Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

Dipoto up to his BS again.  Weird trade

He takes some money onto his team this year in that trade (potentially offset by money coming back from SF) but removes $25 million a year commitments in 25-26 to Ray.

12 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Guess we were right.  No one wants to throw millions at Snell and Montgomery.

I know teams aren’t afraid to make make major commitments nowadays, but those massive contracts are usually limited to truly elite players where they should be very good with some level of drop-off.  I’d have nightmares being married to Snell & Montgomery for the next seven years at huge AAVs.

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I know teams aren’t afraid to make make major commitments nowadays, but those massive contracts are usually limited to truly elite players where they should be very good with some level of drop-off.  I’d have nightmares being married to Snell & Montgomery for the next seven years at huge AAVs.

Teams never learn.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders/major-league?pos=all&stats=pit&lg=all&qual=y&type=8&month=0&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&players=0&startdate=&enddate=&season1=2021&season=2023

Okay Mr. Sports Guy.

There’s your list.

Have at it.   Corbin Burnes only gives you one year of control, a relatively massive prospect cost and $25 million price tag.

Alcantara…Marlins won’t trade him or Eury Perez but will potentially move Luzardo, massive injury concerns, coming off a down year

Luis Castillo…good luck.

Framber Valdez…good luck.

Woodruff might be the type of deal almost any team in baseball would make for at least two full years of control…knowing it might completely blow up in your face.  White Sox might as well sign him if nobody else will.

Pay Montgomery/Snell $150-200 million.  Haha.  They’re far behind Dylan Cease, btw.

Kershaw and Urias, ha and ha.

Bieber, well-documented…clearly on downside.  More expensive.

Peralta…see Burnes, depends what direction ownership goes with rebuild in MIL.  Especially if Cubs don’t do much more than keep Bellinger.

Musgrove or Darvish…Padres would have to give up at ASB and those are big big big contracts for pitchers that have already peaked in all likelihood.

That’s why Dylan Cease is worth a s%*# ton to roughly 15-18 teams in baseball, if you think coldly and rationally about this list.  Orioles with quite limited options financially.

(Even if FG just posted an article about Gunnar Henderson and Witt Jr. being on Hall of Fame SS tracks...Balt still needs pitching and Kimbrel is already knocking you back 5 games in the standings, lol.)

PS: Also a bit ironic looking at Rodon still holding at #10 after that awful 2023…shows just how good his 2021-22 seasons actually were.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Teams never learn.

This is why definitive declarations on who is available for trade and who isn't and what teams will trade for a given player doesn't make sense. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

I must have missed the Braves and Reds interest still existing.

How many GMs think they have more than enough pitching? These teams would still like to add him, but don't want to pay out there nose with prospects.

I think Getz knows that his asking price for Cease is higher than what teams wanna pay, he's rolling the dice until suitors start falling off the table, that's when you'll see the price come down

100% sure that cease gets dealt, about 90% sure it'll be for way less than what Soxtalk feels is fair

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

We agree.  Time to pay up. 

I think you guys are going to end up being disappointed with the actual deal. Sooner or later Getz is going to either accept what’s on the table, compromise, or hold Cease later. The Orioles learned that lesson when they held Machado too long. 

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

This is why definitive declarations on who is available for trade and who isn't and what teams will trade for a given player doesn't make sense. 

That doesn’t make sense. This literally has nothing to do with my post. You are like 0-126 in understanding/reading comprehension today.

• Haha 1

Just now, Sports Guy said:

That doesn’t make sense. This literally has nothing to do with my post. You are like 0-126 in understanding/reading comprehension today.

Oh now you’ve insulted our board injury expert!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Yet teams that were mentioned a week ago have popped up (Mets, Red Sox, Mariners)

And we have absolutely zero idea how serious it is, especially the Mariners(who just doesn’t make sense). That said, those 2 serious bidders are out. That, by definition, means the options dwindled.

• TLR 1

1 minute ago, Rolle Tide said:

I think you guys are going to end up being disappointed with the actual deal. Sooner or later Getz is going to either accept what’s on the table, compromise, or hold Cease later. The Orioles learned that lesson when they held Machado too long. 

Soxtalk would be disappointed if it was Ohtani. People would complain that he is only a DH next year and the Sox have plenty of them. 

It a message board. 

• Like 2

Just now, Sports Guy said:

And we have absolutely zero idea how serious it is, especially the Mariners(who just doesn’t make sense). That said, those 2 serious bidders are out. That, by definition, means the options dwindled.

Good lord