Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

What is so "untouchable" about Spencer Jones?
He was pick #25 in the draft.  Good, but certainly not elite.
Since then, his OPS outside of the complex league is in the .700s.   Okay.  He hit 16 HRs last year in 535 PAs.  Okay.
And he whiffs like crazy.
Has anything changed about him since the draft that his stats don't reveal?

Is he really untouchable or is that Yankee spin to increase his trade value?
Would the Sox want him as a centerpiece anyway?

Edited by GreenSox

7 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

What is so "untouchable" about Spencer Jones?
He was pick #25 in the draft.  Good, but certainly not elite.
Since then, his OPS outside of the complex league is in the .700s.   Okay.  He hit 16 HRs last year in 535 PAs.  Okay.
And he whiffs like crazy.
Has anything changed about him since the draft that his stats don't reveal?

Is he really untouchable or is that Yankee spin to increase his trade value?
Would the Sox want him as a centerpiece anyway?

I think you are correct and it’s all spin.  Jason Dominguez is the guy they don’t want to give up.  Younger and better.

I know some of you guys were ripping on Elias recently for being tight fisted with his top prospects….. Do this change your opinion?

Kovacevic reported, “I was told over the weekend by a high-ranking American League executive that, at some point in 2024, the Orioles approached the Pirates about a trade of elite prospects, one that’d send Jared Jones to Baltimore and 20-year-old infielder Jackson Holliday to Pittsburgh. I was further told that it was Ben Cherington who backed off. And as the opening sentence of this paragraph suggests, I’ve got no idea when within this year it occurred. Only that it did.”

https://thereportonsports.com/pittsburgh-pirates-explore-trade-options-orioles-offered-jackson-holliday-for-jared-jones/

23 minutes ago, Rolle Tide said:

I know some of you guys were ripping on Elias recently for being tight fisted with his top prospects….. Do this change your opinion?

https://thereportonsports.com/pittsburgh-pirates-explore-trade-options-orioles-offered-jackson-holliday-for-jared-jones/

No.  Elias was probably asking for Paul Skenes, Bubba Chandler, and Luis Ortiz.  Skenes alone is now worth more than Holliday.  He is officially a proven stud ace in the majors, and likely worth more than Holliday even if Jackson pans out as well.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

13 minutes ago, fathom said:

I heard this was ruled to be totally false 

https://fansided.com/posts/mlb-rumors-cardinals-jordan-walker-orioles-jackson-holliday-marlins-jazz-chisholm

Per Robert Murray:

The Pirates rumors the last few days have been pretty crazy... And, to really just put the kabosh on this one, a Jackson Holliday-Jared Jones trade was never on the table. That was total fiction. That did not happen — would not happen — so we can put that rumor to bed."

Edited by WhiteSox2023

29 minutes ago, Rolle Tide said:

Honestly?  Even if it were true, it would mean that I was right by the idea that the SSS Holliday flop could have affected his value and put him on the market when he wasn't before. 

But it sounds like it is being disavowed.

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Honestly?  Even if it were true, it would mean that I was right by the idea that the SSS Holliday flop could have affected his value and put him on the market when he wasn't before. 

But it sounds like it is being disavowed.

Elias is like a pirate with his booty.  He’d rather be buried with his prospects before trading them away for what he actually needs to win a World Series.

Not saying it’s a sure thing he can’t win a WS without trading his top prospects, but it’s obvious that he wants his cake and to eat it too.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

No.  Elias was probably asking for Paul Skenes, Bubba Chandler, and Luis Ortiz.  Skenes alone is now worth more than Holliday.  He is officially a proven stud ace in the majors, and likely worth more than Holliday even if Jackson pans out as well.

Likely worth more? He’s worth way more. I don’t know what package Baltimore could put together to pry Skenes away, but it certainly doesn’t begin and end with Holliday. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sox72 said:

Likely worth more? He’s worth way more. I don’t know what package Baltimore could put together to pry Skenes away, but it certainly doesn’t begin and end with Holliday. 

I edited my post and removed the “likely” but it’s all a bunk BS rumor anyways.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

3 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Somebody on twitter (I know) said that the Pirates turned down Holliday for Jared Jones.

Paul Skenes is the most valuable pitcher in baseball, and by a wide margin.

It’s bullshit, per Robert Murray.  Scroll up.

The numnuts on Orioles Hangout are literally arguing over whether Skenes for Holliday is a good trade. They have entered the territory of blindly following their GM and have become an amalgamation of his prospect hugging obsession.

Based on that message board, there is no fan base in baseball that is more unrealistic about the presumption that every prospect turns out exactly as graded. 

Being this close to a World Series and ignoring a 41-year old drought is absolutely absurd. Their unfounded and recent arrogance makes me dislike no team more. 

(I’m drunk. End rant.)

Edited by Sox72
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sox72 said:

The numnuts on Orioles Hangout are literally arguing over whether Skenes for Holliday is a good trade. They have entered the territory of blindly following their GM and have become an amalgamation of his prospect hugging obsession.

Based on that message board, there is no fan base in baseball that is more unrealistic about the presumption that every prospect turns out exactly as graded. 

Being this close to a World Series and ignoring a 41-year old drought is absolutely absurd. Their unfounded and recent arrogance makes me dislike no team more. 

(I’m drunk. End rant.)

Well, they now think their GM can acquire anyone for peanuts since the Burnes trade was perceived to be light for Milwaukee.  It will be fun watching them fail to re-sign Burnes though.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

13 hours ago, Sox72 said:

(I’m drunk. End rant.)

Certainly wouldn't have guessed it was a drunk post. It looked well constructed .

32 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Certainly wouldn't have guessed it was a drunk post. It looked well constructed .

I was going to write “thanks,” but then realized I would just be admitting a problem. 

• Haha 1

Elias just confirmed they're not trading Mayo or Holliday. They have no one else I'd take as the headliner in a deal for Crochet. I suppose they would still be in on Fedde, but I'd be shocked if the Sox deal with them. I bet the O's trade people in the Jud Fabian tier for a rental.