concluded. OTOH, Flaherty had a 7.20 ERA in September and faded terribly as the season concluded. Not sure how you can definitively say that Cease wouldn’t have helped a team in the playoffs with how he was pitching in September.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

I mean, I’m not sure it’s fair to assume that Cease would have pitched exactly the same behind their defense and with their pitching coach.

“My pitching coach can fix this badly broken pitcher” continues to be a vexing argument for paying a high price for a player.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I mean, I’m not sure it’s fair to assume that Cease would have pitched exactly the same behind their defense and with their pitching coach.

Nah guaranteed Cease would have sucked with zero shot of regaining any sort of motivation by getting traded to a contender. 

• Like 1

Just now, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Except Cease had a 2.83 ERA in September and appeared to be getting stronger as the season concluded. OTOH, Flaherty had a 7.20 ERA in September and faded terribly as the season concluded. Not sure how you can definitively say that Cease wouldn’t have helped a team in the playoffs with how he was pitching in September.

Cease had an 8.07 ERA in August. Games in August count too!

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Cease had an 8.07 ERA in August. Games in August count too!

They didn’t count for the White Sox, lol.  Not sure how you can possibly make the assumption that Cease puts up the same numbers with the Orioles as he did with our piece of s%*# non-contending team.  Amazing…

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1

Just now, Balta1701 said:

“My pitching coach can fix this badly broken pitcher” continues to be a vexing argument for paying a high price for a player.

It strains the outermost boundaries of credulity to suggest an fWAR of 3.7 instead of 4.4 is "badly broken" but I'm glad you are arguing in good faith here Balta...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Dodgers care less about the money/salary aspect and would seemingly prefer holding on to their prospects, a one year deal for Bieber at the moment.

1 minute ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

They didn’t count for the White Sox, lol.  Not sure how you can possibly make the assumption that Cease puts up the same numbers with the Orioles as he did with our piece of s%*# team.  Amazing…

Would have to look at his numbers with different catchers down the stretch.

Especially Lee, but I wasn't even following the team then to know if he stuck with his regular catcher or they switched it up or not.

1 minute ago, SoCalChiSox said:

It strains the outermost boundaries of credulity to suggest an fWAR of 3.7 instead of 4.4 is "badly broken" but I'm glad you are arguing in good faith here Balta...

Do you believe that Dylan Cease was a better pitcher in 2021 than in 2022?