Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Yep, I said his contract will age terribly and I still firmly believe that. What have the Padres won with all their big trades and big free agent signings?

Question is, if the Sox ever get another player as good as Tatis Jr., and I don’t think Robert is even that guy, what should the Sox do then?  Sign him to a huge deal or trade him?  You can’t have it both ways.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I was wondering how the predictable demise of the Os rotation was going, and if they would actually show some stones this this around?

No, they fell apart completely, just like JUSTgottaBELIEVE said they would.  The Yankees own that division.  As a result, Elias will now overpay for Crochet, even though he got Burnes for a song.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

9 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Question is, if the Sox ever get another player as good as Tatis Jr., and I don’t think Robert is even that guy, what should the Sox do then?  Sign him to a huge deal or trade him?  You can’t have it both ways.

Obviously, there’s only one option with Jerry.  

• Paper Bag 1

15 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Once again, Machado Bogaerts Darvish and Musgrove are all more worrisome long-term.

You realize Tatis made an All Star team again and also a GG with just one offseason to prepare???

I mean…Acuna is a risk now too.  Right?

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Once again, Machado Bogaerts Darvish and Musgrove are all more worrisome long-term.

You realize Tatis made an All Star team again and also a GG with just one offseason to prepare???

I mean…Acuna is a risk now too.  Right?

You do realize he’s only 3 years into a 14 year contract and is injury prone right? Let’s see how it plays out. I wasn’t concerned about the front half of that contract but the second half yikes

1 minute ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

You do realize he’s only 3 years into a 14 year contract and is injury prone right? Let’s see how it plays out. I wasn’t concerned about the front half of that contract but the second half yikes

The Padres will be attaching him to Cease to get someone to take Tatis in no time.

• Haha 3

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

If we do that, we also have to track all the pathetic dumpster diving free agents that add up to $25 to $35 million that Getz signs each offseason.  It’s a White Sox tradition that is never going away, no matter who the GM is.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Was he injured this season? He's on track for a 4 bWAR year. We should all be so injured. 

My conspiracy theory is that KW/Hahn made a deal to sign him for the Padres because they were over their allotment for the year. They then went through the motions of returning him to the Padres for Shields. The alternative is just way too stupid, even for the worst Hahn truthers. 

4 hours ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I’m no fan of Flaherty personally. I don’t think Os fans are either but I’ll let them respond to that rather than speak on their behalf. @Rolle Tide?

Paging the trolls - oh boy.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Well, most teams pretty much write off the "value added" part of anything on the back half of a contract like that.

Right now, the investment has directly and indirectly led to 3 playoff series wins in 2020 and 2022 (yes, Tatis was out that year) as well as helped in the recruitment of Machado/Bogaerts (not exactly a good thing right now)...and and now represents an All-Star/GG caliber RFer. (Jackson Merrill has managed to make the same conversion from SS to CF, an even more difficult position because you're responsible for captaining the entire outfield at age 20/21.)

SD has also had attendance in the Top 3-4 in baseball the last couple of seasons, despite the massive budget cutbacks.

Obviously Seidler's death and the RSN debacle/forced payroll cuts have both slowed momentum.

In the end, "star/great" players with risky contracts are usually the cost of competing for the top franchises in the sport. That's just the way it has always been, and always will be.

At any rate...their fans KNEW that Seidler was desperate to do anything to give them another World Series team...he wore his heart on his sleeve, and authorized some unorthodox management of a top tier farm system (some of those trades blew up in Preller's face...hurting the team long-term for short term competitiveness.)

Honestly, they're playing better without Tatis in this recent stretch, just like in 2022.

I would have said last year that 9/10 times they would have lost a game they blew a 7-2 lead completely in the 9th inning with Suarez giving up a grand slam AND a two run homer as well...but they calmly responded with three runs of their own against Sewald.

There's still 70 games left, but they're in a really strong position...especially if they add a 4/5 back-end starter, another reliever for the 7th/8th and finally another outfielder, although Tatis is expected to return in JULY from his stress fracture that he'd been playing on for pretty much the entire season with incredibly high pain tolerance.

