The latest Garfien Podcast: What is a "Spa Day"?

vilehoopster

So on the latest Garfien podcast, he and Ryan went on for a while about players sitting out games and taking "spa days". Garfien said something like, "Under Grifol, the players definitely took spa days, and that's on him."  Garfien or Ryan said that what Grifol needs to do the first day of spring training is "take the massage table and flip it over, something about sending the Gatorade flying and making it clear that spa days are over. 

So from this, I assume a spa day is when a player says he has some minor ache and needed to rest it, and instead of playing, that player got a massage and ice bath and all whatever pampering.  

Can anyone explain more in depth what a spa day was for the Sox? Were they as bad as Garfien made them sound?  I don't think we need to wonder who were the guys taking too many spa days?

Edited by vilehoopster
forgot word

10 minutes ago, bmags said:

I don't know, I feel like on off days they would be taking treatments? 

Grifol sucks though.

High level athletes recover with the high end treatments available. Do people think NFL players don’t do the same thing? Different sport obviously, but baseball is an everyday grind. Day in and day out. Players getting treatment for the rigours of the sport shouldn’t be looked down upon as pampering.

With that said, and we obviously don’t know what was really going on behind the scenes, healthy players taking ‘spa days’ during the season would certainly be a bad look for a 100+ loss team. We don’t actually know what was going on though. 

Either way, Pedro sucks and should be gone. This is true no matter what the phrase “spa day” actually means. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Just please turnover most of this roster. Whatever it takes.

Basically impossible to get rid of Benintendi and Moncada without eating a lot of money, though.

IMHO I think Benintendi comes back and has a pretty good year, he was hampered by a bad wrist this past season and speaking from experience wrist injuries take forever to heal. As far as Moncada, somehow someway they have to get rid of him, the guy can’t be counted on and just seems like he doesn’t care, it was more than TA that was a cancer on the team and Moncada is a suspect in my book.

Edited by The Mighty Mite
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

High level athletes recover with the high end treatments available. Do people think NFL players don’t do the same thing? Different sport obviously, but baseball is an everyday grind. Day in and day out. Players getting treatment for the rigours of the sport shouldn’t be looked down upon as pampering.

With that said, and we obviously don’t know what was really going on behind the scenes, healthy players taking ‘spa days’ during the season would certainly be a bad look for a 100+ loss team. We don’t actually know what was going on though. 

Either way, Pedro sucks and should be gone. This is true no matter what the phrase “spa day” actually means. 

But honestly even if players are healthy I expect them to get off days. I'd expect most are targeted to play around 150 games if fully healthy, which would be roughly 3 off games a month.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, The Mighty Mite said:

IMHO I think Benintendi comes back and has a pretty good year, he was hampered by a bad wrist this past season and speaking from experience wrist injuries take forever to heal. As far as Moncada, somehow someway they have to get rid of him, the guy can’t be counted on and just seems like he doesn’t care, it was more than TA that was a cancer on the team and Moncada is a suspect in my book.

How does the wrist explain his awful defense? 

1 hour ago, The Mighty Mite said:

I still hate hearing "oh he had a wrist injury of course he struggled that is obvious everyone should have known that was coming" when no one said "This signing is a bad idea because he's coming off a wrist injury" in the offseason when he was signed.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, bmags said:

But honestly even if players are healthy I expect them to get off days. I'd expect most are targeted to play around 150 games if fully healthy, which would be roughly 3 off games a month.

Completely agree. Baseball is a marathon. Regulars should get rest days throughout the season.

27 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

Hopefully an all around bad year, the guy did win a Gold Glove in 2021. We better hope it was an off year as he has 4 more years left with us.

This one we went over, he literally won a Gold Glove by "Default". He was an average fielder in 2021, and there were literally 2 LF who had more than 800 innings played in the OF all year, and only 1 who played more than 1000 - Benintendi. I believe Vaughn had like the 4th most innings in LF that year. Benintendi was getting that award by playing more innings than anyone else unless he was as bad as Vaughn out there.

2 hours ago, Pale Sox said:

How does the wrist explain his awful defense? 

statistically speaking, AB was a league average RF last year .986 field % vs league .987. range factor 1.99,1.88 vs. league 1.92,1.89. his defense was average.

historically he has been a little above average. he was nowhere near awful. AV and GSheets were awful. when people over state facts they begin to lose

credibility. look for a small bounce bank this year. he is overpaid, but he didn't offer himself the contract. when you have a rotten organization, you have

to do some thing to attract employees.

8 minutes ago, zisk said:

statistically speaking, AB was a league average RF last year .986 field % vs league .987. range factor 1.99,1.88 vs. league 1.92,1.89. his defense was average.

historically he has been a little above average. he was nowhere near awful. AV and GSheets were awful. when people over state facts they begin to lose

credibility. look for a small bounce bank this year. he is overpaid, but he didn't offer himself the contract. when you have a rotten organization, you have

to do some thing to attract employees.

He was in the 2nd percentile for OAA last year. 

I don't know why the thread went in this direction but I really am curious about how/why Benintendi played so badly on D last year. Early on, I remember a small number of clear misplays that any fielder would be expected to catch. But by end of season I feel like his shortcomings on D were not very obvious by the eye test which suggests he was basically just moving slowly out there either due to a physical problem, effort problem, or inability to read a fly ball.

1 minute ago, Jake said:

I don't know why the thread went in this direction but I really am curious about how/why Benintendi played so badly on D last year. Early on, I remember a small number of clear misplays that any fielder would be expected to catch. But by end of season I feel like his shortcomings on D were not very obvious by the eye test which suggests he was basically just moving slowly out there either due to a physical problem, effort problem, or inability to read a fly ball.

He seemed pretty average to me. Hope he can get really hot at some point, and if he does, Getz is smart enough to trade him if someone will take him. There might be stretches, maybe even a season he is well worth what they pay him, but overall he’s a big waste of money. Getting that contract off the books would be a nice move.