Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

1 hour ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

#3 or #4 depending on the list. Montgomery and Schultz are easily ahead of him and Quero/Ortiz is a toss up. But it doesn’t matter really because in another year he won’t be on any prospect list because he will have either aged out of the lists or he’ll be in the MLB. The Sox are 2+ years from being competitive again best case scenario. A prospect that turns 26 this season isn’t a great fit for their current situation. Maybe a team like Seattle or Cincinnati would be more interested in him.

Schultz is not in MLBs top 100. Ortiz is number 50. I’d prefer to go with a nonbiased opinion over a White Sox fan,

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Well, that’s only possible if you still think Ortiz is rated the 50th overall prospect in the MLB, which he won’t be due to his age once MLB updates their list.

They just updated it the fall. He will graduate from the list this season whether it’s with the Orioles or somewhere else.

3 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

As diminished as Cease’s stuff was last year, at least according to Balta, he led all of baseball in swords. Those  are ridiculous looking half swings hitters take when they have been fooled.

He was 5th overall in Stuff+ amongst qualified starters last year and 13th out of 127 pitchers with at least 100 innings.  His fastball still ranked as the 8th best in Stuff+ despite the “massive” velocity drop.

It was really just the decline in his slider that hurt him.  And what’s fascinating is the spin rate on his slider (including the active rate) were very consistent year over year.  It’s simply the shape of it that changed, which could be explained by mechanical issues impacting his release point.  But the key here is this isn’t a Lucas Giolito situation where access to the sticky stuff goes away and the spin rates plummet…this 100% feels mechanical to me.  Regardless, the slider was still very effective last year (hence the league leading swords) despite a less impactful shape to it.  I think modern front offices are salivating to get their hands on him and get back to legit TOR form.

2 hours ago, Rolle Tide said:

By the ranking systems he’d be your #2 prospect immediately. I think he has a pretty high floor. His glove will definitely play and there for he’s at least a utility INF. Most of the guys in your top 30 will end up sizzling out (not hacking on your system it’s a reality with most prospects) If he hits .725 OPS plus he’s extremely valuable at SS for you or in trade if/when Montgomery pushes him off SS. It’s great to have 19 year old phenoms ….Teams can overvalue them because of the luster….both will end up be nothing. 

You don’t like Ortiz as a headliner …. noted

But I’m asking you how the ranking system values those various things.  You keep saying he’d be our #2 prospect because of a MLB Pipeline ranking (an outdated one no less) but can’t explain the various factors that go into it.

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

But I’m asking you how the ranking system values those various things.  You keep saying he’d be our #2 prospect because of a MLB Pipeline ranking (an outdated one no less) but can’t explain the various factors that go into it.

How is it outdated? It was the fall rankings and the spring games haven’t started yet. I’m not a professional scout or service and neither is anyone here.

1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Yeah he’s not a better prospect than Schultz and I’d take the 21-year-old Quero as well 

@Rolle Tide - You just “laughed” at the managing editor of our Future Sox prospect website, who is basically the equivalent of Tony over at the Hangout.  To mock a post where he’s simply sharing his opinion is absolutely obnoxious.

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

@Rolle Tide - You just “laughed” at the managing editor of our Future Sox prospect website, who is basically the equivalent of Tony over at the Hangout.  To mock a post where he’s simply sharing his opinion is absolutely obnoxious.

That’s cuz Baltimore prospects are the best, just ask Orioles fans.  The Sox should trade Cease for the prospect that Orioles fans are desperate to move cuz they know he’s old and they have nowhere to play him.

A 25.5 year old headlining “prospect” for a top starter.  GTFOH.

This is comical.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The White Sox are one of the worst franchises in baseball so they can simply be bullied into submission...how much more miserable and pathetic can they get?

Only true Sox fans know how to make light of this situation and propose ridiculously ludicrous moves that don't move the meter...not condescending interlopers lol.

9 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

That’s cuz Baltimore prospects are the best, just ask Orioles fans.  The Sox should trade Cease for the prospect that Orioles fans are desperate to move cuz they know he’s old and they have nowhere to play him.

This is comical.

Even the 5'7"/5'8" Madrigal and Heuer were worth one of the supposedly best closers in baseball just two years ago.

Of course Nicky Two Strikes (an Ortiz comp if everyone there was one) was originally a near consensus top collegian in the entire country.  Somehow the entire industry was nearly consensus-wrong on his defense, speed, base running and leadership qualities.

At any rate, now the Kimbrel Curse has moved on yet again and everything has come full circle. Poor Dodgers and Phillies. Eventually GMs will learn their lesson...even if he does have at least 50/50 odds to make the HoF some day.

Edited by caulfield12

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Question for White Sox fans who are very fixated on Ortiz’s age - why has nobody raised this point about Kjerstad?  He’ll be 25 before the season starts.  He similarly would be playing a couple of years before the Sox are in a position to be good again.   

I have thought of this, but I think his profile is more likely hold a bit longer than one based on defense / range / speed.

13 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

This is comical.

Ok the White Sox land is great …. Great team talent …Great Farm….Great Leadership. Our farm system is ranked #1 just about everywhere. That’s after graduating Westburg, Rutschman, Henderson, Bradish, Kremer, Hall….should I keep going? 

2 minutes ago, Rolle Tide said:

Ok the White Sox land is great …. Great team talent …Great Farm….Great Leadership. Our farm system is ranked #1 just about everywhere. That’s after graduating Westburg, Rutschman, Henderson, Bradish, Kremer, Hall….should I keep going? 

Maybe a silly question but what does that have to do with anything that he said?