Ohtani Watch: Dodgers sign - 700M over 10yrs

caulfield12

Ohtani to the Blue Jays is the best scenario, provided he doesn't do the craziest thing ever and sign with the White Sox on a 10 year $100M deal with a plethora boosters and elevators making the deal worth as much as $101M.

Puts pressure on Baltimore to make a deal for Cease.
Possibly makes the Dodgers desperate to get Cease.
Keeps the Dodgers from getting every damn thing they want.
And it's just different...not the same handful of teams making big deals.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, chw42 said:

Or trade for Cease

3 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

Ohtani to the Blue Jays is the best scenario, provided he doesn't do the craziest thing ever and sign with the White Sox on a 10 year $100M deal with a plethora boosters and elevators making the deal worth as much as $101M.

Puts pressure on Baltimore to make a deal for Cease.
Possibly makes the Dodgers desperate to get Cease.
Keeps the Dodgers from getting every damn thing they want.
And it's just different...not the same handful of teams making big deals.

I’m not sure if it helps us make a deal with LAD. If anything, I’d think it makes them more likely to spend money on pitching instead, allowing them to continue to clutch prospects. 

Agree on BAL though. 

2 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

This would shock me. If true, I gotta imagine the Dodgers are about to spend some angry money on the top pitchers remaining. 

Yamamoto's landing spot suddenly becomes fascinating.

If he lands in NY - especially the Yankees - suddenly Cease becomes a very, very hot commodity.

• Like 1

Key to Rogers’ pitch was something no other team could offer: the ability to command the attention of an entire country. The Blue Jays have been Canada’s only major league team since the Montreal Expos relocated to Washington, D.C. before the 2005 season.

So JR helped Toronto land him. 

7 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Surely, the Dodgers can just declare that they're signing Ohtani, also. If enough people start to believe that, who can really say what team he's on?

This is really funny to imagine.   And then to prevent Ohtani from confirming his real destination in interviews, all these fake Ohtani impersonators appear for each team, each excited to get going in spring training.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Snopek said:

Blake Snell 18 yr/$120 billion deal incoming

I feel like the Dodgers are too smart to sign a guy like Snell to a huge deal, whose peripherals are nowhere near as good as his numbers were this year. In both of his CY years, his peripherals lagged behind his ERA quite a bit and we saw how that played out in between his 2 CY awards. 

10 minutes ago, chw42 said:

I feel like the Dodgers are too smart to sign a guy like Snell to a huge deal, whose peripherals are nowhere near as good as his numbers were this year. In both of his CY years, his peripherals lagged behind his ERA quite a bit and we saw how that played out in between his 2 CY awards. 

For sure. I actually think they’re too smart to sign Snell at all. Just amusing myself at the idea of a reactionary rage signing if Ohtani goes to Toronto.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Key to Rogers’ pitch was something no other team could offer: the ability to command the attention of an entire country. The Blue Jays have been Canada’s only major league team since the Montreal Expos relocated to Washington, D.C. before the 2005 season.

So JR helped Toronto land him. 

A whole country that has roughly the same population as California?  That doesn't make a whole lot of sense. 

3 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I think the emphasis is more on being the only team in the country whereas California has 5.

Well sure, but what % of Canadians even give a crap about baseball?  Just seems like an odd reason for a guy that doesn't really seem like he's motivated by attention.