Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

4 minutes ago, Rolle Tide said:

It’s just a suggestion in an article right? Not really a rumor 

Where did I call it a rumor?  The point is that an MLB.com writer thinks that Cease’s trade value is higher than an obviously biased Orioles fan.  Go figure…

Edited by WhiteSox2023

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Ok, I’m going to go off the assumption that you aren’t a stupid person..so, I want you to actually to think about this for a moment.

Read what he said. He mentioned Kjerstad and Mayo and made sure to show where they are ranked on the MlB list.  So, he’s clearly using those rankings as a reason for his thought process.  Those rankings, as you guys have talked about a lot w/r/t Ortiz, are not updated. Basallo is 47th in their list iirc, so he’s essentially saying that he’s ranked too low. Also, the MLB rankings are ok but nothing special.

Now, he is also saying that because of those rankings that they have a higher upside than Basallo. You can argue that with Mayo but you absolutely can’t argue that with Kjerstad. Basallo’s upside is easily higher than Heston.

On top of that, going back to your Ortiz argument, Basallo meets your timeline of contention far more than Kjerstad does.

So, everything about that is completely wrong. 

1) The Os aren’t trading Basallo. He’s extremely likely to be one of the untouchables Elias has publicly said exist.

2) he says that other guys would be better basically because of their ranking even though Basallo is very likely to be higher than both once Mayo and Callis re-do the rankings.

3) The WS absolutely would not turn down that offer even if Elias was willing to offer it.

Now, you tell me what I said is wrong.  You tell me why that writer, one with no real credibility outside of probably having a journalism degree, should be trusted?  That guy has 6000 less twitter followers than your guy James does and most people outside of WS fans have probably never heard of James.

Thanks for the recap, Mr. Elias.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rolle Tide said:

I guess Elias assumed he could get a better upgrade. We will see if he’s able to do that. He claimed to be after a #1 when the offseason started. 

He absolutely never said that.  From just after the November GM meetings:

“Yeah, we’re keeping it relatively open because we have to see what opportunities present themselves in this market," he said. "We’ve got two guys in (Kyle) Bradish and (Grayson) Rodriguez that basically pitched like front-end starters all year, most of the year, and they are coming back. But there is pressure on them and it would be nice to bring them some help. If we are able to import a clear upgrade to one of our rotation spots that’s going to radiate out into the rest of the rotation. We’ll see what the best opportunity is, who the best person is for the job. Whether we are able to get our hands on this guy. It is hard to narrow yourself too much going into an offseason. There are not that many people (as starters) available." 

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/o-s-mike-elias-on-groundwork-laid

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Thanks for admitting that this guy has no business assessing a trade like this and that he has no idea who these players are.

I never admitted that.  And I definitely am not putting my money on a random biased Orioles fan named Sports Guy being better than him at his job writing for MLB.com.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

This board is more credible than BR. You guys are the ones who posted a BR top 100 prospect list. That’s toilet paper.

I’ve lost track of how many Orioles fans we have on here, but didn’t one of you guys link a proposed Orioles trade from a site like that?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

He absolutely never said that.  From just after the November GM meetings:

“Yeah, we’re keeping it relatively open because we have to see what opportunities present themselves in this market," he said. "We’ve got two guys in (Kyle) Bradish and (Grayson) Rodriguez that basically pitched like front-end starters all year, most of the year, and they are coming back. But there is pressure on them and it would be nice to bring them some help. If we are able to import a clear upgrade to one of our rotation spots that’s going to radiate out into the rest of the rotation. We’ll see what the best opportunity is, who the best person is for the job. Whether we are able to get our hands on this guy. It is hard to narrow yourself too much going into an offseason. There are not that many people (as starters) available." 

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/o-s-mike-elias-on-groundwork-laid

More BS spouted by Sports Guy apparently.  Thanks for correcting him.  It is appreciated.  ??

Edited by WhiteSox2023

Basallo still has too high of a risk factor he doesn't stick at catcher...and the White Sox simply don't develop catchers well from a defensive standpoint.  Plus they just went out and added Quero. 

Maybe with Basallo you could argue that Maldonado would be around to tutor him (and Quero...and that would be part of the deal), but Basallo has a lot more value to other teams just like Ortiz because they're blocked behind stud players.

"His arm is also well above average, looks elite at times. He is still working on his blocking and overall concentration, but he should catch a whole lot this year and continue to grow at the position.”

At 6-foot-4 and 220 pounds, there is a chance Basallo (pronounced Ba-sigh-O) could outgrow the catching position, although the Orioles have a big guy now back there doing pretty well. One scout put it as 60-40 or 65-35 he stays as a catcher. If he has to abandon a catcher’s mitt at some point down the road he could end up at first base or in a corner outfield spot. But even at his size, he is considered quite athletic and flexible.

His fielding got a 50 scouting grade from Baseball America, and his arm a 60 grade. MLBPipeline.com put it at 45 fielding and 60 arm. So yeah, his arm is well above average, and he touched 86 mph on some of his best throws to second base last year. Adley Rutschman averaged 86.3 mph on his arm strength, via Statcast data in the big leagues in 2022. And that velocity tied Rutschman for seventh-best arm strength among all big league catchers."

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/he-s-no-1-catcher-samuel-basallo-heads-up-o-s-international-rankings

Edited by caulfield12

3 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

More BS spouted by Sports Guy apparently.  Thanks for correcting him.  It is appreciated.  ??

That wasnt directed at me genius.  I think it’s time mommy and daddy put you to bed with your warm milk.

Edited by Sports Guy

Just now, caulfield12 said:

Basallo still has too high of a risk factor he doesn't stick at catcher...and the White Sox simply don't develop catchers well from a defensive standpoint.