It’s been a while since I saw Caulfield bring out the nerf guns for Tatis.  It brings a tear to my eye, I feel like singing Vampire weekend “giving up the gun” so loud rn

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

I was wondering how the predictable demise of the Os rotation was going, and if they would actually show some stones this this around?

Predictable demise? They have the second best rotation ERA in baseball and just got quality starts from Kremer (back from injury) and Suarez. Grayson Rodriguez has ten wins and Burnes leads the team. in ERA and K’s. Also they are breaking in Povich who has a 4.04 ERA in 5 starts since being called up. 

So despite losing Means and Bradish to TJ surgery they are doing pretty well. Obviously they are looking for a starter and Crochet’s name has surfaced in rumors.

8 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

But his ERA is over 4…

Looking out his stats his FIP is about 3/4 of a run lower than his ERA similar to last year. But, he’s also given up 13 bombs in a half of baseball. With the exception of the one season I find him mildly disappointing/ underachieving despite his talent. 

16 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

It’s been a while since I saw Caulfield bring out the nerf guns for Tatis.  It brings a tear to my eye, I feel like singing Vampire weekend “giving up the gun” so loud rn

That might be a better take than Planet of Apes as second worst movie of all time.

I only know Vampire facials cosmetic skin care procedures.

Will have to report on any more free agents in the  KBO next Thurs…and makes a suggestion they add KPop-influenced dugout cheerleaders for the last two months of the season.

Most famous dance team…plays out of Incheon.

39 year old captain/fitness trainer oldest in the KBO.  

8 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

No, they fell apart completely, just like JUSTgottaBELIEVE said they would.  The Yankees own that division.  As a result, Elias will now overpay for Crochet, even though he got Burnes for a song.

You serious? The Yankees are the team in the midst of a 5 games losing streak. 

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Rolle Tide said:

Looking out his stats his FIP is about 3/4 of a run lower than his ERA similar to last year. But, he’s also given up 13 bombs in a half of baseball. With the exception of the one season I find him mildly disappointing/ underachieving despite his talent. 

Fedde is on a lot of want lists.

Back to arguing about Kjerstad, Norby, Beavers, Bradfield, etc.

No doubt White Sox looking for outfielder/s.

Edited by caulfield12

9 hours ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Well, Drew Thorpe is on the verge of starting his career 3-1 with an ERA in the low 3s for a team that’s on pace to lose 115 games. If people aren’t happy with the trade, it’s because they irrationally dislike Getz…

Yeah …He’s off to a nice start. By looking at his stats K’s are the only real concern. Hopefully that increases as he gets some experience. Cool thanks 

18 minutes ago, Rolle Tide said:

Predictable demise? They have the second best rotation ERA in baseball and just got quality starts from Kremer (back from injury) and Suarez. Grayson Rodriguez has ten wins and Burnes leads the team. in ERA and K’s. Also they are breaking in Povich who has a 4.04 ERA in 5 starts since being called up. 

So despite losing Means and Bradish to TJ surgery they are doing pretty well. Obviously they are looking for a starter and Crochet’s name has surfaced in rumors.

10 minutes ago, Rolle Tide said:

You serious? The Yankees are the team in the midst of a 5 games losing streak. 

Sarcasm.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Holliday is the next Yoan Moncada.   Just kidding.

Sox fans will attempt to convince Os fans they will lose the second tier of the farm if they try to hold onto all of them…or that they will age out as legit prospects.

Or that Mayo/Basallo could go to the Sox.

Seems like Baltimore might be kicking the tires on Luis Robert Jr. as well.

Edited by caulfield12

7 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Fedde is on a lot of want lists.

Back to arguing about Kjerstad, Norby, Beavers, Bradfield, etc.

No doubt White Sox looking for outfielder/s.

Not really looking to argue. I mentioned Crochet since the rumor is they have discussed him.

The Orioles are clearly looking to upgrade. For me Fedde has so over performed his career numbers that I’m not really interested. 

Crochet is interesting but his limited availability is a concern as well. But, we need a reliever as well …perhaps more. So they could limit his innings by using him as a reliever before the playoffs.

I’d be okay with dealing an outfielder and a couple other guys for Crochet. We obviously have a surplus. 

What would you be asking? Keep in mind Santander is gone after the season. Then Hays and Mullins after next. So the surplus isn’t as big as it appears.