Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

1 minute ago, WestEddy said:

I think you're misunderstanding the situation. Garrett Crochet isn't the "price" for acquiring a package of prospects from Baltimore. It's the other way around. Maybe Baltimore will find another team to take a lesser package for their ace pitcher. Crochet looks like the best on the market, and a good team will be able to manage around any injury concerns. 

Perhaps Baltimore chews up pitchers like Billy Martin did during his time in Oakland. The evidence seems to support that, in which case, the Orioles should probably look elsewhere. They should get two or three, since with the O's track record, two won't finish the season healthy. 

No not really …. Go back and look at your posters expectations in a return for Cease. Two top 100 plus others. The return wasn’t even close to that … you got a guy that was in the 60-90 range , a RP , and top younger guys that look iffy to me. As I mentioned, if they get anything from either of the two kids the deal was Win. 

Injuries happen…. Last year with the exception of Bautista the Orioles went mostly healthy. Means had 1 good season like another guy being discussed here and otherwise injured. Bradish injured his UCL in the offseason at Driveline. Hard to blame that on the Orioles.

6 minutes ago, Rolle Tide said:

No not really …. Go back and look at your posters expectations in a return for Cease. Two top 100 plus others. The return wasn’t even close to that … you got a guy that was in the 60-90 range , a RP , and top younger guys that look iffy to me. As I mentioned, if they get anything from either of the two kids the deal was Win. 

Injuries happen…. Last year with the exception of Bautista the Orioles went mostly healthy. Means had 1 good season like another guy being discussed here and otherwise injured. Bradish injured his UCL in the offseason at Driveline. Hard to blame that on the Orioles.

I didn't pay a lot of attention to what the people were demanding in trade on a message board. Prospect rankings don't really mean much. We got two 50FV pitchers and a 40FV OF for Cease, traded at an inopportune time, maybe at the behest of an owner who didn't want to carry the risk into the season. If you're acquiring a top ten in the game prospect, you're buying high. If you're getting a guy just out of the top 100 with a higher ceiling, you're buying low. 

If "injuries happen", then all pitchers are injury risks. Like I said, an organization with a good scouting and training staff can manage injury risk. You bringing up Crochet as an injury risk indicates to me you might have concerns about Baltimore's ability to keep Crochet on the mound. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

I didn't pay a lot of attention to what the people were demanding in trade on a message board. Prospect rankings don't really mean much. We got two 50FV pitchers and a 40FV OF for Cease, traded at an inopportune time, maybe at the behest of an owner who didn't want to carry the risk into the season. If you're acquiring a top ten in the game prospect, you're buying high. If you're getting a guy just out of the top 100 with a higher ceiling, you're buying low. 

If "injuries happen", then all pitchers are injury risks. Like I said, an organization with a good scouting and training staff can manage injury risk. You bringing up Crochet as an injury risk indicates to me you might have concerns about Baltimore's ability to keep Crochet on the mound. 

He’s thrown 186 innings since 2020 if you include the 12 innings in the minors. 100 of those are from this year. Obviously any GM looking at him will have concerns.

3 minutes ago, Rolle Tide said:

He’s thrown 186 innings since 2020 if you include the 12 innings in the minors. 100 of those are from this year. Obviously any GM looking at him will have concerns.

Well, injuries happen, and top prospects failing in the bigs happens too. Maybe the O's sent the wrong infielder to Milwaukee. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Rolle Tide said:

You keep saying this because of Pipeline, but other publications like Fangraphs had both Iriarte & Thorpe as Top 100 prospects.  And Zavala was a consensus top 10 system prospect for the Padres.  That is probably a little less than what most of us were hoping for, but I’m not sure I’d say it’s radically different from what we said he was worth.  And I think if we held onto Cease until the deadline, we would have probably gotten closer to what we had originally framed up.

Zavala is way more than a 40 prospect.

Depending on the source, the Sox did acquire three top 100 prospects. Baseball America for example had Iriarte ranked as high as 100 and Zavala in the 70s.

10 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

You keep saying this because of Pipeline, but other publications like Fangraphs had both Iriarte & Thorpe as Top 100 prospects.  And Zavala was a consensus top 10 system prospect for the Padres.  That is probably a little less than what most of us were hoping for, but I’m not sure I’d say it’s radically different from what we said he was worth.  And I think if we held onto Cease until the deadline, we would have probably gotten closer to what we had originally framed up.

All three of them were in the Padres top ten…. 1, 5, and 7. If you want to share a link I’d be happy to look. But, that would indicate they had 5 top 100 …which they did not.

3 minutes ago, 4OCS said:

Zavala is way more than a 40 prospect.

Depending on the source, the Sox did acquire three top 100 prospects. Baseball America for example had Iriarte ranked as high as 100 and Zavala in the 70s.

Who said he was a 40?

1 minute ago, Rolle Tide said:

All three of them were in the Padres top ten…. 1, 5, and 7. If you want to share a link I’d be happy to look. But, that would indicate they had 5 top 100 …which they did not.

Fangraphs had Iriarte 67th overall on their preseason list.  I seen several other lower profile publications (Just Baseball for example) have Iriarte in their top 100 as well.  Zavala was not on Fangraphs’ top 100 list or any others I’m aware of, but I don’t think Dylan Beavers has made any of these lists and he’s a really solid OF prospect.

3 minutes ago, Rolle Tide said:

Zavala was ranked 4th in Padres system by MLB pipeline at one point

Also, Zavala is walking at an 18% clip as an 19 year in High A ball.  He legit has a .449 OBP since June 1st (120 PA’s).  The whole package isn’t quite there just yet, but it’s easier to become a more aggressive hitter than it is to become a more selective one.  Once he learns a more balance approach, he will shoot up these rankings lists.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

I would be perfectly happy with that deal.

Your GM likely would not. 

He gave up Rom, Prieto, and Showalter for Jack Flaherty with a 5+ ERA. I wouldn’t think he’d view the deal as an overpay. I’m concerned that Fedde will come back to earth. But there is no way he’d be as bad as Flaherty. I know the Orioles believe Norby is a plus big league bat. Beavers isn’t replaceable. I wonder if Kopech just needs a change of scenery. He thought it would fix Fujinama but turned out with modest results.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Norby + Beavers seems like a fair deal for Fedde + Kopech

Would make this trade yesterday, and it’s actually salaries that the Orioles can even afford to take on.  I wonder if Elias won’t even give up those two prospects?

Edited by WhiteSox2023

4 hours ago, Rolle Tide said:

Just like he did Joey Ortiz who was an old bust …right. Callis is on dope! You are two if you th8n’ your getting 2 of them for Crochet, Thankfully Elias isn’t that stupid 

I never said that was realistic. I don’t think Crochet is getting traded though and definitely not to the Orioles. The White Sox didn’t need a 26-year-old Joey Ortiz as a headliner. I’m glad they got the Padres package instead 

• Like 2