"His arm is also well above average, looks elite at times. He is still working on his blocking and overall concentration, but he should catch a whole lot this year and continue to grow at the position.”

At 6-foot-4 and 220 pounds, there is a chance Basallo (pronounced Ba-sigh-O) could outgrow the catching position, although the Orioles have a big guy now back there doing pretty well. One scout put it as 60-40 or 65-35 he stays as a catcher. If he has to abandon a catcher’s mitt at some point down the road he could end up at first base or in a corner outfield spot. But even at his size, he is considered quite athletic and flexible.

His fielding got a 50 scouting grade from Baseball America, and his arm a 60 grade. MLBPipeline.com put it at 45 fielding and 60 arm. So yeah, his arm is well above average, and he touched 86 mph on some of his best throws to second base last year. Adley Rutschman averaged 86.3 mph on his arm strength, via Statcast data in the big leagues in 2022. And that velocity tied Rutschman for seventh-best arm strength among all big league catchers."

Did you miss the memo?  Every all bat/weak glove Orioles prospect is destined to pan out at the hardest position.  Mayo at 3B and Basallo at C.  Neither will end up at 1B.  No chance, not happening…

15 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Basallo still has too high of a risk factor he doesn't stick at catcher...and the White Sox simply don't develop catchers well from a defensive standpoint.

The thought is he probably outgrows the position but he has a strong arm and right now, should be able to play some there.

Our hope is that he is the back up C, catch 40ish games a year and play first and DH the rest of the time.

Or Mayo be in RF.

Edited by Sports Guy

5 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I never admitted that.  And I definitely am not putting my money on a random biased Orioles fan named Sports Guy being better than him at his job writing for MLB.com.

I guess I shouldn’t have made that initial assumption.

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

I’ve lost track of how many Orioles fans we have on here, but didn’t one of you guys link a proposed Orioles trade from a site like that?

Yea I  think Frobby did and he reasonably explained things on why he posted it after I believe people talking about what trade offers were out there.

But of course you guys took it personally and called him names instead of just using it for what it was and that was him answering a question. He never said it was realistic, he was just answering a question.

One thing is certain.

Between Basallo Kjerstad and Mayo there's going to be an eventual logjam at 1B/DH.

And they already have Mountcastle and O'Hearn.

Those two are disposable...but odds are usually out of three guys like that...only one is going to actually make it. 

Two are going to disappointments, especially because they are "hit first" players.

Basallo in RF turns into Melendez of the Royals.

Edited by caulfield12

The funny thing is that this Sports Guy rat and his other buddies here are reporting back to his Orioles message board trying to clown everything that is said here.  Meanwhile, I don’t see any Sox fans posting anything at his Orioles board.  This guy is a troll and should be thrown in the flaming dumpster that Getz is currently picking players from.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 5

48 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Are the O's true believers doing the same exact thing on Miami Cleveland and Milwaukee boards?

Trying to convince Milwaukee they desperately need Ortiz?

The reason we happen to be on this board is that @Chicago White Sox came onto our board first and posted his thoughts about a Cease trade for a week or two.   Nobody from Miami, Cleveland and Milwaukee has done that.  

I might add that we had quite a good conversation going with @Chicago White Sox over there.  I am sorry that the conversation over here has taken some bad turns over the last week or so.   

I am bowing out of this discussion for now, though I might return if concrete reports of a pending trade appear from a credible source.  I wish the Sox all the best in their efforts to get a good return for Cease.  

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

One thing is certain.

Between Basallo Kjerstad and Mayo there's going to be an eventual logjam at 1B/DH.

And they already have Mountcastle.

Mountcastle needs to be dealt. Kjerstad will hopefully be able to stay in the OF but it’s shaky right now.

2 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

The funny thing is that this Sports Guy rat and his other buddies here are reporting back to his Orioles message board trying to clown everything that is said here.  Meanwhile, I don’t see any Sox fans posting anything at his Orioles board.  This guy is a troll and should be thrown in the flaming dumpster that Getz is currently picking players from.

Yea, people are getting a lot of entertainment out of you guys. It’s like watching a train wreck and you are the conductor.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

I think both are pretty obvious.

I mean, what info do we have on how hard the Yankees are pushing for him?  Your best insider in here said they are getting more aggressive but we have zero idea what that actually means. That could mean lots of things.

In terms of the demands from the WS, as I have said a bunch of times, if teams were meeting their demands, a deal would be done.

I would wager that basically every single trade, especially for a major piece, has gone this same way…trading team asks for more than the market will pay, buyers offering lower than seller will take..eventually the seller and one buyer move on their requests and a deal is struck.  It’s just how negotiation works.

You are starting to grasp the basics of negotiating. Now let's take the next step. It could go this way but it could also change where other pitchers are taken off the market and a team gets desperate and either meets or comes much closer to the original demands than they wanted to. 

This is why the team trading the player waits.

Niw it could backfire and the team offering the best prospects pivots and acquires a different player. Now the the reading has lost leverage and gets a lesser deal. 

Any of these scenarios are possible. It is not a static process. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Where did I call it a rumor?  The point is that an MLB.com writer thinks that Cease’s trade value is higher than an obviously biased Orioles fan.  Go figure…

I was just asking. Really, How is it higher? Basallo is the only player in that deal that any Oriole fan is likely to be unhappy with. It doesn’t include 2 top 100 prospects that you guys have been beating to death here as a minimum. Most Orioles fans named Cowser as a guy they’d  be okay going in a deal. 

That would be our #5, #7, #11, and Urias. (Per MLB). That’s a lot less than you guys have been saying on here. 

*******I believe that no one here liked Norby and hadn’t heard much about your thoughts on Povich. ******

Edited by Rolle Tide