Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

11 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Oh, so you found one guy on the entire internet, and strangely enough, he supports your view. That's great. Well, if the Orioles are so elite at drafting and developing players, it's weird they would even waste their time on a trade. 

It was literally the first article I saw.  And it doesn’t really support “my view,” since I said from my very first post here that I’d be willing to give up Kjerstad/Cowser and Ortiz (and maybe an additional piece, if pressed by circumstances).  So really we are just quibbling about what “extra” the Sox would get.   I was just interested in what were the “so many” articles you  were talking about.   And I still don’t know.  

What’s the package Sports Guy and James Fox discussed?   I can’t look it up because I’m not a Twitter/X member.  

• Like 1

Choose your fighter!

Player A:

• 3.8 fWAR
  • 3.82 xERA
  • 2nd in Stuff+
  • ~31% slider usage
  • 36.4% Whiff % on slider
  • 27th percentile HH %
  • 4th in AL Cy Young votes
  • Best season in entire career
  • Guaranteed TOR starter

Player B:

• 3.7 fWAR
  • 4.07 xERA
  • 5th in Stuff+
  • ~39% slider usage
  • 43.3% Whiff % on slider
  • 32nd percentile HH %
  • No Cy Young votes received
  • Worst season since 2020
  • Javy Vasquez esque starter
Edited by Chicago White Sox
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It was literally the first article I saw.  And it doesn’t really support “my view,” since I said from my very first post here that I’d be willing to give up Kjerstad/Cowser and Ortiz (and maybe an additional piece, if pressed by circumstances).  So really we are just quibbling about what “extra” the Sox would get.   I was just interested in what were the “so many” articles you  were talking about.   And I still don’t know.  

What’s the package Sports Guy and James Fox discussed?   I can’t look it up because I’m not a Twitter/X member.  

I haven’t been reading this whole thread (who could?)…but who agreed on Ortiz as the #2 piece? Big no thank you from me. 

15 minutes ago, Frobby said:

What’s the package Sports Guy and James Fox discussed?

It's on this very thread. I'm sorry, not to be rude, but I'm not trying to reopen an Orioles/Cease trade discussion. I was commenting on a particular strain of negativity, about Dylan Cease, here. 

10 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Choose your fighter!

Player A:

• 3.8 fWAR
  • 3.82 xERA
  • 2nd in Stuff+
  • ~31% slider usage
  • 27th percentile HH %
  • Guaranteed TOR starter

Player B:

• 3.7 fWAR
  • 4.07 xERA
  • 5th in Stuff+
  • ~39% slider usage
  • 32nd percentile HH %

Bums, both of them!

1 hour ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

Maybe one back end T100, an interesting guy and a couple lotto ticket players. 

So, like Ortiz would be the best player coming back from the Orioles. 

A back end top 100 guy is extremely unlikely to be as good as Cease is, and the other pieces are almost guaranteed to not be good or even MLB players. How does this make sense for a workhorse averaging 4 fWAR over the past 3 seasons? A pitcher with that track record is so useful to a team. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

They're getting a price for 2023 Cease not 2022 Cease. 

Nobody is paying 2022 prices because he had his worst year since he was a rookie instead of backing up his 2022 with another CY caliber season. 

I mean really, he's only had one good year. 

His 2021 and 2023 are Javy Vazquez esque. 

Now explain why a team gave up as much as they did for Giolito, in the midst of a mediocre season?

2 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Now explain why a team gave up as much as they did for Giolito, in the midst of a mediocre season?

Because supply and demand are very different at the trade deadline. 

LAA was clearly motivated by trying to make a wild card with Ohtani. They had a 2 month ticking clock and very few options. There are no ticking clocks right now. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

I did, and found a Sports Illustrated piece saying the White Sox should “jump at” a package of Joey Ortiz, Kyle Stowers, Justin Armbruester, Trace Bright, and Jud Fabian.  https://www.si.com/mlb/orioles/news/could-this-orioles-trade-package-land-white-sox-ace-cease-brad9

Lol nice try. It's an "Inside the Orioles" writer not a national SI guy....sounds like Elias is doing a fine job greasing local writers and converting them into basically state media.

Unscrupulous but impressive. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Because supply and demand are very different at the trade deadline. 

LAA was clearly motivated by trying to make a wild card with Ohtani. They had a 2 month ticking clock and very few options. There are no ticking clocks right now. 

That is why we should be fine waiting until the deadline. He if healthy will be worth the most

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Lol nice try. It's an "Inside the Orioles" writer not a national SI guy....sounds like Elias is doing a fine job greasing local writers and converting them into basically state media.

Unscrupulous but impressive. 

I’ve never heard of the guy.  It was on the Sports Illustrated website so I assumed it was somewhat credible.  I follow the Orioles-related media very closely and this is not a guy I’m familiar with at all.  It was the very first article that came up when I googled Dylan Cease/trade/Orioles.  Try it yourself and see.

4 hours ago, ron883 said:

A back end top 100 guy is extremely unlikely to be as good as Cease is, and the other pieces are almost guaranteed to not be good or even MLB players. 

This is what I'm saying.

We are being gaslit into believing this is the best we can get. I'd rather hang on to Cease if we can't get any actual TOP prospects. MAYO OR BUST. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Southwest Sider said:

This is what I'm saying.

We are being gaslit into believing this is the best we can get. I'd rather hang on to Cease if we can't get any actual TOP prospects. MAYO OR BUST. 

I’m very confident that a righty corner infielder will not be the headliner 

37 minutes ago, Southwest Sider said:

This is what I'm saying.

A trade for a pitcher like Cease should HURT the Orioles to trade for.

Any team can trade away 10 Basabes or Diaz's...but you have to nail the headliner and then decide quantity vs. deeper quality for the second.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I’ve never heard of the guy.  It was on the Sports Illustrated website so I assumed it was somewhat credible.  I follow the Orioles-related media very closely and this is not a guy I’m familiar with at all.  It was the very first article that came up when I googled Dylan Cease/trade/Orioles.  Try it yourself and see.

Technically, I've been published on the SI website (out of SouthSideSox.com). And I will say that the accomplishment holds little credibility. 

11 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Technically, I've been published on the SI website (out of SouthSideSox.com). And I will say that the accomplishment holds little credibility. 

So has Soxtalk.com, for reference.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Choose your fighter!

Player A:

• 3.8 fWAR
  • 3.82 xERA
  • 2nd in Stuff+
  • ~31% slider usage
  • 27th percentile HH %
  • Guaranteed TOR starter

Player B:

• 3.7 fWAR
  • 4.07 xERA
  • 5th in Stuff+
  • ~39% slider usage
  • 32nd percentile HH %

Player A is peak Sandy Koufax and Player B is Chris Flexen minus his 2023.

11 hours ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

Yeah, 2 years isn't controllable. It's a rental. 

2 years IS controllable.  A team could immediately flip the player, trade the player at the upcoming season’s trade deadline, trade the player during the next year’s offseason, or trade the player at the next year’s trade deadline.  That’s 4 total chances to move a player, which is definitely “controllable”.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2