Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

11 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Well they won 100 games, so it worked.

But it was a complete failure in the playoffs.  Of course, if you understand the playoffs and small sample sizes, you know that can happen.

Had they traded for Cease last deadline they still get swept.

There is just absolutely no way you can say that. Very good chance Cease performs better than Cy Grayson's 5 ER in 1.2 IP in game 2 when the O's scored 8 runs but still lost because their SP was dreadful.  But yeah, O's offense was brutal in 2 of 3 games.  

Oh and how can I forget Kremer's 6 ER in 1.2 in game 1. Woof.

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Snowy Demon said:

AL East did not have a down year.  My guess is you are saying the Yankees had down year.  The Red Sox finished last 3 out of last 4 seasons. 

The AL East absolutely dominated the other divisions last season.  Then they got blown away in the playoffs.   Stuff happens.  

I’ll be honest, upon further review, I actually believe the Yankees are a much better trade partner for us.  I’d love to get Kjerstad but just not in love with the next tier of Orioles prospects (not suggesting they are bad, but I’m worried they are a bit overrated).  Yankees can offer pitching in addition to a multi-faceted OF prospect.  And if you really want a middle IF prospect, I’d much rather roll the dice on Arias or Lombard than go with a near 26 year old Ortiz or a one dimensional Norby.  Probably better for both sides if we deal with the Yankees and let the Orioles give up Mayo+ for Miller or Woo.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

The AL East absolutely dominated the other divisions last season.  Then they got blown away in the playoffs.   Stuff happens.  

Totally agree.  

Baltimore won 101, Tampa won 99, Toronto won 89, NYY won 82, Boston won 78.  This was better than any other divisions by a long shot.  There is no way this was a down year by AL East.  

Just now, Snowy Demon said:

Totally agree.  

Baltimore won 101, Tampa won 99, Toronto won 89, NYY won 82, Boston won 78.  This was better than any other divisions by a long shot.  There is no way this was a down year by AL East.  

A down year by AL East = down year for Yankees and Red Sox

58 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Getz wants a lot because he should…other teams don’t want to pay it because they shouldn’t.

The last 80 billion pages of this thread could have just been replaced with this.

59 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Eventually a middle ground will be met with some team. 

But then you have comments like this that make it go 80 billion more.

(Middle ground is not inevitable. You're discounting the possibility of either side reaching a level of desperation that their hand feels forced to make a trade.)

2 minutes ago, Snopek said:

The last 80 billion pages of this thread could have just been replaced with this.

(Middle ground is not inevitable. You're discounting the possibility of either side reaching a level of desperation that their hand feels forced to make a trade.)

Middle ground is always inevitable.  Getz isn’t going to get everything everything he wants…and teams aren’t going to get Cease for the lesser packages they want. There will be some middle ground.

Edited by Sports Guy

22 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’ll be honest, upon further review, I actually believe the Yankees are a much better trade partner for us.  I’d love to get Kjerstad but just not in love with the next tier of Orioles prospects (not suggesting they are bad, but I’m worried they are a bit overrated).  Yankees can offer pitching in addition to a multi-faceted OF prospect.  And if you really want a middle IF prospect, I’d much rather roll the dice on Arias or Lombard than go with a near 26 year old Ortiz or a one dimensional Norby.  Probably better for both sides if we deal with the Yankees and let the Orioles give up Mayo+ for Miller or Woo.

Bring on the Yankees forum members!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

13 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The Orioles rotation right now includes John Means, Dean Kramer, Cole Irvin, & Tyler Wells needing to provide 90 starts or so.  That’s absolutely wild to me for a team that’s aiming to win 100 games again next year.

Also DL Hall.  I dunno, doesn’t sound that terrible to me.  I’d certainly prefer to have another good starter but all those guys have had their moments.  

5 minutes ago, Snopek said:

I’m very certain that Elias will not reach that level of desperation, from watching how he’s operated the last 5 years.  But we don’t even know what “middle ground” means here, since we have no idea what offers have been exchanged.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Also DL Hall.  I dunno, doesn’t sound that terrible to me.  I’d certainly prefer to have another good starter but all those guys have had their moments.  

Are you guys actually going to stretch Hall out in the spring or will you put him in the bullpen right away?  Seems like it’s the latter from everything I’ve read, but obviously you’d know better than me.

1 minute ago, ron883 said:

That Orioles forum literally doesn't let you register unless you say you're an Orioles fan. Which one is the jagoff that told us to register there? 

How did @Chicago White Sox register?  I did notice he listed his favorite Oriole as James McCann.   (No lie.)

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Are you guys actually going to stretch Hall out in the spring or will you put him in the bullpen right away?  Seems like it’s the latter from everything I’ve read, but obviously you’d know better than me.

Right now, the thought is there is no need for him to be a starter.

But if they don’t acquire anyone, they may.  Elias has consistently said he thinks Hall is a starter.

• Like 1